Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

A REALLY technical ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A REALLY technical ipod question

You know how you hit "Disc/Aux" button or the "Source" button to switch between Radio/Sat/Nav/Disc/Ipod etc. but is there a way to atually detect if you have switched to Ipod Input? I want to know if there is a signal maybe from a couple of wires that lets me know when I am in Ipod mode. I want to read this signal from Ipod Interface or from NAV unit..wherever. I was thinking about this for sometime now and have a couple of ideas I want to try out tomorrow. Anybody has any suggestions? or any clues? I'm half way done through a 3rd generation dvd bypass system
Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Another question for those of you who have an Ipod. When you plug your Ipod in using Infiniti Ipod Connector does it charge all the time or only when you are switched to Ipod Aux Input on your vehicle? Please check guys if you don't mind. Help is very much appreciated.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I plug my IPod in it switches to the IPod automatically. Can this be turned off? Read the manual and it might tell you.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bboysteele
If I plug my IPod in it switches to the IPod automatically. Can this be turned off? Read the manual and it might tell you.

I assume your Ipod charges from the vehicle while your NAV system is in Ipod mode, correct? Does your Ipod still charge if let's say you switch your NAV system to CD player or Radio?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
iPod charges anytime it's plugged in.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 PM
elite

4G Nano does not charge.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by elite
4G Nano does not charge.
Elite,

So it does not charge once you switch your NAV to let's say radio, right? But it does charge if you switch to Ipod mode on your NAV, correct?

Many thanks to everybody!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
elite

Originally Posted by delfin2003
Elite,

So it does not charge once you switch your NAV to let's say radio, right? But it does charge if you switch to Ipod mode on your NAV, correct?

Many thanks to everybody!
It will not charge new iPod nanos at all. No matter what mode.

It will charge older iPods in any mode. As long as your car is on.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Ok, question answered! Thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
ecn113

Anyone have the pinout for the infiniti ipod connector? I think their maybe a pin that becomes active when switched to ipod mode similar to the control wire for a car amplifier that is connected to the igintion.

If you can find the pinout you can use a Digital Multimeter to check if the voltage on that pin changes when switching to ipod mode.

How are you going to use this?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ecn113
Anyone have the pinout for the infiniti ipod connector? I think their maybe a pin that becomes active when switched to ipod mode similar to the control wire for a car amplifier that is connected to the igintion.

If you can find the pinout you can use a Digital Multimeter to check if the voltage on that pin changes when switching to ipod mode.

How are you going to use this?

Here is the Ipod connection,

http://public.fotki.com/infinitimods.../ipodconn.html

But I don't think there is anything to test...what do you think?
Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

by the way, i'm trying to find that active pin that you are talking about...anybody here knows!? come on guys!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 AM
ecn113

I can't view the pic right now but will later this evening. I am thinking you are trying to find the pin that goes active when the ipod is selected so you can use that signal to activate a normally closed relay. When the relay is actived it can be used to open the connection or switch to the connection (i.e to ground). This is basically how the KP technologies unit work except they use the "OK" button to do this.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ecn113
I can't view the pic right now but will later this evening. I am thinking you are trying to find the pin that goes active when the ipod is selected so you can use that signal to activate a normally closed relay. When the relay is actived it can be used to open the connection or switch to the connection (i.e to ground). This is basically how the KP technologies unit work except they use the "OK" button to do this.
Yes, you are right. I need that signal to activate a relay. Do you know any detail about how they do it with "OK" button? Actually, I realized today that Ipod connection will not do me any good. I'll need to find a way to do it while my NAV is switched to AUX Video input instead of Ipod. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 PM
ecn113

They solder two wires on the back of that control module that are connected to the OK button, this is then connected to the relay. I would do the same test that was going to be done with the ipod. Get a multimeter and check the L/R audio and Video RCA jacks in the center console whe you switch to AUX. Check differnt paramters like voltage, resistance, and capaciatnce. If you can find a pattern where say the resistance changes on one of the RCA plugs you may be able to put to getter a sensor that will sense resistance change and output a voltage. This may start getting into using a microcontroller which may be more trouble than you are looking for.

Quick Reply: A REALLY technical ipod question