Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Magden install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Man that is the biznass! Very nice install. I like!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
UpRev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magden makes some bad *** equipment. John talked to Magnus for some time at SEMA and is real impressed with the quality of the equipment and knowledge they have.

If you guys get a chance to see any of it in person you'll be amazed by not only the quality but the functionality.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was wondering if there are any major differences between the Magden unit and HKS's CAMP2: http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3474

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 09-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:19 AM
rossab

Looks the the HKS unit can integrate with the F-Con... If I had a million dollars...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:30 PM
magnus

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Was wondering if there are any major differences between the Magden unit and HKS's CAMP2: http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=3474
Ok. I finally sat down and started researching CAMP2, which is definitely a competing product to the M.1. I'll try to keep the comparison as unbiased as possible, but please bear in mind that I do represent Magden here. Since I haven't used a CAMP2, I may also be wrong in some of my assesments.

Both our systems extract engine data and optional extra sensors in order to display them on a screen.

A side by side comparison yields the following pros and cons.

Things that CAMP2 has that M.1 does not:
+ ECO drive
This mode allows you to calculate fuel consumption and cost for a given distance driven. Although I do not agree with how they designed the user interface, this is a nice feature that we have in the pipeline as well (with some extra things) for future releases. We do, however, display real-time MPG in our current release.

+ F-Con mapping mode
Allows you to change the mapping of HKS' own standalone ECU.

+ Consult-I mode.
This mode reads high-speed ECU data from older Nissans such as the Skyline. We implemented the protocol for the M.1 that we (may) have featured in the upcoming Fast and Furious (4) movie, but we haven't released it since we think that the market for Consult-I vehicles is too small to be worth the effort.

+ More gauges on screen.
We chose to limit ourselves to five gauges due to the speed of the OBD-II port (see Speed paragraph below), while CAMP2 has up to seven gauges.
----

Things that M.1 has that CAMP2 does not.
+ More graphics options.
We have (stock) three main layouts, where each layout has multiple background skins, gauge materials and text colors, giving the owner far more options to customize the M.1. I will leave to others to judge whose graphics is better looking.

+ Dynamic HP and Torque.
After a power run, which writes a HP and torque curve to any inserted USB stick and shows you peak dynamic HP and torque, the M.1 will show you real-time HP/torque.

+ Gear Position
Shows you the current gear for your manual or automatic transmission. (Requires that the vehicle can be locked in a specific gear during calibration.)

+ Longitudinal acceleration
Given in thousands of a G. If you log this channel you can see your peak acceleration.

+ More flexible logging to USB stick.
CAMP2 is limited to ten minutes of logging, while the M.1 can log 19 days on the 1GB USB stick that comes with the unit. You can also log multiple sessions with the M.1, storing each session in a separate file on the stick.
Most importantly, you can plug the USB stick with your logs into your PC and analyze your logs in Excel or a data log analytics software, such as Lou has already done on this forum.

+ VGA or DVI touchscreen support.
We output a composite video signal just like CAMP2, but we also support VGA or DVI touchscreens from Lilliput, Xenarc and others. The VGA (and especially DVI) image quality is superior to that of composite video.

+ Upgrades and expansions.
This is potentially the biggest difference between CAMP2 and the M.1. While CAMP2 allows you to attach extra sensors, you are pretty much locked into HKS own extensions.

We designed the M.1 to integrate with a wide variety of other companies' hardware and allow it to be upgraded with new features over the Internet. Right now, we are working hard on interfacing various sensor packages (Zeitronix zt-2 and Innovate LC-1 are first out), and protocols so that we can widen the usability of an existing M.1 box, thus protecting the initial M.1 investment that our customer made.

+ Speed (long, and a bit philosophical)
If you have a look at this video at 1:08, you will see that the update speed of the CAMP2 on a Nissan 350Z is very slow. This is not due to the CAMP2 itself, but rather because of the OBD-II protocol used by the Z. There are several variants of the OBD-II protocol, and the ISO-9141/KWP-2000 version is almost always too slow to be useful for serious tuning.

Please note that the G37 uses the fast CAN version of OBD-II, with data channels being sampled at 20hz. So no need to worry.

While CAMP2 seems to accept this slow data rate (5Hz in the 350Z case), and have slow vehicles on their approved application list, we keep those cars off our list until we have implemented the OEM specific high-speed protocol that is almost always available in the OBD-II connector.

