Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Audio automatically switches to iPod ~10sec after car starts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio automatically switches to iPod ~10sec after car starts...

Every time I start my car, after about 10 seconds, the audio automatically switches over to my iPod. Whether I was listening to the radio, or a CD, no matter. After about 10 seconds of listening to whatever I was when I turned the car off, on comes the iPod. And to add insult to injury, it doesn't even start playing. It just switches the interface over the iPod without playing it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a problem with the car, or a problem with the iPod? I mean, it's not a big deal to just change it back to the radio every time, but it's getting annoying after a few days. Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:30 PM
AndrewDDS

And please don't bust out the smarta$$ responses and say "unplug the iPod."
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

unplug the iPod

JK lol.. sometimes whenever I start my car it goes to the ipod too.. but then I just hit the SAT button and go back to what I was listening to.. idk if this is an issue or is there a reason to this?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Peter NY

If you leave your ipod connected when you leave your car it discharges the ipod battery because the auto-shut off on the ipod gets disabled. therefore when you first turn your car on, the ipod battery is dead the the car doesnt detect it. After a few seconds the ipod turns on because it begins to charge and the car assumes that you just plugged it in.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

^^ there's my solution. It all makes sense.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Foresite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It happens to me too. The problem isn't that I have to go back to what I was listening to. The problem is that if I was listening to the Ipod, it goes back to the start of the Ipod. In fact, it goes back to the menu. Is there a way to resolve this WITHOUT unplugging the Ipod?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read Peter's response.

The only known fix so far is to upgrade the software on your IPod. This has solved the "no sleep mode" for most if not all the IPods that had this issue.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
bfranks

It really seems to depend on what Ipod you have. I have 4 (160 gig, 30 gig, 40 gig, and a nano), and two of the four had this issue. One (the 30 gig) was resolved by upgrading the firmware, but the other (nano) still does it no matter what I try. It's annoying, so I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:05 PM
elMoi

There have been a couple of threads on this.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthr...=ipod+stays+on

and another I couldn't find right now. But some people said upgrading the firmware worked for them. It didn't for me. And some said making sure the 'lock' switch on the iPod was off worked. That seemed to work for me for a while but I'm still having the same problem. I might try a different cable. to see if that works. My iPod's are a couple of years old so it might be the connectors/firmware. not sure. I might check with Infiniti next time I go in and see if I can get a new cable people have been mentioning.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

There is a TSB on the cable so take your car to the dealership and give them the TSB number which is in the TSB section and they can look it up for you.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
oct2274

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Read Peter's response.

The only known fix so far is to upgrade the software on your IPod. This has solved the "no sleep mode" for most if not all the IPods that had this issue.
Upgrading the firmware on my old 3g ipod definitely doesn't fix this issue and either does the cable. Maybe someone can make a list of IPOD's that actually work correctly in our car?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:13 PM
bfranks

I have a 40 gig 3rd gen and it works fine. It doesn't seem to be a matter of which types / generation of ipod you have. Two people can have the exact same ipod, and one will work and the other won't. It's very frustrating.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

My only other suggestion would be to do a reset on the IPod and see if that works. I know on my IPod Classic to do the reset you press and hold the menu and enter (center) button at the same time for about 10 seconds I think. It then reboots. You might want to look up the reboot process for your IPod and see if this works. It might just be a stuck process which a reboot should clear.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out the final fix for this? I have the same issue on my 30Gb ipod that's driving me nuts. Firmware update doesn't seem to fix the issue. Is there a TSB on this yet?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM
AndrewDDS

Way to resurrect the old thread!! And no... At least I haven't figured it out yet.

Quick Reply: Audio automatically switches to iPod ~10sec after car starts...