Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

A pair of 12s IB in a G37?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fcarpio
First I would like to apologize if I am hacking this thread, this is not my intention. But like the title says, how about 4 x 10's and you keep your ENTIRE trunk? I just wanted to give you guys another option.

The picture is of my G37, please consider that this is still work in progress, but you can clearly see the concept. The subs will be mounted on both side panels next to the rear seats.

What do you think?

FC

Is that a pseudo-IB setup or are there enclosures behind the baffle? What subs do you plan on using? I would have two concerns with either setup:

1. If it is an IB setup then I would be concerned with the lack of sepration of the front and rear waves from the subs and lots of nulls with frequency cancellations.

2. If sealed then I would worry about enclosure volume with the size baffle that you have present. Would probably not have much problems in the upper sub bass regions but low frequencies would barely be existant.

Elaborate please!!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo

Is that a pseudo-IB setup or are there enclosures behind the baffle? What subs do you plan on using? I would have two concerns with either setup:

1. If it is an IB setup then I would be concerned with the lack of sepration of the front and rear waves from the subs and lots of nulls with frequency cancellations.

2. If sealed then I would worry about enclosure volume with the size baffle that you have present. Would probably not have much problems in the upper sub bass regions but low frequencies would barely be existant.

Elaborate please!!
I am using the DLS free air subs.

1. There will be separation. The baffle is sealed, see the detail on the picture. The baffle is 1/4 inch MDF with an aluminum plate for strength. The rear of the cavity that leads to the trunk is open inside the trunk. I may seal the trunk were you have your subs mounted or at the end of the cavity inside the trunk. The cavity's opening inside the trunk is just a slit where I can stuff with foam for a temporary seal to test. I will try both and keep whichever sounds better.

2. N/A.

How about those pics now? I will post more of mine after the 28th.

FC

Last edited by fcarpio; 09-20-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:42 PM
dillyyo

I am using the DLS free air subs.

1. There will be separation. The baffle is sealed, see the detail on the picture. The baffle is 1/4 inch MDF with an aluminum plate for strength. The rear of the cavity that leads to the trunk is open inside the trunk. I may seal the trunk were you have your subs mounted or at the end of the cavity inside the trunk. The cavity's opening inside the trunk is just a slit where I can stuff with foam for a temporary seal to test. I will try both and keep whichever sounds better.

2. N/A.

How about those pics now? I will post more of mine after the 28th.

FC

Here is the thread the first pics were posted in. My friend Don was the installer and Dyn distributer. This is only of the front stage and my amp rack is yet to be completed.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/181395-more-door-pics-with-some-measurements.html

I just looked and didn't realize the area left of the baffle in that pic was closed off. Do you have to modify the side panel at all? If it works well I might have to dump two more of the Dyn 190's in the same area!! LOL
Old 09-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good dillyo. I'm sure thats setup works great since its done exactly like mine with my IDQ'S. Like you said, no SPL monster but enough for SQ(SOUND QUALITY). SQ FTW

Did you seal the rear deck speakers or did you leave them wide open or just left them stock?
Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 PM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Here is the thread the first pics were posted in. My friend Don was the installer and Dyn distributer. This is only of the front stage and my amp rack is yet to be completed.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181395

I just looked and didn't realize the area left of the baffle in that pic was closed off. Do you have to modify the side panel at all? If it works well I might have to dump two more of the Dyn 190's in the same area!! LOL
Yes, the side panel had to be cut a little bit to fit the magnets. Each cut looked like a half moon, nothing major.

Nice front stage, I was torn between yours (Dyns), DLS Nobeliums with the dome Iridium mid, and the HAT. I ended up with the HAT Legatia L831 set. I will post pics later...
Old 09-21-2008, 12:02 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by ampdG37
Looks good dillyo. I'm sure thats setup works great since its done exactly like mine with my IDQ'S. Like you said, no SPL monster but enough for SQ(SOUND QUALITY). SQ FTW

Did you seal the rear deck speakers or did you leave them wide open or just left them stock?
Good point! You may have to do some sealing around that area. I definitely know there are two openings in the trunk that connect to the side panels in the rear seats. You can see the opening from the trunk once you remove the side liners. It runs along the height of the trunk, I wish I had my car to take a picture of it. Do you know what I am talking about? Did you seal those? That could be the reason why you are not getting SPL out of it.

