Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

new to forum - new to CF card reader

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 PM
nosocoeckodoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forum - new to CF card reader

Good Evening All!

Let me first start by saying WOW, I've been driving pathfinders all of my life and I am very glad for the changeover to this beautiful machine.

To get to the point, I was searching this forum and 6mt.net however could not find anything regarding the compact flash. Just a bunch of posts talking about mod'ing the harddrive and all that good stuff. However I really just would like someone to verify if the CF only can read 2GB and how/what card I should buy so I can transfer from my PC to the CF card on say a weekly basis.

Anyhow, thank you for your time and I hope everyone had a great labor day weekend.

08 black on black g37s with the premium and nav features.. oh yeah and the infinity lights that blind you when you open your door so i keep my sunglasses on before i step out at night!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe 2Gb was the limit, its also 256 files if I remember right as well. Honestly I'd invest in an Ipod. You can get a plugin for Windows Media player and use it to sync instead of Itunes and it allows you to navigate while the car is moving picking songs by artist, genre, album ect... best musc option on the G by far IMO. I've got near 60Gb of tunes, various self improvement audio courses, 5 audiobooks in mp3 and 4 language courses, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish and French on it!

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 09-02-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ only thing about the iPod is that it won't turn off by itself. Due to that fact alone, I much prefer the CF slot.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM
RedG37SNC

Sure it does, I believe you need to set the sleep feature on the ipod. I leave mine in the car and never have to take it out and charge it.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Sure it does, I believe you need to set the sleep feature on the ipod. I leave mine in the car and never have to take it out and charge it.
You got it to turn off automatically when the car turns off? Do tell...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:15 AM
nosocoeckodoz

I had an IPOD and carelessly lost it, actually I think I left it in my tradein ,, Anyhow maybe now is a good time to buy a new one, im sure there are some labor day specials around.

The only thing that I may still get a CF card for is for faster transfering of newer music. I spend a lot of time on a PC whether it be at work or at home or when im not driving my new car . So I dont mind deleting files and that sort of thing. What bothered me was the Apple/Ipod interface and how you had to go about deleting songs and the sorts. My old unit kenwood dnx7100 came with a great USB attachment that made uploading photos/videos and playing music wonderful - as flash drives are much cheaper then these CF cards. Perhaps the Digital Camera world is not ready to give up cheap Gigs to fans who take over 100 pictures an hour. Anyhow, I only have uploaded two cd's to music box, not a big fan of it spending the time it does to record/copy the music.

Also took out of my pathfinder a 12" Kicker L7, not sure if I am going to add another 12" (perhaps a JL W3) due to the amount of trunk space.

And as this is a lease (although I fall in love with the car more and more everytime i get behind the wheel) i do not feel I am going to mod it out much until I am sure I plan on buying it.

Anyhow, all in all wonderful car, love it!

Is there an easy way to transfer from pc to cf or are we past that now?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 AM
nosocoeckodoz

Originally Posted by JLai
You got it to turn off automatically when the car turns off? Do tell...
I would think the IPOD would charge while plugged in... As if it were connected to anything else that ipods connect to (minus headphones)
Old 09-02-2008, 01:20 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by nosocoeckodoz
I would think the IPOD would charge while plugged in... As if it were connected to anything else that ipods connect to (minus headphones)
It charges fine. I'm trying to figure out how you got yours to turn off automatically when the car shuts down and turn on automatically when the car starts up.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:33 AM
RedG37SNC

When the power is turned off on the car, the IPOD isn't charging. I just looked at it and it's blacked out sleeping. When I start the car.. it comes on and is then charging and is connected for access. The interface is designed that way as you would expect just so you can leave it in the car and not have to pull it out to charge.. that would be useless. I have a 80Gig Ipod classic. I do have auto sleep enabled on the Ipod but I don' t think that has anything to do with it.

Maybe we can get some more folks to confirm theirs shuts off.

OP, you can completely manage the songs on the Ipod and transfer from WMP...don't need to delete them via the device itself. It couldn't be any easier or faster. http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/

As to getting them on a CF.. just copy..drag and drop to your CF drive on the PC.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 AM
JLai

When the power is turned off on the car, the IPOD isn't charging. I just looked at it and it's blacked out sleeping.
Which is why I'm trying to figure out what settings you're using, b/c mine doesn't enter sleep mode. I checked it right after I turned my car off and the iPod is still on, but now running on batteries. I'll mess with it again this weekend and try to get it to mimic yours where it turns off automatically.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:37 AM
nosocoeckodoz

OP?

Anyhow - Are you suggesting to purchase this software? Will the 30 day trial give me a clear idea if it is worth it or not to have vs ITUNES?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Evening All!

Let me first start by saying WOW, I've been driving pathfinders all of my life and I am very glad for the changeover to this beautiful machine.

To get to the point, I was searching this forum and 6mt.net however could not find anything regarding the compact flash. Just a bunch of posts talking about mod'ing the harddrive and all that good stuff. However I really just would like someone to verify if the CF only can read 2GB and how/what card I should buy so I can transfer from my PC to the CF card on say a weekly basis.

Anyhow, thank you for your time and I hope everyone had a great labor day weekend.

08 black on black g37s with the premium and nav features.. oh yeah and the infinity lights that blind you when you open your door so i keep my sunglasses on before i step out at night!
The CF slot will read bigger CF cards. It is not limited to 2GBs. It is limited on the number of file/folders it can read. I believe the limit is 512 file/folders. Anything more than that number then it won't read. The 2GB limit that you read about is due to 2GB being a good number for getting 512 files. With bigger cards, you can put more on them and then they don't read so that is why people say it is limited to 2gig cards.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:46 AM
RedG37SNC

OP?

Anyhow - Are you suggesting to purchase this software? Will the 30 day trial give me a clear idea if it is worth it or not to have vs ITUNES?
OP= Original Poster.. ie you.

Sure, I love the plug in, using it with Vista 32bit, highly recommend it.

On the power issue, with the power off on the car the effect would be the same as the ipod cable plugged into the ipod and nothing else. If your's is staying on, perhaps you have a bad cable, or they made a connection error. Dealer visit time.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:53 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP= Original Poster.. ie you.

Sure, I love the plug in, using it with Vista 32bit, highly recommend it.

On the power issue, with the power off on the car the effect would be the same as the ipod cable plugged into the ipod and nothing else. If your's is staying on, perhaps you have a bad cable, or they made a connection error. Dealer visit time.
I highly doubt it is the cable or connection. The issue is (especially if you have an IPod classic) that you need to update the software on the IPod. This has fixed the power off issue with the IPod for those that had it. Plug it into your Itunes and update the software on the IPod. There have been a couple threads on this already.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I highly doubt it is the cable or connection. The issue is (especially if you have an IPod classic) that you need to update the software on the IPod. This has fixed the power off issue with the IPod for those that had it. Plug it into your Itunes and update the software on the IPod. There have been a couple threads on this already.
Thanks! Gonna try it this weekend.

Quick Reply: new to forum - new to CF card reader