Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why doesnt my ipod charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 PM
bfranks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple had nothing to do with designing the iPod interface. iPods are notorious for having issues with the auto-off feature, and Infiniti should have known this and accounted for it. Every other iPod interface solution I have seen (PAC, Alpine, Sony) actually issue a command to shut the iPod down and do not have any of these issues. Infiniti decided to rely on the auto off feature, and now we are having to deal with the effects of that decision. So in truth they are both at fault.

There have been several suggestion on how to fix this posted on various g35 / g37 forums, so you might want to give them a try. Different solutions seem to work on different Gen iPods. It took 3 or 4 different solution before I found one that worked for me, but now I have no issues at all. Even after parking my car for 3-4 weeks my iPod is at almost full charge.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Emon Crew

Originally Posted by bfranks
Apple had nothing to do with designing the iPod interface. iPods are notorious for having issues with the auto-off feature, and Infiniti should have known this and accounted for it. Every other iPod interface solution I have seen (PAC, Alpine, Sony) actually issue a command to shut the iPod down and do not have any of these issues. Infiniti decided to rely on the auto off feature, and now we are having to deal with the effects of that decision. So in truth they are both at fault.

There have been several suggestion on how to fix this posted on various g35 / g37 forums, so you might want to give them a try. Different solutions seem to work on different Gen iPods. It took 3 or 4 different solution before I found one that worked for me, but now I have no issues at all. Even after parking my car for 3-4 weeks my iPod is at almost full charge.
What finally worked for you?

And bryan, I appreciate the lengthy response and I agree with you 100% If Infiniti is selling us the ipod interface, they should be held responsible to ensure it's design/manufacture/quality/etc... is up to par with standards that inifiniti deems appropriate. I don't buy the 1st gen. car with kinks to work out excuse, as infiniti spends major bucks on R&D before the car is actually released...a simple problem like this, should have a simple fix, but I guess not. I'll have to keep searching for a solution.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:57 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix's

Yes, what are the fixes to try. Please post what works, what's tried.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:57 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I tested your guys theory today. I plugged my IPod into the interface (which was in sleep mode) and it turned on. I found this interesting since I did the same with my link cable when it was not on my computer and the IPod didn't turn on. So I think maybe there is some truth to bryan's post although my IPod hasn't ran out of juice yet. Well I leave my IPod in the car and come inside to get some things that I need to get to return to the mall. I go outside and forget to look at my IPod before starting my car. I wanted to see if it turned off. I hear my music and think crap. So I go to the mall and I am going to check the IPod when I am done in the mall. I spend a good hour or more in the mall. I go out to my car and this time look at my IPod. It is off and buttons are not working. I take it off the IPod cable and it wakes up, paused, and ready to play. It has a full battery. So in this experience it looks like you guys are wrong. Either that or you have a defective cable, IPod, or system. But I can confirm that MY IPOD DOES GO INTO SLEEP MODE. System works great. BTW I have an IPod classic with the most up-to-date software. Not sure if this issue is prove to a certain version or model of the IPod.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by bboysteele
So I go to the mall and I am going to check the IPod when I am done in the mall. I spend a good hour or more in the mall. I go out to my car and this time look at my IPod. It is off and buttons are not working. I take it off the IPod cable and it wakes up, paused, and ready to play. It has a full battery. So in this experience it looks like you guys are wrong. Either that or you have a defective cable, IPod, or system. But I can confirm that MY IPOD DOES GO INTO SLEEP MODE. System works great. BTW I have an IPod classic with the most up-to-date software. Not sure if this issue is prove to a certain version or model of the IPod.
Steele, thanks for posting your findings. Your experience is no different than mine.
If I leave my iPod on for an hour or even 2 hours it plays fine.
Try leaving your iPod in your car over night. Rest assure it will be dead in the morning.

Bottom line: We all purchased an INFINITI product and we are completely in our rights to hold them solely accountable for every aspect of the car.
Every part on the vehicle regardless of the manufacturer was chosen and approved by Infinti.

BTW: I too have a classic iPod with the latest software.

BFanks: It would be much appreciated if you could share a link or the steps you took in resolving this condition in your G.
I not too lazy to search, but I'm sure there's numerous posts on this matter and I'm also sure many of them are invalid... Just the nature of the web.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I will see what happens. I have it in the car right now and I have left it in the car overnight before without an issue. I will check it out tomorrow and see what I find.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 PM
bryan3d4

Steele, when you try it in the morning disconnect it from the car first.
I'm hoping it works, perhaps I have a bad cable.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

That is what I plan to do. I had to disconnect it from the cable when I checked it when I got out of the mall. When it is connected it seems to shut off the front buttons even when in sleep mode. At least that is the case on mine.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
bryan3d4

Steele, I may owe you and Infiniti a apology on this iPod auto shut off thing.

I just performed another software update placing me on version 1.3.
I then shut down my iPod and connected it to the G and it remained off.
I then turn on the car and my iPod came on with the Infiniti logo.

I was still not convinced, so I started a song and shut the car off.
At this point, my iPod was on - at the main menu.
I left the unit in the car and waited a few minutes (about 10 mins) to recheck it.
To my shock, the iPod was off...

I'm pretty sure the software update did the trick, but I will recheck the unit in the morning and report back.

Thanks for your input,
Bryan

PS: I'm still pissed @ Infiniti for the other stuff... but, I'm back smiling for now
Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Motor25

Am I the only one who is not experiencing any of the problems you guys are mentioning?

My iPod works flawlessly with the car. It's always fully charged.

BTW, I rarely drive my car, maybe only once a week.

My iPod shuts off automatically when the car is off and turns on automatically when I start the car.

mike
Old 05-10-2008, 09:56 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

LOL, Bryan I will still check mine in the morning just to see. I understand your frustrations with Infiniti. I just needed to defend the IPod thing since mine seems to work fine and I know how Apple is with their products. I know they had to have a hand in the construction of this system. I see the frustrations with your other complaints. The truth is I don't see the other things as problems because of the IPod. I very rarely use the Music Box or the CF card slot. I have a CF card that is always in my car along with music on the Music box plus I have XM but I only seem to use my IPod. Just way to much good music on there.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 PM
bfranks

Different iPods seem to have different solutions. I have a 3rd gen, 5th gen, and now a iPod classic (6th gen?). The classic never had an issue. The 5th gen only seemed to do it if I actually had the iPod playing when I turned the car off. And even then it was only maybe 50% of the time. I didn't really try too many things with this one as I leave it at work. My 3rd gen however did it almost every time. I finally came across a post that said to leave the "hold" switch on the iPod off. I tried this and didn't have any further issues.

I searched around, but didn't find anything that wasn't already listed.

-Update firmware
-Turn off the "hold" switch
-Check to make sure you haven't disabled the auto off feature in the iPod settings.
-Change sources (anything but iPod) before turning off the car.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 AM
bryan3d4

Thumbs up It works!!

Problem solve!
This morning I checked my iPod and it was fully charged.
I then immediately checked my iPod controlling software (Anapod Manager), because I've been burnt in the past.
Apple is great for rolling out major restrictions within its software updates.

Quick plug:
If you want the ability to transfer your songs to and from your iPod without the dealing with Apple's unfair copyright restrictions, checkout Anapod.

Anyway, all is well, so I'm about to auto shut down
Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 AM
camp3r

dunno bro...I use my iphone and have no problems!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:28 AM
bryan3d4

Hey Emon, I apologize for hijacking your thread; are you still experiencing problems with your iPod auto shutting down?

Quick Reply: Why doesnt my ipod charge?