Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Our NAVs SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 AM
bigpei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you change the Navi Zone?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by roseyhebert
This is the whole reason I didn't want nav on my G. I had it on my old G coupe and it sucked massive *****. It's like the sport seats I didn't want because that thigh extender hurt the back of my legs. I love my car even if I don't have the options you all do. I especially love not having those 19 inch rims! Guess you can say that I am a minimalist.
You must be a minimalist, my dear

Oh yeah, BJ did you punch it yet?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Snareman

I feel your pain BLackjack. I wonder if maybe its just built in NAV's. I have the exact same issues with the nav on my 335. I was driving from Dayton to South Bend, IN. BMW nave told me 6h. My Garmin told me 4!! So I made the trip with 2 Nav's and listened to the Garmin.

I'll drive somewhere around town, have my nav set for shortest time. I'll recognize that its taking me a longer way and go what I know as the shorter route. It will then recalculate and come up with a shorter time after it starts going my way. So I'm like, if you can calculate that this is a shorter time, why the heck didn't you take me this way!

I don't know what's up with these things.

With my G35 I always seemed to be able to knock about 10min/h off the drive time it suggested. The day I sold it I discovered that you could set your average highway speed and I had mine set to 55. Oops. Not that that would affect the routing.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
mal_TX

Manufacturer is Clarion, not Zenrin. Zenrin _used_ to provide the map data, that data will now be provided by NavTeQ going forward (same ppl mapquest uses).
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Snareman

Well, navteq is what BMW uses, so based on my experience I'm not sure things are going to improve much.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Snareman

I just wrote to Navteq to see what they had to say about my routing issues. I'm not hoping for much.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM
mal_TX

NavTeq is only going to supply the data. The logic comes from Clarion. And for what it is worth, NavTeq will likely provide MUCH better data than Zenrin did.

Better data maybe equal better routing, if the problem w/ the route is that the data is not representing available roads well.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Snareman

Originally Posted by mal_TX
NavTeq is only going to supply the data. The logic comes from Clarion. And for what it is worth, NavTeq will likely provide MUCH better data than Zenrin did.

Better data maybe equal better routing, if the problem w/ the route is that the data is not representing available roads well.
So is the origin of the problem with Clarion or Navteq? i.e who do you complain to?

A little OT, but does anyone else think that the Infiniti nav talks too much? It always annoyed me with my G35. The BMW lady is much more concise and non-repetitive.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Navteq provides the mapping.
Zenrin provides the software.

I think it's Zenrin's problem.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Snareman

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Navteq provides the mapping.
Zenrin provides the software.

I think it's Zenrin's problem.
Well, I guess I'll see what Navteq says when/if they write back to me. Maybe they'll pass the buck and refer me to whoever does the BMW software.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 PM
teedough

i think infiniti navi works great. my dad's sc430 has crappier resolution
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by teedough
i think infiniti navi works great.
Well, I guess thats a little subjective. Sure, it works and will get you where you're going, but as pointed out my Blackjack, not as well as it could. I was relatively happy with my BMW nav until I tried a 4 (or as it said, 6h) trip with it. At least the BMW nav lets me do stuff while I'm driving faster tham 2mph.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Who needs a working NAVI when you can have Fender Vents!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Snareman
A little OT, but does anyone else think that the Infiniti nav talks too much? It always annoyed me with my G35. The BMW lady is much more concise and non-repetitive.
LOL, I agree, I hate when it tells me to continue going straight. WTF? How about just let me know when I have to turn.

"Keep doing exactly what you are doing".....duh!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Snareman

Originally Posted by Kidcane
LOL, I agree, I hate when it tells me to continue going straight. WTF? How about just let me know when I have to turn.

"Keep doing exactly what you are doing".....duh!
I always found myself yelling at her when she'd repeated the same long highway name with turns for the 3rd time in 15sec while I'm trying to listen to an audio book.

Just tell me the highway name, etc as I'm getting close and then when I get to it tell me to turn now. When I got my BMW I thought the nav instructions were a little odd and I didn't understand them, but now I really like and prefer them to my G35.

Quick Reply: Our NAVs SUCK!