I once heard a similar IB setup as yours on a Camry that was running two JL 12W6's with the JL 500/1 (yes, I am positive it was an IB setup) and it was low, clean and loud as hell.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:45 AM
dillyyo

Yes, the side panel had to be cut a little bit to fit the magnets. Each cut looked like a half moon, nothing major.

Nice front stage, I was torn between yours (Dyns), DLS Nobeliums with the dome Iridium mid, and the HAT. I ended up with the HAT Legatia L831 set. I will post pics later...
Do me a favor if you can......save me an outline of the baffle if you have it. I am now seriously contemplating putting 2 more 190's in those side rear spots. I have no problem cutting as long as safety integrity is not compromised.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:49 AM
dillyyo

Yeah, SQ is excellent. Can't wait till the DSP8 comes out as I want control of the sub and I want to bandpass it so I have a sub sonic filter. Only have like 360 -400 going to them now but on really low end stuff I start to bottom out the sub. It's too dramatic for me not to have something on the bottom end.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Good point! You may have to do some sealing around that area. I definitely know there are two openings in the trunk that connect to the side panels in the rear seats. You can see the opening from the trunk once you remove the side liners. It runs along the height of the trunk, I wish I had my car to take a picture of it. Do you know what I am talking about? Did you seal those? That could be the reason why you are not getting SPL out of it.

I once heard a similar IB setup as yours on a Camry that was running two JL 12W6's with the JL 500/1 (yes, I am positive it was an IB setup) and it was low, clean and loud as hell.
I sealed those holes with dynamat both sides from the cabin and from the trunk.

My SETUP was tuned for SQ. Gains on my Zapco DC REF for the sup is at -8. When i had it at 0(higest), it was loud, clean and deep, plenty of SPL there.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:55 AM
dillyyo

I also have to finish sealing off those spots. I'm thinking if I go with the two 190's in the side panels I could just leave them open and share the space. Not sure where they lead to throughout the side cavity though.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

2-12 IB SETUP is plenty, don't do it..lol

IMHO, THE 12'S are enough. Specially if your only doing the front stage replacement like i did(morels)
Old 09-21-2008, 01:10 AM
dillyyo

IMHO, THE 12'S are enough. Specially if your only doing the front stage replacement like i did(morels)
I dont use the rear or side speakers. The 2 12's are good except for the really low stuff. I'm going to first try and seal off as much as I can and use the sub sonic filter and see if I can clean it up some. Other than that I get good enough SPL with material I am guesstimating is probably like 40~ hz and above.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Jamaica2G
Florida G35 Club, General Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed two Ascendant Audio subs (specially configured for IB) in my G35 and it is by far the cleanest system I have ever owned. There are a lot of little places where air can get through so you have to be freaking thorough. I cut myself numerous times getting into those nooks & crannies. Don't forget over the wheel wells , there is a space that can let air back through to the passenger compartment, seal that off. The entire rear shelf, and just go right around the entire trunk with Dynamat or a GOOD substitute.

I hope you tune it nicely. do you have an aftermarket head unit? If you can't tune it correctly, ask someone with some audio know-how for some help.

Adrian
Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Jamaica2G
I installed two Ascendant Audio subs (specially configured for IB) in my G35 and it is by far the cleanest system I have ever owned. There are a lot of little places where air can get through so you have to be freaking thorough. I cut myself numerous times getting into those nooks & crannies. Don't forget over the wheel wells , there is a space that can let air back through to the passenger compartment, seal that off. The entire rear shelf, and just go right around the entire trunk with Dynamat or a GOOD substitute.

I hope you tune it nicely. do you have an aftermarket head unit? If you can't tune it correctly, ask someone with some audio know-how for some help.

Adrian

I have yet to seal off everything as I am still constructing my rack, which will be a under a flase floor. I am not sure what you mean by "tuning" as it's IB. The speakers Fs will be its tuning frequency. It is relatively flat in response now. Just need to bandpass the sub as I am currently using a DSP6 for my front stage. When the DSP8 comes out then I will be able to bandpass the substage. Figure a HP 12dB slope at like 30 hz should be good.

As I said, stock head unit with all crossovers, TA, Phase, gain, EQ, gain etc controlled through the DSP6
Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 AM
fcarpio

Agree, I admit my 4 x 10 are overkill. I rather have more than I need than less. When you have more you can always tone it down. When you have less you are up the creek.

Quick Reply: A pair of 12s IB in a G37?