Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

MP3s to hard disk - How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM
deerpark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MP3s to hard disk - How?

I own a G35 but have been wondering about the G37's 9gb hard disk. How do you get 9gb of MP3s on to the G37's hard disk? Via Blue tooth? Transfer cable from an iPod? Copying from a CD?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry, but you can't. you can only rip cd's on the hd.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM
deerpark

>> you can only rip cd's on the hd.

Are these CDs plain old audio CDs or MP3 CDs? Please don't tell me it can only plain old audio CDs. If this is the case, then this stereo system seems worse than the 2005's 6 CD MP3 system.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 PM
rrrevin

Audio CDs.

The only reason I can think of is to appease RIAA. It "proves" you have the original media and aren't just pirating music..
Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
deerpark

I thought I read something about a RAM card. Can one copy MP3s from the card? I also saw a photo of a cable connected to an iPod. Can one play tunes from an iPod or Zune instead?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by deerpark
>> you can only rip cd's on the hd.

Are these CDs plain old audio CDs or MP3 CDs? Please don't tell me it can only plain old audio CDs. If this is the case, then this stereo system seems worse than the 2005's 6 CD MP3 system.
Not to mention the time it takes to Rip audio CD's to the HD. By far the best way to deal with MP3 playback is to get an Ipod. Easy and fast MP3 transfer from your computer, including playlists, artist, genre ect. I use Windows Media Player 11 and a Ipod plug in to manage my Ipod, works great! Some folks complain about the fact you can store so much music on the Ipod its difficult to scroll through all the options to find your song, however I disagree.. you can create playlist and use genre classifications to organize your music. 80Gb of MP3's > then 6 CDs by far.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 PM
deerpark

By far the best way to deal with MP3 playback is to get an Ipod.
When you connect an iPod to a G37 console via cable, does the "navigation panel" on the G37 display the artist name, track name, album name as per the ID3 tag? Or is the "navigation panel" display oblivious to the fact that it is being fed tunes via an external iPod? And what about the RAM card I heard about?
Old 09-27-2008, 01:34 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

When you connect an iPod to a G37 console via cable, does the "navigation panel" on the G37 display the artist name, track name, album name as per the ID3 tag? Or is the "navigation panel" display oblivious to the fact that it is being fed tunes via an external iPod? And what about the RAM card I heard about?
The ipod interface is easy to use IMO, much better than other implementations in other cars that i have used.

One way to get mp3's onto the hdd would be through a cd-rw i assume, write 10-15 songs and rip them to the onboard hdd, then erase and repeat? There is also the CF card option if you have the navigation package.

The interface on screen for ipod connection does indeed show artist, songs, albums, genre's, and even lets you set a mood for the songs.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:13 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
One way to get mp3's onto the hdd would be through a cd-rw i assume, write 10-15 songs and rip them to the onboard hdd, then erase and repeat? There is also the CF card option if you have the navigation package.
Is this confirmed? I can either write 10-15 mp3s on a cd rw and copy to the hdd or transfer from cf to the hdd?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
You cannot copy mp3 CDs only wav format CDs. Originally I did not like the idea of only have one CD slot vs. 6 but if you rip 40-50 CDs to the hard drive it's a lot more efficient down the road. It takes about 12 minutes (3-4 songs) to rip a CD.

No way to transfer from CF to HDD.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes you can navigate via artist, song, genre alblum, playlist ect.. I don't beleive there is a mood selection, Music box offers that but you can create playlists to simulate that feature as well. Honestly there's no need to look past the IPod interface... nothing else compares to it and the best thing is it's not locked out for selection while you're moving.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:18 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
You cannot copy mp3 CDs only wav format CDs. Originally I did not like the idea of only have one CD slot vs. 6 but if you rip 40-50 CDs to the hard drive it's a lot more efficient down the road. It takes about 12 minutes (3-4 songs) to rip a CD.

No way to transfer from CF to HDD.
OUCH...thanks for the info diamondgcoupe....i guess ill just bite the bullet and purchase and ipod...im just an apple hater, hence the bitterness...
Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 AM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

ok so i was about to purchase a compact flash card and a buddy told me that his gf's 08 nissan pathfinder (which kinda has the same audio console as ours) can only read a 2gb CF. he said that if u put a CF that is bigger than 2gb...it will only read up to 2 gbs only. is this the same case for us g37 owners? does anyone here have a CF that is bigger than a 2gb and reads ALL the memory? sorry for the noobness...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
TopTech

I use a 4GB CF card. The limit is the number of songs, not the GB. It's either 500 or 512 songs. So it depends on how big the files are. This has already been discussed ad infinitum.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
OGtripleOG37
Registered Member

thanks top tech

Quick Reply: MP3s to hard disk - How?