Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Engine Noise on new Audio install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:41 PM
mike1007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Noise on new Audio install

I just installed Rockford T162Ss in the front with a 801x amp. I tapped into the pre-amp signals in the trunk, removed BOSE amp and woofer. I am getting a lot of engine noise in the system. I did tap into the same power source that the BOSE amp used for my amp, did not receive my amp kit yet - however I was only powering one woofer and had a lot of engine noise. Any suggestions? I am worried even I install a separate cable for the 801x amp I'll run into the same issue.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by mike1007
I just installed Rockford T162Ss in the front with a 801x amp. I tapped into the pre-amp signals in the trunk, removed BOSE amp and woofer. I am getting a lot of engine noise in the system. I did tap into the same power source that the BOSE amp used for my amp, did not receive my amp kit yet - however I was only powering one woofer and had a lot of engine noise. Any suggestions? I am worried even I install a separate cable for the 801x amp I'll run into the same issue.

Thanks
The signal coming from the Bose HU is a balanced signal. If you are only using the respective channel's + and - wires, you will get bad engine noise. About a foot back of the signal wire bundle, you will see a shield around the + and - signal wires. You need to use this shield wire. If your amp does not accept a balanced signal then you need a balance to unbalanced conversion. If your amp does take a balanced input then you need to splice in its respective connector.

Keep in mind that if this is just a signal for a sub, the noise might not be as prevelant.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
mike1007

This is for a component set of speakers. The amp only has a RCA pre-amp input. My understanding is that a balanced signal contains two signal wires, one is inverted, and a sheild. The RCA only has two connections, signal and sheild, therefore it would seem this amp does not support balanced signals? I send an email to RF (its a Punch 801x amp - 2003) for confirmation. Can you recommend a balanced to unbalanced converter?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you saying that you are using the Stock Bose Power Wire to power your Rockford amp??????
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
mike1007

For testing only until my amp install kit comes in, have one test woofer hooked up.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
dillyyo

This is for a component set of speakers. The amp only has a RCA pre-amp input. My understanding is that a balanced signal contains two signal wires, one is inverted, and a sheild. The RCA only has two connections, signal and sheild, therefore it would seem this amp does not support balanced signals? I send an email to RF (its a Punch 801x amp - 2003) for confirmation. Can you recommend a balanced to unbalanced converter?
You can use a Zapco SLB-R or SLB-R4. Difference is that one takes two channels of input (ex front left and right signals) and the other takes 4 channels (ex front and rear L/R). Personally I don't have rear speakers so i was not worried about fading from front to back. If this is your case then just get the SLB-R and use the front left and right signal wires for inputs.

How you need t do this, whether you go 2 channels or 4 channels, is getting either 1 or 2 Zapco Symbilink cable(s). Get the 1.5 ft cable with the male ends. You would cut the wire and you will see 6 small wires and shielding. All shielding needs to be twisted together and a wire needs to be connected to the shielding that is around the stock speaker wiring. Then you will need to take for ex. the right + and - wires from the stock wiring and splice it into the Symbilink cable. Once you are done with the wiring, you would just plug the symbilink cable into the SLB-R and then connect a pair of male to male RCA's into your amp and you are done.

The slb-r costs probably like $80 and the cable will be like 20. It's a little confusing, but if you need help then just call me and I can talk you through step by step and it will be pretty easy.

BTW, I also have an older version of the SLB-R just sitting around and it's yours if you pay for shipping. Just have to make sure it has two sets of RCA out, which I am almost positive it does.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
mike1007

Thanks for the explanation, seems simple enough. I really hate to loose fading capability. Problem is where can I purchase the cable and SLB-R4? I did a search online and didn't seem to locate any retailers, will try ebay when I get home (its blocked at work).
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
mike1007

I was just wondering, since my 801x amp has high level inputs it seems that it might be easier to just use the speaker outputs from the bose amp instead of going thru the trouble of converting the balanced signals to unbalanced. Would you loose much compared to the pre-amps? and if so is it even noticable?
Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
dillyyo

I was just wondering, since my 801x amp has high level inputs it seems that it might be easier to just use the speaker outputs from the bose amp instead of going thru the trouble of converting the balanced signals to unbalanced. Would you loose much compared to the pre-amps? and if so is it even noticable?
You will notice because you will be getting the Bose amp EQ'ing curve. certain frequencies will be attenuated, boosted etc. Believe me, use the balanced signal coming from the HU and just splice in the Symbilink cable(s) and use the line driver. You will be able to send a nice hot signal to your RF amp and get full potential with ZERO noise.

If you want to keep fader abilities then buy the 4 channel SLB and 2 cables or by one 2 channel and just use the one I have sitting around. It's a different color but who cares as long as it works. If you want to order any of these things just tell me and I will give you a good guys number who can get it for you, authorized. If you are on the west coast then there are a ton of shops that carry Zapco stuff and they can get it for you.

BTW, if you want to call me then please PM me and I will shoot you my number.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:20 PM
mike1007

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what I decide. My brother has a CleanSweep he's not using, got it for his car but he decided to change the head unit also. I looked at the specs and the output type is listed as "Unbalanced, via RCA Jacks". I'll hook it up this weekend.