Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Phonebook with NAV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:14 PM
dean2900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phonebook with NAV

Ok guys, I had the phonebook without NAV work very well on my loaner except it wont read my bluetooth phonebok on Windows Mobile 6 phone.

However, in the non Nav loaner I was able to assign voice tags for as many people as wanted and say Call Jane Doe or John Doe and it would prompt me with say office mobile or home.

I currently ony have 5 contacts programmed but when I say phonebook I assume it will only allow me to dial the first page while moving.

Is there a way the Nav to be able to say Dial John Doe or Jane Doe instead of Phonebook and it shows a list on the screen and be limited to one page which would make it useless?

Otherwise, the saefty feature is counterproductive because I am going to have to dial from my phone and the reason I wanted the bluetooth is to do voice commands only.

Thanks,
Dean
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 AM
dean2900

I did do a search first and was not sure on some of the posts if they were for the non NAV or NAV. However, it sounds like that I can say any voice tag after saying phoneboo with the NAV.

I can use this and create a Top 25 list ouf of my 500 + contacts. However, that will take up 75 entries (out of 200 total I believe) because I will ned to program in John Does at work, John Doe Mobile, John Doe Home since the voice tags with the UPS do not allow multiple numbers per entry.

It is not ideal but still usable. The truth is that there are a very select few of my contacts that I woudl call from my car. The worst case is to pick up the phone and push the voice button and say call Jane Doe.

Dean
Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
phonebooks only store up to 40 voicetags
Old 07-30-2008, 12:13 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by da mayor
phonebooks only store up to 40 voicetags
It shows 200 entries but am limite to 40? That is only roughly 13 contacts with the average of 300 numbers.

I cant help it but I am dissapointed with the NAV/Bluetooth combo especially when my 2 + year old Garmin reads the whole phone book and allows voice activation for all contacts.

Dean
Old 07-30-2008, 02:40 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dean2900
It shows 200 entries but am limite to 40? That is only roughly 13 contacts with the average of 300 numbers.

I cant help it but I am dissapointed with the NAV/Bluetooth combo especially when my 2 + year old Garmin reads the whole phone book and allows voice activation for all contacts.

Dean
i dont' build the cars so i can't help you on that. it reads up to 1000 contacts into your "downloaded phonebook" which you can't go through while driving and the voicetags in the phonebook can only be used at a maximum of 40 entries. i wish that would change but be happy the bluetooth actually works
Old 07-30-2008, 08:11 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by da mayor
i dont' build the cars so i can't help you on that. it reads up to 1000 contacts into your "downloaded phonebook" which you can't go through while driving and the voicetags in the phonebook can only be used at a maximum of 40 entries. i wish that would change but be happy the bluetooth actually works
I paired my phone on when I first test drove. I would not have bought the car if Bluetooth didnt work.

Dont get me wrong about it. If I was rating this car on a scale of 1-00 this car might score 86% instead of 88% because of the mediocre GPS and Bluetooth functionality.

Dean
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Yeah i was kind of dissapointed about this also. It seems to work sporadically with my w890i Sony Ericsson too.

another thing that bothers me is the fact that we dont get all those voice commands like the guys that first bought the car months ago do.

oh well...
michael
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Yeah i was kind of dissapointed about this also. It seems to work sporadically with my w890i Sony Ericsson too.

another thing that bothers me is the fact that we dont get all those voice commands like the guys that first bought the car months ago do.

oh well...
michael
The thing I dont get is that the phonebook holds 200 contacts or at least that is what my car shows as possible memory slots. Why would they only allow 40 voice tags?

Dean
Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
ppc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dean2900
The thing I dont get is that the phonebook holds 200 contacts or at least that is what my car shows as possible memory slots. Why would they only allow 40 voice tags?

Dean
You can pair up to five different phones with unique memory.
5 x 40 = 200.

Stupid as it is. I don't know anyone that would pair five phones. Thing is that on the non-nav units the tel adapter is designed by Visteon (Ford) so you can't blame the Japanese totally.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by ppc
You can pair up to five different phones with unique memory.
5 x 40 = 200.

Stupid as it is. I don't know anyone that would pair five phones. Thing is that on the non-nav units the tel adapter is designed by Visteon (Ford) so you can't blame the Japanese totally.

It is funny, i have contacted both Zenrin and Garmin in the last few days. I have left voicemails and received no response from Zenrin while Garmin responded the same day and sent me some free replacement mounts for my Street Pilot in my wife's 4Runner.

Zenrin doesnt seem to be on top of things based on being able to pair 5 phones but limit the contacts and not read most bluetooth phonebooks or even the ability to learn driving habits to estimate speed.

When I tried to contact Zenrin, they asked what year infiniti I had and my choices were 2004, 2005, or 2006.

Nissan really needs to reconsider their OEM GPS maker. Zenrin doesnt give a rats *** about people with their GPSes.

Dean