Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Confused on Music Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
dean2900

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused on Music Options

OK guys, I just turned in my loaner and got my G37S with the Nav and Premium.

My check engine light came on at 30 miles so I am hoping the dealer didnt put the gas cap on tight enough.

Anyways, I do have a question about the music box and I have been reading a lot of threads to the point of overload between voice commands, gps commands, service codes, and music options.

I burned a 750MB CD with ALL MP3s and it plays it fine although the CD seems to get hotter than in any other car but I assume this is normal.

I understand that you cannot copy music from the burned CDs with MP3s to the Music Box. I also understand you cannot copy MP3s from the CF reader to the music box.

Anyways, I have no clue where my CDs are these days as I went to MP3 many years ago.

Can the CD drive read DVDs loaded with Music?

I assume I can burn 80 minute cds from MY MP3s as a slow way to fill up the hard drive.

As for the IPOD, I dont own one but can you copy music from your IPOD to the Musicbox?

Also, even if you cant copy it, is there any issue with battery drain and the IPOD?

I am just trying to determine the best method of having lets say around 1000 songs total which would be about half the hard drive.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dean
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
you have to do it the hard way and burn those 18 song 80 minute cd's in order to get them onto the hard drive on your car... i think
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM
MoDat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dean2900

Can the CD drive read DVDs loaded with Music?
Nope. Cd's Only

As for the IPOD, I dont own one but can you copy music from your IPOD to the Musicbox?
Nope

Also, even if you cant copy it, is there any issue with battery drain and the IPOD?
When you plug your ipod in..The car automatically charges it. Except with the new 3G iphone. For some reason it doesn't charge.

I am just trying to determine the best method of having lets say around 1000 songs total which would be about half the hard drive.
Buy a Ipod.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 AM
dean2900

I guess the IPOD is my choice. I do have $150 worth of best Buy Git cards. Any recommendation on a model around that price or around $200.

I really think that should have let you copy MP3s directly to the hard drive but it will be worthwhile once i get an IPOD.

And I did burn a coupe of regular format CDs. Just seems like a lot of owrk for so few songs at a time.

Dean
Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Our car won't charge the iPhone 3G? GHEY!
Old 07-25-2008, 12:30 AM
MoDat

I guess the IPOD is my choice. I do have $150 worth of best Buy Git cards. Any recommendation on a model around that price or around $200.

I really think that should have let you copy MP3s directly to the hard drive but it will be worthwhile once i get an IPOD.

And I did burn a coupe of regular format CDs. Just seems like a lot of owrk for so few songs at a time.

Dean
depends on how much music you want on your ipod. I think a 8g ipod nano should be sufficient. Its also small enough to fit nicely in your armrest. I think they cost around $150
Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by MoDat
depends on how much music you want on your ipod. I think a 8g ipod nano should be sufficient. Its also small enough to fit nicely in your armrest. I think they cost around $150
I actually do have 2 2GB CD cards and a 1GB one that I am not using anymore. I could store a grea deal of songs in those even if it cant be copied ot the radio. It is easy to store the CF cards below the arm rest.

Can it handle Type and Type 2 CF cards and what is the maximum size it can support:? I can get a 4GB CD for really cheap.

Dean
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
MoDat

I actually do have 2 2GB CD cards and a 1GB one that I am not using anymore. I could store a grea deal of songs in those even if it cant be copied ot the radio. It is easy to store the CF cards below the arm rest.

Can it handle Type and Type 2 CF cards and what is the maximum size it can support:? I can get a 4GB CD for really cheap.

Dean
I have nooooo idea. I never used the CF slot. I can tell you from experience that the IPOD interface is pretty good. Look on ebay, I'm sure you can find a used, older generation ipod for a pretty good price
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by MoDat
I have nooooo idea. I never used the CF slot. I can tell you from experience that the IPOD interface is pretty good. Look on ebay, I'm sure you can find a used, older generation ipod for a pretty good price
Somce I have the $150 in Best Buy gift ards (credit card rewards), I can pay $49 more and buy an 8GB Nano for $199 (or 149) for me.

I think will try the CF reader.

Has anyone posted a picturs of the GPS screen with the IPOD plugged into it?

Dean
Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
MoDat

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US244%26sa%3DN
Old 07-25-2008, 01:09 AM
dean2900

You convinced me. Will pick up IPOD tomorrow as long as my car with all of 32 miles now with a service engine soon light on is not a big issue1

Thaks for all the info. I honestly am not a fan of Apple of IPOD but the interfact is nice with the G37. I wouldnt but this is if you could copy MP3s directly to the hard drive.

Anyways, any issues with the 8GB Nano and the G37 you know of? I assume the G37 charges the Nnano?

Dean
Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 AM
MoDat

You convinced me. Will pick up IPOD tomorrow as long as my car with all of 32 miles now with a service engine soon light on is not a big issue1

Thaks for all the info. I honestly am not a fan of Apple of IPOD but the interfact is nice with the G37. I wouldnt but this is if you could copy MP3s directly to the hard drive.

Anyways, any issues with the 8GB Nano and the G37 you know of? I assume the G37 charges the Nnano?

Dean

None that I know of. Apple is pretty good about their warantee so long as you dont beat the crap out of it.

I'm sure you will be happy with it. Let me know how it goes
Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 AM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dean
Yes. Not sure what the size limit is but I have a 4Gb card and it works fine.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:39 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^No size limit I believe. There is a file limit as far as the number of files that can be read. I don't remember the number though.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
dean2900

It sounds like 512 songs i the max so I am better off with the 2GB cards I have. I can always buy a couple more. I am still going to get an 8 GB Ipod since the integration was done nicely. They should throw the Ipod in when you buy the car!

Dean

Quick Reply: Confused on Music Options