Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Auto dimming rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kream
They told me I would have to replace my windshield because the premium mirror is glued on. Service Rep said approx $2k.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
lowrider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Callaway
is there a parrot in here?
My answer was posted at the same time as yours, wise guy. Check out the times. In other words, I was writing my post when you were posting yours, Posted 1 minute apart.

Lou

Last edited by lowrider; 08-06-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

^^whoa, take it easy guy. i was just kidding around.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
shiftz33

I have a G37 Journey without the auto dimming/homelink mirror.

I decided to add a 50-GENK41A (Auto dimming / Homelink / No compass) mirror to my G37. I located one on eBay from wembleysells for $173.40 ($169 plus $4.40 shipping insurance). The mirror was ordered on 7/29/08 and it arrived via US Priority mail on 8/1/08.

I had the Infiniti service department where I purchased the G37 confirm that a car that is sold without the auto dimming/homelink mirror will NOT have the wiring harness in the headliner of the car.

The mirror I purchased has a wiring kit which also included the wiring cover (goes between the mirror and the headliner).

I removed the stock mirror (pop off the cover and locate the plastic clip used to keep it on the metal tab that is glued to the windshield). I installed the new mirror and ran the wires underneath the headliner. I removed the driver's side A pillar cover and ran the wires down the same path as the XM radio cables located in the same area. I then routed the wires down the side of the dash by removing the dash side cover (it snaps off easily). I then pulled out the sill plate cover and kick plate side cover (by the emergency brake). I padded and zip tied the wires along the full to avoid any rattle/noise issues.

I purchased two "Add-a-Tap" (designed for the "mini ATM fuses - not low profile mini ATM fuses) and I located a positive 12V supply on the left side of the fuse block (pre-existing fuse in this position) and there was an "open" switched power fuse position on the right side of the fuse block. The "Add-a-Tap" is not truly designed for the "low profile" mini ATM fuses used in this fuse block but they share the same width so I was able to insert into the fuse block and secure them so they wouldn't move around while driving. I could not find ANYTHING that is truly meant for the low profile mini ATM fuses but this was close enough. I know I could have spliced into some wires, but I just didn't want Infiniti to state I broke their wiring harness. My change is 100 percent reversible. The ground wire from the mirror harness went to the grounding screw/block located just below the fuse block.

The mirror works great!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Kream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info shiftz33! I too purchased a G37 Journey Sport w/o the dimming/homelink mirror. Unfortunately I am not as technical as you are installing the mirror. I will probably ask an audio shop to do it for me. How long did it take you to do the whole install?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
heff

so only G37s's with tech pack comes with this?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
alti35

Hey ShiftZ33, is the mount found on the G a wedge mount???
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
shiftz33

Yes, the G37 has a "wedge mount" mirror. The OEM (base mirror) has a plastic cap over the entire mount that you need to pop off to move it to the side to gain access to the plastic tab located on the bottom side of the mirror wedge mount. You lift the tab a little and that lets you slide the mirror off of the mounting piece on the windshield.

The install took about 30 minutes.

The "premium package" is the one that includes the "Automatic anti-glare rearview mirror with HomeLink" option.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
alti35

Originally Posted by shiftz33
Yes, the G37 has a "wedge mount" mirror. The OEM (base mirror) has a plastic cap over the entire mount that you need to pop off to move it to the side to gain access to the plastic tab located on the bottom side of the mirror wedge mount. You lift the tab a little and that lets you slide the mirror off of the mounting piece on the windshield.

The install took about 30 minutes.

The "premium package" is the one that includes the "Automatic anti-glare rearview mirror with HomeLink" option.
Thank you very much, you've been helpful.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

where did you purchase the Add-a-Tap?

thanks