Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

two 10's or one 12?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:09 PM
nwryuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two 10's or one 12?

what would be more sound proficient? two 10's or one 12?

do you think either of them added on in addition to what is already in the car will produce noticeable difference? I already have the bose on wheels.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
IllLojik™

One 12 for more deeper bass, two 10's for more precise bass. What do you mostly listen to as far as music genre?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:50 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
two 10s... boxed correctly
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 12 will hit lower frequency and give a lower tone boom. Good on house and hip hop. 2 10's will punch more and catch natural drum sounds better, i.e. rock, and instumental music. Depending on the style of box will determine the sound as well. Sealed boxes will have a large frequency range, meaning it you will hear more levels of low frequencies. But will not punch as hard as a ported box. The draw back of ported, is the bass notes will all sound pretty similar even if the songs are different. the ported box producing a lot more bang with identical subs within a specific frequency range. So the ported is more effiecent for producing the loud punch than a sealed box. But you can over come the less effiecent sealed boxes with more power. (choice of amplifier). IMO, sealed will sound best. But if a hard hit punch is all you want, then go with ported. And again if its instrumental and rock is most of your music library go with the 10's, if you listen to rap go with the 12. Regardless the 2, 10's will be louder, you just physically have more surface area. But they just are built for specific frequency ranges. Bigger the surface area the lower the frequency it can hit.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
yesongs

I put a JL audio 500/1 amp and a JL 12" sealed power wedge in my G

The wedge is really a good fit for our trunk space

This addition really brings the system to life IMO - esp when the rear seat deck is opened up

E
Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
shepa
Registered Member

^^^^^^^
wait the jl audio power wedge boxes will fit into our trunks????
Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
yesongs

Originally Posted by shepa
^^^^^^^
wait the jl audio power wedge boxes will fit into our trunks????
Yeah buddy

I have:

JL Audio PowerWedge CS112TG-W1 12"

PM me ur e-mail if you want a pic of mine

E
Old 07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Graham
The 12 will hit lower frequency and give a lower tone boom. Good on house and hip hop. 2 10's will punch more and catch natural drum sounds better, i.e. rock, and instumental music. Depending on the style of box will determine the sound as well. Sealed boxes will have a large frequency range, meaning it you will hear more levels of low frequencies. But will not punch as hard as a ported box. The draw back of ported, is the bass notes will all sound pretty similar even if the songs are different. the ported box producing a lot more bang with identical subs within a specific frequency range. So the ported is more effiecent for producing the loud punch than a sealed box. But you can over come the less effiecent sealed boxes with more power. (choice of amplifier). IMO, sealed will sound best. But if a hard hit punch is all you want, then go with ported. And again if its instrumental and rock is most of your music library go with the 10's, if you listen to rap go with the 12. Regardless the 2, 10's will be louder, you just physically have more surface area. But they just are built for specific frequency ranges. Bigger the surface area the lower the frequency it can hit.
Where do you guys get your smoke because I really need some of that ****z!! I don't know how else one can come up with such nonsense!

Original poster, please do some research as post is rather ill informed. In short and all that really matters between 2 10's and 1 12 is that you will have more surface area and pick up some extra dB's. The point this poster made about going deeper or more applicable for different music is nonsense. Think 1. do i have the sapce or want to take up the space with 2 10's? 2. Do I want to pay more money for the little bit of extra sound level I will get? 3. Do I want to purchase or allocate the extra power for the other sub (unless your running something in parallel or series)? These are the only questions you should concern yourself with.

Last edited by dillyyo; 07-18-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by IllLojik™
One 12 for more deeper bass, two 10's for more precise bass. What do you mostly listen to as far as music genre?
Please read below and tell me who your hook up is! deeper or accurate? Hmmm, I always wanted my subs, whether 10's, 12's or15's, to play deep AND accurate!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
daquilini

Surface area

Originally Posted by nwryuber
what would be more sound proficient? two 10's or one 12?

do you think either of them added on in addition to what is already in the car will produce noticeable difference? I already have the bose on wheels.
2 ten will play louder and depending on excursion they may actually play lower.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
prutkows

better sound quality with 2 10's. wider bass range with 1 12.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM
daquilini

Not True

Originally Posted by prutkows
better sound quality with 2 10's. wider bass range with 1 12.
Depending on the sub excursion and box type. Also Boston Acoustics makes a passive radiator for their subs that gives 3db more output at the tune to frequncy without increasing box volume 4 of their 10's work in a half cube sealed. 3 are compatable with the tuned rdiator.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Bushtree

2 10"s have a cone advantage so given everything else a constant, the 10"s would be louder.. (assuming exact same subs in comparision, box built to proper specs, power ect..)

therer are lots of variables though, and 90% of it will come down to the install. the enclosure you build for the subs you choose is VERY VERY important.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 PM
siperwrx

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Where do you guys get your smoke because I really need some of that ****z!! I don't know how else one can come up with such nonsense!

Original poster, please do some research as post is rather ill informed. In short and all that really matters between 2 10's and 1 12 is that you will have more surface area and pick up some extra dB's. The point this poster made about going deeper or more applicable for different music is nonsense. Think 1. do i have the sapce or want to take up the space with 2 10's? 2. Do I want to pay more money for the little bit of extra sound level I will get? 3. Do I want to purchase or allocate the extra power for the other sub (unless your running something in parallel or series)? These are the only questions you should concern yourself with.
Sorry sir, you are, in fact wrong.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by siperwrx
Sorry sir, you are, in fact wrong.
Yeah, you are right! Man, you sure do present a credible argument!