Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why doesnt my ipod charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Emon Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesnt my ipod charge?

Whenever I place my ipod in my car, and use the factory cable to play the ipod...it plays fine, and will play forever as long as it's connected for days. But the second I take off my ipod and try to go use it at the gym, the ipod's DEAD, no battery whatsoever...whats up with that?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
disc mode?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No idea... my iphone charges whenever its plugged in.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It won't charge while the car is off, so if your like me work all day and then just have a 30 min drive home and to the gym, the ipod doesn't have enough time to charge.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:35 PM
bfranks

It could be that your iPod is not actually turning off when you turn the car off, which is causing the battery to drain down. Do you ever notice that it takes the iPod longer then normal to start up when you start the car? Or that the car will sometimes switch to the iPod on it's own after you start the car? Both are signs that this is happening.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
blaque831

Originally Posted by bfranks
It could be that your iPod is not actually turning off when you turn the car off, which is causing the battery to drain down. Do you ever notice that it takes the iPod longer then normal to start up when you start the car? Or that the car will sometimes switch to the iPod on it's own after you start the car? Both are signs that this is happening.
This is exactly what mine does. It drives me crazy. Is there a way to fix this where the ipod shuts off when the car is turned off? I haven't had time to research.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 PM
bfranks

I fixed mine by turning off the "hold" switch. I've seen other posts that said this had no effect, so who knows.....worth a shot
Old 05-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Foresite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe this happens because the Infiniti plug is too tight when connected. I can't prove this and I have no real solution but it seems to me that the Infiniti plug holds the ipod so tight that I have to really work it to get the Ipod loose. I believe it is during that process that the plug at the bottom of the Ipod is shorted out and this causes the battery power to discharge. It seems to be better when I rip the plug straight out instead of moving it from side to side to get it loose.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Emon Crew

Originally Posted by bfranks

Yea this is exactly what happens to mine too...but I never have the hold switch on, so I don't know what could solve this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by Emon Crew
Yea this is exactly what happens to mine too...but I never have the hold switch on, so I don't know what could solve this problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
The only thing that worked for me, was to power down my iPod prior to leaving the car.

Major pain, because the majority of the time I would forget to do it.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 PM
bfranks

You can try different things.....like making sure the iPod isn't selected when you turn the car off. Mine only seemed to have the problem when it was actively playing when the car was shut off. I guess I was lucky with the hold switch "fix". It never really made much sense, but it worked for me. Short of that, manually turning it off might be the only consistent solution.

Infiniti relied on the auto off feature of the iPod (which is notoriously flaky) instead of sending an off command like many of the after market headunits and solutions (PAC). Hopefully they will fix it by the time I buy my next G
Old 05-10-2008, 01:06 PM
bryan3d4

Alright, so here’s the deal:
The iPod port in the console apparently receives continuous power from the car.
While the level of power is not sufficient for charging your iPod, it is strong enough to make the iPod believe it’s still in use. This condition disables the iPod’s auto shut off feature, thus causing the iPod battery to drain and die after several hours of non-stop usage.

To prove this point, do the following:
1. Ensure your G and iPod is off
2. Disconnect the iPod cable from your G
3. Plug the iPod cable into your iPod
----Your iPod should remain off
----If your iPod is on, you can stop here, because your unit will remain on as long as the cable is attached
4. Plug the other end of the iPod cable into the iPod port in your G
5. If your iPod turns on – point proven!!

The only consistent solution I have found is to manually power down your iPod each and every time after you turn off your G.

Editorial note:
This is a major pain in the a$$!!!

While I credit Infiniti for try to provide cutting edge technology in the G.
I am extremely disappointed with the **** poor quality assurance and implementation of these technologies.

There's at least one major inconvenience with each aspect of the audio system, with the exception of perhaps the radio.

• Music Box
----1. Can only read from the CD unit
----2. Unable to transfer mp3 files
----3. Unable to rename/modify title info
----4. Etc.
• CF Card
----1 Can only read 512 files
----2 Songs are sorted based on transfer date??
----3 Etc.
• iPod
----1 Auto shut off inoperable, which causes the iPod battery to drain
----2 Nuff said!!

I won’t even get into the frustration of dealing with the crippling effect to all these system once the car is actually moving.
And, please don’t give me that safety BS. If I can reach over and tune the radio or adjust the climate controls while driving, I can certainly stroll down my address book or stored destinations and make a selection.

Note to Infiniti:
Include real technology savvy people who actually drive cars to your planing and testing team.

Finally:
None of these things make the G a bad car, but the driving experience would be much better without the numerous limitations and oversights.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Bryan, one thing to keep in mind is that I highly doubt Infiniti created this system. It is an apple product. Apple does not like other companies making products for their products. I will bet you that Apple designed the cable and probably designed or at least help designed the software on the car. If this wasn't Apple made I would bet that Infiniti would not be allowed to put IPod connector on their site and in their brochures. If this was Microsoft then yes but it is Apple and Apple does not like to play with other people. So blame Apple and not Infiniti.

And remember that this is the first generation. I bet they will be making improvements to these features in the future.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:44 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Hey Bryan, one thing to keep in mind is that I highly doubt Infiniti created this system. It is an apple product. Apple does not like other companies making products for their products. I will bet you that Apple designed the cable and probably designed or at least help designed the software on the car. If this wasn't Apple made I would bet that Infiniti would not be allowed to put IPod connector on their site and in their brochures. If this was Microsoft then yes but it is Apple and Apple does not like to play with other people. So blame Apple and not Infiniti.

And remember that this is the first generation. I bet they will be making improvements to these features in the future.
bboysteele, I didn't buy a Apple G37S, I purchased an Infiniti.
I use my iPod with many other sync devices and I only have this auto shut down issue with my G.

If Infiniti decided to give full control of their audio system to Apple, which I doubt then shame on them.

As for it being a first generation vehicle - I will not accept paying top dollar for a product and then softly sweep all the obvious issue under the floor mats as an first generation excuse. There are way too many electronic oversights in this vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I have stated on many occasions that I love my car and that I can live with its flaws, but at some point we as consumers have to say - ENOUGH!!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Again the system I believe was made by Apple not Infiniti (the IPod portion anyways). Hopefully this is fixed in an upcoming mode. I have yet to really experience an issue with my battery. Mine last a long time because it is rather new still and I really only use it when I travel or in my G.

Quick Reply: Why doesnt my ipod charge?