Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Magden install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:09 AM
chamelieon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks great man!! what have you noticed about the throttle signals.. does it do what your pedal is doing or have you noticed anything about it?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:12 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Thanks for the pics! those look much better than the initial pictures i saw of the Magden on screen, which it was kind of like it didn't fit on the screen very well, but yours is perfect.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Doug, GREAT JOB on the Install
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn thats pretty badass Doug. Great job on the install
Old 09-08-2008, 03:27 PM
magnus

Originally Posted by homelessdrunk
what else can magden do
We are working on various upgrades for the M.1.

Next release, 1.1.0, of the system software (which will be available as a free download) will have the ability to integrate with the Zt-2 sensor package as well as the LC-1 wideband lambda sensor. The data stream from these sensors will be seamlessly merged with the data from the diagnostic port, giving you a single coherent picture of all your engine data.

These packages are useful if you add a turbo or supercharger and need to monitor boost pressure, AFR for each cylinder bank, exhaust gas temperature and other critical information.

With 1.1.0 we will also create a specific version of the M.1 for the Mitsu Evo IX, which will support their high speed MUT-III diagnostic port protocol. We are also working on the Subaru SSM high speed protocol as well as AEM ECU integration, but that is a couple of months down the road.

The M.1 hardware has fairly good capacity for graphics, video and audio, and we intend to provide our clients with a stream of free and for-pay upgrades so that they can add features and extensions to their unit.

/Magnus F.
Magden Automotive.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awesome, Doug! Great work as always.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Comatose

Great work, dd! But given that you're tapping into the aux for video in, im guessing you cannot listen to music while the madgen display is up?

Have you considered tapping into alternative video-in sources, such as the backup camera composite lines?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magnus
We are working on various upgrades for the M.1.

Next release, 1.1.0, of the system software (which will be available as a free download) will have the ability to integrate with the Zt-2 sensor package as well as the LC-1 wideband lambda sensor. The data stream from these sensors will be seamlessly merged with the data from the diagnostic port, giving you a single coherent picture of all your engine data.

These packages are useful if you add a turbo or supercharger and need to monitor boost pressure, AFR for each cylinder bank, exhaust gas temperature and other critical information.

With 1.1.0 we will also create a specific version of the M.1 for the Mitsu Evo IX, which will support their high speed MUT-III diagnostic port protocol. We are also working on the Subaru SSM high speed protocol as well as AEM ECU integration, but that is a couple of months down the road.

The M.1 hardware has fairly good capacity for graphics, video and audio, and we intend to provide our clients with a stream of free and for-pay upgrades so that they can add features and extensions to their unit.

/Magnus F.
Magden Automotive.
How about a custom MYG37.com skin or maybe a Ampd skin?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
How about a custom MYG37.com skin or maybe a Ampd skin?
I've discussed that possibility with them. Still on the works
Old 09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
magnus

Originally Posted by ampdG37
I've discussed that possibility with them. Still on the works
As Lou pointed out, we are talking about it.

The technical aspects are trivial. We just need a background image, such as the one attached, for each layout (secants, datalab and traditional). We would then make an add-on download containing the extra graphics.
The download would be available from this website, or we can install it at our production line for all Lou's units.

We worked *very* hard in decoupling the graphics from the program code. New layouts (with gauges etc) are usually a question of creating the gauge animations in Flash or 3D Studio max and tie the result to various data streams such as RPM etc. As an example, the entire datalab implementation is less than 800 lines of code.

And yes, we will try to release some of our tools in the future so that people can create their own skins.

/Magnus F.
Attached Thumbnails Magden install-example.jpg  
Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
dillyyo

No disrespect intended and maybe I am wrong, but this system seems to be primarily for show, as monitoring of these variables is needless, unless significantly modifying the engine, no? Will future functionality of the system encompass the ability to manipulate engine mapping variables or is this already a functionality?
Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
No disrespect intended and maybe I am wrong, but this system seems to be primarily for show, as monitoring of these variables is needless, unless significantly modifying the engine, no? Will future functionality of the system encompass the ability to manipulate engine mapping variables or is this already a functionality?
I cannot answer for this company but I don't think it will have any ability to map anything on the car. It is a nice application especially if you are racing, tracking, or going Forced Induction since it allows you to view temp and other variables of the car that are nice to see especially during racing. For example, the individuals that have been having issues with taking their G37 above 6k RPM while tracking after awhile and thinking it might be due to oil temp could use this to monitor the temp of the oil and other sections. The cobb also looks to allow you to see this same stuff but as far as I know you cannot output it to the G37 screen so it is kinda worthless to use while driving. It is good for after the fact stuff but not during. Just my opinion. Anyone with experience please speak up.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by Comatose
Great work, dd! But given that you're tapping into the aux for video in, im guessing you cannot listen to music while the madgen display is up?

Have you considered tapping into alternative video-in sources, such as the backup camera composite lines?
You are right, you can't hear any other source while you are in AUX mode. But the audio inputs of the AUX input are still open, so if you have an MP3 player just get an adapter that has the RCA connectors and you can listen to your MP3 while watching the Magden.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Dieseldoug22

Originally Posted by chamelieon
looks great man!! what have you noticed about the throttle signals.. does it do what your pedal is doing or have you noticed anything about it?
While datalogging before against Ampd's car and Da Hashi's car, their throttle bodies opened half way, then paused and then opened up the rest of the way. That was with mashing the peddle. With the programming from Technosquare that I have, the throttle opened fully almost immediately. I haven't yet been able to test if the throttle closes as it nears redline.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
magnus

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I cannot answer for this company but I don't think it will have any ability to map anything on the car. It is a nice application especially if you are racing, tracking, or going Forced Induction since it allows you to view temp and other variables of the car that are nice to see especially during racing. For example, the individuals that have been having issues with taking their G37 above 6k RPM while tracking after awhile and thinking it might be due to oil temp could use this to monitor the temp of the oil and other sections. The cobb also looks to allow you to see this same stuff but as far as I know you cannot output it to the G37 screen so it is kinda worthless to use while driving. It is good for after the fact stuff but not during. Just my opinion. Anyone with experience please speak up.
You summarized the whole thing quite nicely. The purpose of the M.1 is to validate your upgrades and monitor your engine in real-time by replacing a whole cluster of traditional gauges with something that gives you the complete picture in a single glance.

/Magnus F.

Quick Reply: Magden install