Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Auto Lock when key fob moves away from vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
akfox37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Lock when key fob moves away from vehicle

I have done some searching and haven't found anything on this. I am aware of the KPTech mod to lock the doors while the car is moving.... but I am wondering if there is any way to make the G so that when you turn off the car and get out and walk away with the fob in your pocket that it will automatically lock. I realize its not very hard to hit the lock button on the handle or fob, but think that this would be a nice feature to have in case you ever forget
Old 07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was discussed in the past. The car needs to be locked manually. The reason behind this, if I remember right, was so the car wouldn't lock with the key fob inside.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
leeladisky

Originally Posted by bboysteele
This was discussed in the past. The car needs to be locked manually. The reason behind this, if I remember right, was so the car wouldn't lock with the key fob inside.
I think the point is that the vehicle automatically detects when the keyfob is inside the vehicle... it can therefore detect when it isn't. It would be great to have it lock automatically within 15-30 seconds of the last door being closed if the keyfob is not in the vehicle.

Lee
Old 07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by leeladisky
I think the point is that the vehicle automatically detects when the keyfob is inside the vehicle... it can therefore detect when it isn't. It would be great to have it lock automatically within 15-30 seconds of the last door being closed if the keyfob is not in the vehicle.

Lee
That wouldn't work well if someone forgot their kid on the car.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:25 PM
heff

ya buit if u forget ur kid in the car ull still have the capabilities of unlocking from inside the car, although i would imagine an alarm would trip...
Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
nogoodname
Banned

the new 09 model will self lock now...i think
Old 07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by leeladisky

Lee
Not if the battery dies in the key fob...
Old 07-04-2008, 08:16 PM
akfox37

haha not too worried about locking my lack of kids in the car here.... just too lazy to take the fob out of my pocket and my girlfriend takes like 10 minutes to actually get out of the car and i just hate having to stand there forever and wait to push the button on the handle.

my point though is you still couldnt lock your keys in your car doing this. the fob only allows you to unlock the door by pressing the door handle button when it is a couple feet from the door. so why when it detects that the key has left the car and gone a couple feet away can't it just lock the door??? it seems logical to me!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

The key fob has to be active for you to unlock the car so think of it like this. If the key fob died and you left it in the car and it auto locked, you would be screwed. This is the same reason they have a key hole on the door handle. If you key fob died you could unlock it with the key in the fob and put the key fob in the hole by the steering wheel to start the car. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 AM
akfox37

that would have to be some really ****ty luck to leave the fob in the car while its on its last ounce of battery and have it lock you out. possible, yes, but likely, i think not. considering that my honda before the infiniti would auto lock the doors after i had left the car for a minute and I had the car for 6.5 years without changing the battery in the remote, i think that the convenience that this feature would add would far outweigh the remote chance (anybody like puns???) that the fob died while you left it in the car.

and even then theres always a spare!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 AM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heff
ya buit if u forget ur kid in the car ull still have the capabilities of unlocking from inside the car, although i would imagine an alarm would trip...
You're kidding, right? You really expect a sleeping infant strapped into a car seat to unstrap himself, crawl into the front seat and know how to open the door from the inside?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 PM
GiGGaplease

it kinda sucks that it doesnt lock by it self. its a habit for me now to just reach into my pocket and lock it when im like 10 feet away from the car.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I hate that feeling though when you cannot remember if you locked it out not...
Old 07-06-2008, 01:37 AM
akfox37

yeah, thats my concern. i am very good about hitting the button on the door, and then im ocd about it so i pull out the fob and hit the lock button too. just wish that there was a feature so i could always be certain its locked unless i am standing right there!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:54 AM
weave

^

I do the same thing

Quick Reply: Auto Lock when key fob moves away from vehicle