Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review of Magden Computer for the G37

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
of Magden Computer for the G37

I will tell you guys and gals that anyone who is going to be tuning, tracking, and/or boosting their car will need to get this system. Here are the three different templates that can be used:

Traditional

Secant

DataLab

Out of these three templates, I find myself choosing the Secant one. I think the Traditional view looks the best but it is a little hard for me to view the numbers whereas the other two give you an number readout instead of having to view the meter to find where it is hitting on the scale. I think the limitation is the connector that Infiniti provided. If the connection was a S-Video or better yet DVI or VGA then this wouldn't be a problem because the text for the meters would be a little sharper. Regardless it still usable with the Traditional template but the other two are just easier to read.

Here is a Video of the magic KP module. The KP module is like Clark Kent but with the hidden powers revealed it becomes Superman!!! BTW, do not PM me about how to do this because I payed a shop to do it for me. And it is against forum rules to discuss how this is done. Now I will give any of you advise on how to get a shop to do this. The shop I went to did this because I had them install the Magden computer as well and since the Magden computer is not a true video source like a DVD player they said that they could install it for me. I am not saying that every shop will do this but you might want to talk to the install manager and let them see the equipment and let them know it is just a gauge unit for your car so you can monitor performance while driving or tracking. And if you are doing a bypass so you can view video while driving then you are an idiot.

BTW: The rumor or assumption that the KP module will only work for 20 seconds and then turns off is not exactly true. It does have the ability to do this but it also has two other modes which are to have the unit turn off only when you hold down the OK button again, or to turn off when you hold down the OK button or turn your car off.

The readouts on the Magden computer are great. One thing I was worried about and have heard stories about was on the amount of lag that these systems have when displaying info (such as the HKS system from what I heard). I swear if there is any lag on here it is minimal. I checked this out by viewing the RPM gauge as I reved and the readout on both were identical.

I have not been able to check out the Power Run feature since I have not be able to do the gear calibration. It is hard to find a long flat road here to do this so I will be doing this tomorrow on the dyno since I can keep the car at 2500RPM for each gear that they system needs to get the reading. I will update this when I try the Power Run feature out but from what I read it seems really cool.

One of the best selling points on this system is the ability to log data on the car. Now why would you want to do this? Simple, you can log your data on the car when you dyno it to have the tuner correct variables and get more power out of the car. This is going to be needed for anyone that is getting a Cobb AP or UpRev system because it will allow you to send them the log data and they can create a custom map for you that will be any Stage 1 or 2 map they have on their sites. The site maps are like store bought pants. Sure they do the job but they will never beat a custom made pair of pants that were made specifically for you. Now worrying about there not being enough pocket room, @$$ room, or crouch room with your own custom pants. The ability for this system to log is by far one of the best things.

One other major factor that this system kills others is the fact that Magden seems to care about this system and takes advice from people that are buying this system. They are coming out with updates to enhance this system to make it better and to provide more functionality. The ability to create custom skins for example. The ability to have more color options is another thing. This system can be upgraded and Magden talks feedback so some of these options people want might be in a future software release. Don't worry Blackjack, I talked to Magden and he is working on your Pink letter for the gauges and a half naked Vin Diesel background for you.

Here are the Layouts available with skins, indicators, and gauge text for each Layout:

Traditional:
Skins
  1. Black Matte
  2. Pearl White
  3. Carbon Fiber
  4. Aluminum
  5. Contrast
Indicator
  1. Orange
  2. Green
  3. Blue
  4. Red
  5. White
Gauge Text
  1. Green
  2. Orange
  3. White
  4. Blue
  5. Red
  6. Black

Secant
Skins
  1. Carbon Ice
  2. Black Matte
  3. Aluminum
  4. Blue Glow
  5. Green Glow
  6. Orange Glow
Indicator
  1. Orange
  2. Green
  3. Chrome
  4. White
  5. Blue
Gauge Text
  1. Green
  2. Orange
  3. White
  4. Blue
  5. Red
  6. Black

DataLab
Skins
  1. Chrome
  2. Aluminum
  3. Black Matte
  4. Black Ice
  5. Carbon Fiber
Indicator
  1. Blue
  2. Green
  3. Orange
  4. Steel
  5. White
Gauge Text
  1. Green
  2. Orange
  3. White
  4. Blue
  5. Black

Here is my center console. The installer did a great job. The power cable that you see is for my phone and not the Magden computer. The power cable for that was wired into the system like on DiesalDoug's system.

Pro:
  • The ability to Data log
  • The lack of lag to display car sensor data
  • The ability to change the displays to your liking
  • The ability to upgrade the system with additional sensors
  • Customer service provided by the maker
  • The Power run feature which sounds cool but I still need to test.

