Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 AM
CrackHeadMonsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio upgrade

This is my next project for my G.

I have already JL's 500/1, 300/4 and 2-8W7's.

Ordering,

Boston SPZ60's
http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/ca...product_id=400

Rockford 3SIXTY.2
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=

^^^This thing is an animal!!!!

Stinger battery
http://www.stingerelectronics.com/pr...-1&ParentID=-1 <<-- Have this already in my wife's car. Put a system in there too

Wanna have some glass work done this time, last system I had was a box and amp rack setup. Something much more custom but most of all sound the best it can.

I'll update as I go
Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 AM
silent9o8

Dynaudio 362 + Tru Amp = Godlike
Old 10-31-2008, 03:18 AM
CrackHeadMonsta

Wow those look great!!

My friend is a sales rep for boston so I'll be getting them cheaper than dealers price.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 PM
koelzmod

nn

Originally Posted by CrackHeadMonsta
This is my next project for my G.

I have already JL's 500/1, 300/4 and 2-8W7's.

Ordering,

Boston SPZ60's
http://mobile.bostonacoustics.com/ca...product_id=400

Rockford 3SIXTY.2
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...en_US&p_status=

^^^This thing is an animal!!!!

Stinger battery
http://www.stingerelectronics.com/pr...-1&ParentID=-1 <<-- Have this already in my wife's car. Put a system in there too

Wanna have some glass work done this time, last system I had was a box and amp rack setup. Something much more custom but most of all sound the best it can.

I'll update as I go
Not to sound stupid but, what speakers are you going to replace with the spz60's and what speakers are replacing the other speakers. I have been out of car audio for about 20 years, so I trying to learn about the new stuff.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

I find audio upgrades funny, especially on a car with a sound system as good as a G. I usually tend to be really very picky about sound quality (speakers for my TV, headphones, etc.), but I find the Bose speakers to be quite nice. The volume and bass both go way louder than I'll ever think to go to, and the quality--while it isn't the absolute best thing that exists--is top notch. Maybe upgrades could make things slightly improved, but I couldn't see it being worth any time or money. Then again, to each his own, but it just doesn't really make sense to me.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 PM
619G-ride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i prefer dynaudio over boston any day. to be honest i wasnt very impressed by boston when they did a demonstration for me. the only product i really like are there oval shaped subs (forgot the model). if it were me id go rainbow, dynaudio, or focal for sure. with the dyn and focal put a nice 3 way set up in factory locations FTMFW! the rockford 360 is nice but after usin both that and the audiocontrol, id take audiocontrol any day over the RF360. stinger aftermarket batts are good too!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by soldier9599
I find audio upgrades funny, especially on a car with a sound system as good as a G. I usually tend to be really very picky about sound quality (speakers for my TV, headphones, etc.), but I find the Bose speakers to be quite nice. The volume and bass both go way louder than I'll ever think to go to, and the quality--while it isn't the absolute best thing that exists--is top notch. Maybe upgrades could make things slightly improved, but I couldn't see it being worth any time or money. Then again, to each his own, but it just doesn't really make sense to me.
Not intended to be negative in meaning, but your standard of "good sound quality" is not really up to par with most car/home audio enthusiasts. Saying the Bose is good in sound quality is somewhat true, but in the way that a Honda civic is uber good in the low end car line. If you ever heard a properly installed and applied after market sound system in the G, you would never look at almost any stock car system as good.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by koelzmod
Not to sound stupid but, what speakers are you going to replace with the spz60's and what speakers are replacing the other speakers. I have been out of car audio for about 20 years, so I trying to learn about the new stuff.
HAHA...I was out of it for like 6 yrs and was lost until I got back into it again. Must be like learning a new language to you! LOL Honestly, the main differences between then and now is amp output and DSP. Other than that, HU have actually gotten worse with quality of signal output and speakers are speakers!
Old 11-01-2008, 12:51 AM
silent9o8

Dynaudio will blow the G37s 11 speakers away with a good tube amp hands down not even funny.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
CrackHeadMonsta

If it has no high's and no low's then it must be Bose.

Bose is junk and for most consumers, it sounds better than what they have at home. IMHO

Tube amps are the best but damn they're expensive.

If I had the money, McIntosh all the way.

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/Car-Audio.asp

In my wife's car, all components are Focal 165 KPS and love them but I want more power this time.

Koelzmod, I'm only replacing the speakers in the door and deading the rest of them. And being at 150watt rms each, it's sufficiant, the bass will fill up the car.
With 3Sixty's timealignment, I will be in the center of it all.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 PM
silent9o8

mmmm Mcintosh +1 !! but I love TRU audison is nice to id go mcintosh to but id have empty pockets

Bose is junk and for most consumers, it sounds better than what they have at home. IMHO

In my wife's car, all components are Focal 165 KPS and love them but I want more power this time.

Koelzmod, I'm only replacing the speakers in the door and deading the rest of them. And being at 150watt rms each, it's sufficiant, the bass will fill up the car.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM
dillyyo

If you like distortion and altered sound. Amps should be only a gain stage and not alter the sound from its original intended source.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Well, I've heard lots of custom audio systems in cars, but none of them sounded as good as the Bose. The only benefits of the ones I have personally seen were that they went disgustingly loud. I guess they sound better at super loud volume, but they were nothing special at normal volume. The Bose is not as good as my sound system in my home (I would never buy Bose speakers or headphones), but it's pretty much the best thing that I've heard in a car. Maybe you are going for a sound system for a different reason than the people who owned the ones I've seen, it's just that from my experience I've never seen anything else than people only trying to make their music retardedly loud.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 PM
CrackHeadMonsta

Yea, I like distortion dillyyo........
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
dillyyo

Yea, I like distortion dillyyo........
I wasn't being a wise ****. You do realize the measured distortion levels on tube amps, right? Its a well known and acceptable characteristic to people who like that sound.

Quick Reply: Audio upgrade