Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Installing Amp and Subs in G37

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ Good Luck Ryan! Were you able to talk to MegaMax yesterday?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
The signal from the HU is a blanaced signal. You will need to either have amps that take in a balanced signal or you will need a balanced to unbalanced converter, not a Hi-Lo converter. If you just try to tap into the + and - signals with RCA's you will get bad noise.
i'm really confused about this stuff.

dillyyo, what do u suggest to tap into?
cus i think OP is doing what DieselDoug suggested
Old 09-02-2008, 06:05 PM
rizpac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackjack
^^ Good Luck Ryan! Were you able to talk to MegaMax yesterday?
Nahh.. didnt make it by-- figured they would prob be closed for the holiday..
but i'm gonna try to go tomorrow after work..will let ya know what they say
Ryan
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
i'm really confused about this stuff.

dillyyo, what do u suggest to tap into?
cus i think OP is doing what DieselDoug suggested
It all depends on what you plan are setting up. If you are dropping in a completly new system, but leaving the stock HU, then I suggest tapping into the signal before the BOSE amps and using some type of balanced to unbalanced conversion. unless your amps can take balanced inputs and then all you need to do is splice in the respective adapter. If you are just adding a sub then you might want to just add something like a cleansweep and tap into the signal after the amp. The last thing I would do is tap into the signal after the BOSE amps without putting in something like a cleansweep (signal flattening device) because you would just end up amplifying the BOSE EQ'ing of the signal.

I don't recall off hand what Diesel Doug did so I can't comment, but these are basically the available options. Without tapping the signal before the BOSE amps or some signal flattening device, sound will suffer azz IMHO.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

It all depends on what you plan are setting up. If you are dropping in a completly new system, but leaving the stock HU, then I suggest tapping into the signal before the BOSE amps and using some type of balanced to unbalanced conversion. unless your amps can take balanced inputs and then all you need to do is splice in the respective adapter. If you are just adding a sub then you might want to just add something like a cleansweep and tap into the signal after the amp. The last thing I would do is tap into the signal after the BOSE amps without putting in something like a cleansweep (signal flattening device) because you would just end up amplifying the BOSE EQ'ing of the signal.

I don't recall off hand what Diesel Doug did so I can't comment, but these are basically the available options. Without tapping the signal before the BOSE amps or some signal flattening device, sound will suffer azz IMHO.

from diesel doug's posts, he recommends splicing into the woofer amp..not the bose amp, if i'm using a JL 500/1..is this correct?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general-tech-questions/184715-g37-subs-and-amp-wire-hookup.html
i'm just trying to get feedback from as many audio gurus as i can b4 starting this project
Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 AM
dillyyo

from diesel doug's posts, he recommends splicing into the woofer amp..not the bose amp, if i'm using a JL 500/1..is this correct?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184715
i'm just trying to get feedback from as many audio gurus as i can b4 starting this project
Again, you can do this, but you have to accept the BOSE EQ'ing. The stock systems EQ processing decreases bass frequencies at various volume levels. Unless you have something between your JL amp and the signal from the woofer amp i.e cleansweep, RF 360 etc you will get this EQ'ing. IMHO, this is a simple yet inadequate way to get subbass.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Again, you can do this, but you have to accept the BOSE EQ'ing. The stock systems EQ processing decreases bass frequencies at various volume levels. Unless you have something between your JL amp and the signal from the woofer amp i.e cleansweep, RF 360 etc you will get this EQ'ing. IMHO, this is a simple yet inadequate way to get subbass.
another +1 ^^^

Doug's way is simple, yes enough to get a little more bass. If thats what your trying to accomplish, go that route. As Dillyo mentioned on his other post, if your not trying to replace everything with the execption of the HU, the HU SIGNALS before the factory BOSS amp is the correct way to and only way to get cleanest possible signal. Unfortunately, since the voltage signal for the HU is only at 3 volts, you need to get a 360.2 , a Symbilink SLBU(fully balance transmitter and volume amplifier) , audiocontrol LC8 to boost the signal going in to the new amplifier.

I'm going to redo my trunk for the show, im going to take pictures and try to do SIMPLE DIY once i get started
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

so if i do what diesel doug suggests and add this clean sweep between the woofer amp and JL amp then i should be good?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=388
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah im reading all of this and it doesnt make sense to me . I just bought a zenclosure, jlw6v2, and a jl 500/1. a bass controller too so that all i want to drop into it. what do i have to do.

hey nam if you figure out how to do it would you mind helping me out too? i wouldnt mind driving to htown if ya could help me out haha.

Last edited by jnguyen; 09-04-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyennikka
yeah im reading all of this and it doesnt make sense to me . I just bought a zenclosure, jlw6v2, and a jl 500/1. a bass controller too so that all i want to drop into it. what do i have to do.

hey nam if you figure out how to do it would you mind helping me out too? i wouldnt mind driving to htown if ya could help me out haha.
i've got an identical setup, and did exactly what DieselDoug is recommending. if you guys need it, i can help as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

i dont mind...i'll be trying to do this saturday..i'll let u kno how it goes...looks like u'll have the same setup as i do except i have the 4080 enclosure
Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM
dillyyo

so if i do what diesel doug suggests and add this clean sweep between the woofer amp and JL amp then i should be good?
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=388
Yes, if there is a cleansweep or similar device between the output signal from the BOSE amp and your new JL amp, it will work fine. So it would be like this

Bose amp speaker wire >> into cleansweep or other device >> into JL audio amp >> into your sub.

If you do not use a device between the Bose amp and your new amp, your sound will not be correct. You will get some subbass, but not nearly like you should.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Yes, if there is a cleansweep or similar device between the output signal from the BOSE amp and your new JL amp, it will work fine. So it would be like this

Bose amp speaker wire >> into cleansweep or other device >> into JL audio amp >> into your sub.

If you do not use a device between the Bose amp and your new amp, your sound will not be correct. You will get some subbass, but not nearly like you should.
so go from the bose amp and not the woofer amp?

thanks for all the info..i think i'm getting a better understanding with this audio talk
Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM
dillyyo

so go from the bose amp and not the woofer amp?

thanks for all the info..i think i'm getting a better understanding with this audio talk
If you are keeping the front stock speakers then tap into the BOSE woofer amp. This is the amp that drives the rear deck speakers.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

just finished hooking mines up today...easier than i thought considering i've never done audio work...ever
u'll love how the JL 10w6 hits

Quick Reply: Installing Amp and Subs in G37