An example of this is the Evo IX which is dog slow over standard OBD-II (ISO-9141 again), but gives us 60hz sampling rate over the MUT-III protocol that we are finishing up right now.

John@Uprev and I are also trying to synchronize our stressed out days enough so that we can implement the Consult2 protocol available in the 350Z.

The bottom line is that we would not recommend the M.1 in a vehicle where it would just look pretty, but could not do serious work.

I hope you find this useful. Please correct me If I am wrong in any of my conclusions about the CAMP2.

/Magnus F.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very useful info. Thanks, Magnus.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for posting up on that..
Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Dieseldoug22, can you tell me the length of the serial cable you bought and what presentation point mouse you bought? I am getting mine installed Wednesday so I need to pick this stuff up before I take it to get installed. I could just guess on the each but since you have it installed already I figured you would know what size cable is best. I will be installing mine in the same spot since we have no room under either of our seats.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the 6' cable. I think the there is just like one small coil to take up the slack, so it was just the right size. And for the mouse I used a Targus Notebook Wireless Presenter. Kind of expensive but really cool and easy to use. Plug and play.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
I went with the 6' cable. I think the there is just like one small coil to take up the slack, so it was just the right size. And for the mouse I used a Targus Notebook Wireless Presenter. Kind of expensive but really cool and easy to use. Plug and play.
Thanks Doug. I am getting mine installed Wednesday along with the KP Nav module with the "special" connection to allow this to run. Your setup looks nice but I like the KP module a little better due to it being a cleaner look since you activate it with the OK button on the Nav plus you it has the added feature of selecting the OK button on the screen so I never have to do that again.

BTW, how are you liking the Magden? Are the readouts pretty fast or is there a lag? Enough info for you to monitor? I will be doing my review on this after it is installed and of course taking some pictures. Not sure if I can match your review but I will try.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Dieseldoug22

The readouts on the Magden are instantaneous. Which makes it fun to try and read because things change so fast in this car.
Not to poo poo on KP but double check the module. If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, but the module reverts back to the stock setting after 20 seconds of inactivity. So you have to hit the "enter" button every 15 seconds to have the screen visible. Remember info is power.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
The readouts on the Magden are instantaneous. Which makes it fun to try and read because things change so fast in this car.
Not to poo poo on KP but double check the module. If I am not mistaken, and please correct me if I am wrong, but the module reverts back to the stock setting after 20 seconds of inactivity. So you have to hit the "enter" button every 15 seconds to have the screen visible. Remember info is power.
Na, there is three setting that you can chose from:

The AUX output can be programmed to operate in three different modes – On/Off,
Memory On/Off, and VSS Bypass. To trigger the AUX output depress the ‘OK’ button
for at least 1 second, release it, and then press the ‘OK’ button again within 1 second.
With the optional KPtechnologies Audible Beeper installed the beeper will emit one short
beep when the AUX output turns on and two short beeps when the AUX output turns off
regardless of which mode is chosen.

On/Off (Mode 1) – Every time the AUX output is triggered the output will
alternate states. When the car is first started this output will always be off.
Memory On/Off
(Mode 2) – Every time the AUX output is triggered the output
will alternate states. Each time the car is started the AUX output will revert to the
state it was in when the ignition was last shut off.

VDC Bypass (Mode 3) – Triggering the AUX output will cause the output to turn
on for 20 seconds. However, while the output is on each time the ‘OK’ button is
pushed the 20 second timer will be reset back to 20 seconds. This allows the VSS
signal to be bypassed as long as information is being programmed in to the
navigation unit. Once data entry ceases the AUX output will automatically shut
off as soon as the timer expires.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/docs/N...stallation.pdf
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Dieseldoug22

That's cool. I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. Good luck with the install. I know you will love the functionality of the unit.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

bboy, are those the features of the Nav Interface? I have one sitting at home but can't really check or test it out til I go back in December
Old 10-13-2008, 02:05 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gmlee86
bboy, are those the features of the Nav Interface? I have one sitting at home but can't really check or test it out til I go back in December
Not sure what you mean. The function of the Nav interface is to press the ok button that shows up on the screen when you start the car with the nav on and it also allows you use the Nav while you drive. The thing I posted is the different modes for the Nav bypass that you can choose. If you are talking about the subject that cannot be talked about here then No the Nav bypass does not do that. Well not normally.

Quick Reply: Magden install