Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Best Sub/Amp Brands

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:12 PM
ajkeence99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Sub/Amp Brands

What would you all consider the best amplifiers and subwoofers? I'm looking at putting a single 10" in my trunk. I don't want to blow my ear drums but I definitely want it to be crisp and clear. Money isn't really an issue but I also don't want to spend $3000 on one sub and amp
Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
bllop

i say go with jl w7 and the jl 500/1 amp. i have it in the g37 and it sounds good in my opinion..you should hear one before you get one to see if you like it. SQ on it is good many people think its overated but its really up to you if cash isnt a problem to you. there are a couple other brands that are cheaper then jl that are in that quality range but i never heard any of them in person yet
Old 05-07-2008, 09:10 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Jl Ftw!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Redshark

No doubt - JL Audio
Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
best bang for the buck.. IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ V3 SUBS
Best tunning capability and quality amplifier : ZAPCO DC REFFERENCE.

my 2 cents... BOTH COMPANIES HAVE WON sound off competitions every year for the past 15+ years.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Anytime you ask this question you are going to get 90%+ JL answers. IMO, there are tons of factors to consider such as your budget, what you trying to achieve (listen to music wih quality sound reproduction or just **** off the nighborhood), what type of install requirements you have, etc. It's really futile to say "Brand X" is the best because it all just depends on what you need and like. FWIW, I'm not a JL fan. They're not bad, but they aren't even close to being as awesome as many of their fans make them out to be IMO. At least not for my listening tastes.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
It depends on your enclosure too. a JL W7 won't fit normal enclusres and will take up a lot more space. I say go with the w6v2. It's the W7's little carbon copy but a lot better for our cars set up IMO. W7 is overkill. As far as amps come, I've had many set-ups, cheap to expensive, and have found that soundstream amps are very affordable with great performance. Top notch bang for your buck with soundstream. good luck with your system
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Sq+spl=jl
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Pearl05G

What else is in the vehicle if anything?
What type of music do you listen to?
How much real estate are you willing to give up for this project?
What have you hear and liked so far (if anything)?

Im sure I can name a dozen subs that would outperform the afore mentioned JLs, but with a little more info about you and your tastes its alot easier. Regardless of where you go though JL is going to be your typical answer. Not a bad product per say, but much better can be had for the same or less money.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Kicker is also a pretty good brand two. I had two Kicker Comp CVR 10's in my truck and they were great. They seem to be a little bit smaller company than all the others but make a quality product. They've got anywhere from 500w 8"s to 15000w 18"s and if you want something a little different some of their subs are square, they say it gives your more surface area in the same size sub but who knows. I think they are also a little cheaper than JL too.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by Pearl05G
What else is in the vehicle if anything?
What type of music do you listen to?
How much real estate are you willing to give up for this project?
What have you hear and liked so far (if anything)?

Im sure I can name a dozen subs that would outperform the afore mentioned JLs, but with a little more info about you and your tastes its alot easier. Regardless of where you go though JL is going to be your typical answer. Not a bad product per say, but much better can be had for the same or less money.
With that said, I would put up my 12W3's V1 against any sub out there for SQL. In my humble opinion, the new JL's, although with awesome output, don't touch their old subs. It's just seems that todays market is more skewed towards the SPL crowd rather than the SQ.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:21 AM
armen818

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Anytime you ask this question you are going to get 90%+ JL answers. IMO, there are tons of factors to consider such as your budget, what you trying to achieve (listen to music wih quality sound reproduction or just **** off the nighborhood), what type of install requirements you have, etc. It's really futile to say "Brand X" is the best because it all just depends on what you need and like. FWIW, I'm not a JL fan. They're not bad, but they aren't even close to being as awesome as many of their fans make them out to be IMO. At least not for my listening tastes.
X2
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
armen818

Originally Posted by dillyyo
With that said, I would put up my 12W3's V1 against any sub out there for SQL. In my humble opinion, the new JL's, although with awesome output, don't touch their old subs. It's just seems that todays market is more skewed towards the SPL crowd rather than the SQ.

This is my humble opinion, but are you crazy??
you mean to say , that you would compare the 12W3's V1 with

Rainbow subs ??
Hertz subs??
Stereo Integrity subs??
ID subs??
digital design subs??

just to name a few.

trust me i would take the IDQ over the 12W3's V1 anyday
Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Xander

JL is the the new Alpine
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
I agree on you on this one Dilyyo. JL went away from roots, and thats why im stuck on Image Dyamics..and for the price you really can't go wrong.

As for the other outstanding brands like Morel, Hertz... etc.

I picked the Image Dynamics because i like i said... bang for the buck!

example.... IDQV3 retail.. $299, Morel $900
Now if money was not an issue, frequency response for Morel Ultimo's is one of the lowest i've seen, 10 - 900 hz.. sick. More info on http://morelhifi.com/products/mob_su...rs_ultimo.html

As for amplifiers.. Only one i know right now that has a built in DSP is ZAPCO

Quick Reply: Best Sub/Amp Brands