Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Another G37 hidden feature

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Thumbs up Another G37 hidden feature

I’m not sure if this belongs in another forum, but it may be of general interest here:

As a fan of “older” music I finally came upon the situation where a CD made years ago did not list the album, artist or song names on the nav screen after recording it onto my Music Box. But, in case this happens to you, there is a way to manually insert this data through various screens that bring up the needed keypad from which you insert everything, including the album name and mood setting. It’s all in the owner’s manual. It takes quite awhile as you must insert the data elements one by one for each track, but it will prevent your screens from displaying “no artist” or “track #” with only the date you downloaded the CD. I think it’s a nice feature that those who designed the G37 9.3GB hard disk thought of in anticipation of this problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
axylus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For some reason, I have this problem with new CD's too. I'm not sure if there is some setting that is not turned on so I can see the CD's info. Anyone have suggestions on a fix?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
weave

The CF shuffle will not work for you?????

http://www.infiniti.com/music-update/
Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by weave
The CF shuffle will not work for you?????

I don't have a CompactFlash card, nor would it help with old CD's.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
weave

Gotcha...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Achilles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I don't have a CompactFlash card, nor would it help with old CD's.
You could consider getting a CF card with lots of space and just use that as your source for your music. (tags, names, etc would be listed on the screen).
Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have a CF card slot? If so, you can update the gracenote music data online.

Here is the link:

Originally Posted by axylus
For some reason, I have this problem with new CD's too. I'm not sure if there is some setting that is not turned on so I can see the CD's info. Anyone have suggestions on a fix?

Last edited by terrycs; 07-16-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Question

Originally Posted by Achilles
You could consider getting a CF card with lots of space and just use that as your source for your music. (tags, names, etc would be listed on the screen).
Getting a CF card is the easy part. But, not being an expert here, wouldn’t I then have to either transfer material from a CD onto the card or pay on-line (e.g., i-tines) to download albums directly to the card? And wouldn’t I then have to keep the CF card in the slot to play my music each time and remove it when I wanted to add music? It seems this strategy has disadvantages.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I only record complete albums (usually purchased CDs) in the car's music box and mixed selections on my CF card.

Originally Posted by Chekov
Getting a CF card is the easy part. But, not being an expert here, wouldn’t I then have to either transfer material from a CD onto the card or pay on-line (e.g., i-tines) to download albums directly to the card? And wouldn’t I then have to keep the CF card in the slot to play my music each time and remove it when I wanted to add music? It seems this strategy has disadvantages.

Last edited by terrycs; 07-16-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
No disadvantages but extreme complications for someone who is not familiar with downloading music, transfering data etc.. It would be nothing but a hassle for ya!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:16 PM
t-bone1924

Speaking for myself, I think the ipod interface is the best thing going for the G37. I never had an ipod before buying this car and frankly, I wouldn't have one now if I didn't have this car. The ipod only leaves my car to load a new album. I don't have nav (no musicbox or CF slot) but from the hassles that others have had with restrictions on type of media, etc. make me not miss them at all. No problems with the ipod on old albums; I've got stuff from old 78s on it!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 45 Likes on 6 Posts
It just depends on how the cd was created/burned when it was printed. Not every lable includes the data portion with track titles. When you rip your cd onto your computer most programs will search the internet or use a program to find the missing data and fill it in. There's no way for our cars to locate the information if it is not present on the cd already. The best way to do it, IMO is to rip your cd's to your cpu and tranfer playlists to a CF or data/mp3 cd. Then all your information is present and you can add to the musicbox from there.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
No disadvantages but extreme complications for someone who is not familiar with downloading music, transfering data etc.. It would be nothing but a hassle for ya!
Hey, I’m here to learn, without being patronized.

For the record I just removed the CompactFlash card from my digital camera, plugged it into my PC with my son’s adapter and downloaded some music (Lawrence Welk’s greatest hits ) and played it in my G37. It worked fine, so I guess I know how to do it. The question is: do I want to bother?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Yes you do want to bother with it. lol
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 AM
surpriseitsg37

if you connect an ipod how do you turn shuffle on? it only repeats for me

Quick Reply: Another G37 hidden feature