Con:
  • The only real con I can think of it not really due to this system but the limitations of the Infiniti LCD and that would be the clarity of the gauge text when viewing the Traditional Layout.
  • One feature that would be nice on this system would be the ability to view SES codes and to clear them. This system doesn't do that as far as I have found but maybe that could be a feature that could be added.
Here are some more pics:

Also Magden is looking at making the unit have the ability to have audible warnings and maybe text warnings in the near future. One addition that they will be adding according to Magden is the ability to set limit markers on the gauges yourself. For example, the red line for the G37 RPM gauge is 7500 but if you get a reflash that allows you to take it to 8500 then you can change the red line limit on the gauge. Setting limits for other gauges such as Engine Coolant Temp will be great as well.

BTW, thanks go out to Lou at Ampd, DieselDoug, and MaxToTheG37 for your help with this.

Last edited by bboysteele; 10-24-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome review bboy!!! Lookin good.

Do you have to use a mouse or is it still touchscreen?

Last edited by Blackjack; 10-24-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Fill your placeholder Blackjack....man this took a long time to write.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
great review BBOYSTEEL, I just finish installing mine in the trunk along with my Zapco amplifiers.

As for blackjacks question, the touchscreen function for the magden only works with an aftermarket screen like a liliput but im working on adding a touchscreen skin over our nav screen to make it work. That would be after sema.

Heres some pics of the magden computer installed with my amplifiers

Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy chit, Lou!!! That looks fvcking fantastic!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the info Lou... Looks great!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I was going to take some pictures of my install today but then Lou posted his install pics and now I am ashamed of my install. Thanks Lou. lol

Blackjack, I bought the same mouse pointer that DieselDoug bought for his Magden. The thing is great and is small as well so it easily fits in the cup holder section.

If anyone whats a particular screen shot of a particular layout with a certain skin and colors then let me know in a post and I will take a screen shot and add it to the review. I added all the current options to the review so take a look. There are to many options and combos so I didn't take a pic of them, just some of the ones I like and use but if you want to see a certain combo then let me know.

Last edited by bboysteele; 10-25-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
great review....
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great review Bboy.

When running the unit the aux input needs to be selected so I would definitly mention that being able to listen to radio or ipod is not going to happen. However, if you get a headphone 1/8 inch stereo to 2 RCA(white and red) you could still listen to an ipod, but you would have to change tracks on the ipod not the screen. Thats another con I would mention, but it could have that workaround.

Also, can you set a default to have the aux display when the car starts? I know it's more of an infiniti/kp thing, but was wondering if that is possible.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:32 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by willizm
Great review Bboy.

When running the unit the aux input needs to be selected so I would definitly mention that being able to listen to radio or ipod is not going to happen. However, if you get a headphone 1/8 inch stereo to 2 RCA(white and red) you could still listen to an ipod, but you would have to change tracks on the ipod not the screen. Thats another con I would mention, but it could have that workaround.

Also, can you set a default to have the aux display when the car starts? I know it's more of an infiniti/kp thing, but was wondering if that is possible.
During the Stillen runs today my car always started in Aux. If my car was turned off in the Aux mode it came up in the Aux mode. Not sure if I am answering your question right so if I am not then let me know.

I thought about the music thing as well but, at least for me, it will be an easy fix due to exactly what you suggested and since the IPod has great playlist that you can create, I can just play one for hours without having to worry about messing with it if needed.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 AM
561g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so u guys r saying that if i buy this and the cobb ap i can use both of them 2 increase the performance of my g?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 561g37
so u guys r saying that if i buy this and the cobb ap i can use both of them 2 increase the performance of my g?
Yes and no. The Magden computer will allow you to monitor your car and to log data which can be sent to a tunner like Cobb to create custom maps to increase the performance of your G.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang, this thing is awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Hawaiian72099

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I read on that Cobb Thread, you will be able to download something from their site so that the Accessport will be able to data log. I myself was thinking about getting the Magden Comp, but if Cobb is going to release that download I don't think I will be needing the Magden anymore. But when they will release that is the question lol.

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Yes and no. The Magden computer will allow you to monitor your car and to log data which can be sent to a tunner like Cobb to create custom maps to increase the performance of your G.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:21 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

The ability to data log is just an additional benefit of the Magden computer. The real use and benefit is the ability to monitor your car in real time and in a safe way. The Cobb AP does have the ability to monitor some stuff if I remember correctly but how in their right mind would try to look at their AP and drive their car at the same time especially if they are on a track. Plus if you are going to boost your car in the future the Magden system with additional sensors can display gauges that you should have to monitor your setup. The system just makes sense to me. If you are looking for something just to data log then I wouldn't recommend this.

Quick Reply: Review of Magden Computer for the G37