Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius Installed and Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM
mrgoonie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius Installed and Working

So I decided to order the unit from Grubbs and attempt the install after reading the posts on here. It was one of the easiest installs I have ever done.

I have a 5AT, I removed the trunk mat, removed the spare tired, loosened the nut on plastic part that holds the jack and removed it. Bam all units are on the lower right. I unplugged the pigtail from the xm unit.. installed the Sirius unit and sticky taped it to old unit... plugged in the antenna and ran it to the backseat.. reversed that order to put everything back in place...

I have my sirius.... called in to activate... no worries.. I'm in love... works perfectly with my head unit.. already preprogrammed all my channels. No more bulky wires... nice clean install.. it's worth the money... even tho the guys at grubbs have no idea that it does indeed work... it does and it's perfect!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
bfranks

Glad it worked out for you. It really is an easy install.

Sorry again for not replying to you in time.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
ChecksG37S

Sirius With Nav ?

Hi Group, first time posting here. I just called Grubb and they told me that the Sirius tuner they sell will not work on my 08 G37 if I have Nav of which i do - is this correct, any advice.

Also, is there another company that supplies such a unit that will work ?

Thanks

Michael
So Cal / Newport Beach
Old 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mrgoonie
So I decided to order the unit from Grubbs and attempt the install after reading the posts on here. It was one of the easiest installs I have ever done.

I have a 5AT, I removed the trunk mat, removed the spare tired, loosened the nut on plastic part that holds the jack and removed it. Bam all units are on the lower right. I unplugged the pigtail from the xm unit.. installed the Sirius unit and sticky taped it to old unit... plugged in the antenna and ran it to the backseat.. reversed that order to put everything back in place...

I have my sirius.... called in to activate... no worries.. I'm in love... works perfectly with my head unit.. already preprogrammed all my channels. No more bulky wires... nice clean install.. it's worth the money... even tho the guys at grubbs have no idea that it does indeed work... it does and it's perfect!

Um, your car came with XM; why would you get sirius????
Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM
DdotRoq
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soldier9599
Um, your car came with XM; why would you get sirius????

My car came with XM, I hate it; My RSX-S (Years ago) had Sirius - awesome, loved it. Same for my last 335i.

Rather than spending $200 on a satellite module, I'm patiently listening to my iPod til the merger goes through. So far, the XM/Sirius merger have been approved by the FCC, so that means we wouldn't need this convertor.

According to sources (Google, Wikipedia, etc.), the company will now be called... get ready, this is a very innovative name.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

SIRIUS XM, INC.!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
ChecksG37S

thanks for that. i was just worried as the guys at Grubbs said it would not work.

As for sitching XM, well I can't stand XM compared to Sirius, had them both and hands down Sirius is best.

All in all love the new car
Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
ChecksG37S

I ,ove the idea of the merger but from my research it will be sometime as to making them all in one. Both use different technology and will be some time. I am with you on the ipod thing but miss the sirius. I dont mind spending the money just want the sirius as long as it works
Old 07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
not a repost, but this board has known about this for 6 months. sirius reciever installed in trunk overrides built in xm unit.

edit: wierd thing though, while my xm trial period was going on, i still got xm live traffic on my nav.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
ChecksG37S

awesome news guys and thanks, big help. i will go ahead and purchase from Grubb along with the antenna, mount on rear shelf and get my sirius going. It sounds from you guys, it's an easy install.

I am trusting your info over the guys at Grubb

Thanks Again

Michael
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
not a repost, but this board has known about this for 6 months. sirius reciever installed in trunk overrides built in xm unit.

edit: wierd thing though, while my xm trial period was going on, i still got xm live traffic on my nav.

Because the OEM antenna is still wired into the main AV unit, the XM Nav traffic still works. Too bad they won't come off the $9.99 nav traffic only price.

@ChecksG37S: The unit works fine. I'm not sure why Grubbs is still telling people that. I sent them (Buckley Shegitz...parts guy I talked to) all the info on how to do it months ago. I've had mine for about 6 months now (08 G35 w/ nav), and it works great. No issues at all.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 PM
ChecksG37S

awesome, thanks for the info
Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok I'm confused. Do you or do you not have to install an antenna if you add the Sirius tuner to a NAV equipped G37?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
you have to install an antenna. mounted on the speaker deck and i never have any problems with reception--3m tint 35%
Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by EZDozzit
Ok I'm confused. Do you or do you not have to install an antenna if you add the Sirius tuner to a NAV equipped G37?
Most use an after market antenna, however there has been at least one person who has tapped into the factory shark fin antenna, and so far he hasn't had any issues. It requires a lot more work (removing head liner, running a new antenna wire, and soldering on the right connection), but it can be done.

Edit: You DO lose the nav traffic if you tap into the factory antenna.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
G-ThirtySe7en

I definitely prefer Sirius due to Mr. Stern and co, but I'd say I prefer the rock selections on Sirius over XM too.

Didn't Nissan offer a choice in previous years? Them removing that choice was pretty a big blunder for me, and unfortunately for Sirius-XM . . . as having XM in this car forced me to find "alternate" ways of listening to Howard on my commute.

Quick Reply: Sirius Installed and Working