Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How to scroll down using voice commands

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Foresite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to scroll down using voice commands

I have had my G for a few months now but there is something I can't find anything on.

When you use the voice recognition to use the phonebook, how do you get it to scroll down. Eg. I say "Phonebook" --> items 1-5 appear of the screen. If I have a lot of people in my phonebook how am I supposed to remember what number someone if they are not in 1-5 is so I can see it. Is there a way to get it to scroll down.

The problem is worse with destnations because they have to be called by number not name. How do you get it to scroll down to see what 5-10 is?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Not possible... It's a safetly feature.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember... there is always a back door!............................................. ..\/ \/ \/ \/
Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I do is use my phones voice-command to dial someone and once it dials then the car picks up the call. Works great for me and I think it is better than the voice-command on the car. Just one button I need to press on the phone.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foresite
I have had my G for a few months now but there is something I can't find anything on.

When you use the voice recognition to use the phonebook, how do you get it to scroll down. Eg. I say "Phonebook" --> items 1-5 appear of the screen. If I have a lot of people in my phonebook how am I supposed to remember what number someone if they are not in 1-5 is so I can see it. Is there a way to get it to scroll down.

The problem is worse with destnations because they have to be called by number not name. How do you get it to scroll down to see what 5-10 is?
Add voice tags to your phonebook and then you can call by names or whatever you make the voice tag as.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Foresite

Yea that works well except that after you put in your immediate family you sometimes can't remember exactly what you put in for certain people and you can't see it because it won't let you scroll down. When I first got the G, I put them in haphazardly, using nicknames for some and actual names for others, so now I don't remember what to use when I want to call someone I don't call often.

Also that doesn't work for destinations because you have to call those by number.

I have to redo my voice tags and follow a system so I have everyone named with the same convention and then I will be able to call the name even where I can't see it.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Foresite

Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
Just remember... there is always a back door!............................................. ..\/ \/ \/ \/
Actually I have my Nav hacked so I can do all the nav functions while driving (and play videos) but I would like to be able to say "Scroll" and have it show the next group of names.

Also I have read that there is a command "Play Phonebook" but it doesn't work for me. Every time I say it, it plays the IPOD. Has anyone got this to work?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
craigsg37mt6s

Bummed

There appears to be no easy way for dialing from voice tags. I have to say phone book, then the name and then dial - with all the voice prompts in between. The M35 I just came out of all I had to do was hit the the voice command button and say "Dial Joe" and it dialed. They seem to have gone backwards on this newer system. On another note does anyone know if there is a way to shut off the voice from saying "or push back back button to change whatever" after every command. When it says "please say city name" it pauses then as your starting to say the city name it says - "or push back button yada yada" a useless delay.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Atlanta37

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Not possible... It's a safetly feature.
OK, that has to be the dumbest safety feature "functionality" yet. I nearly had an accident TRYING to figure out how to get the bloody thing to scroll.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by Atlanta37
OK, that has to be the dumbest safety feature "functionality" yet. I nearly had an accident TRYING to figure out how to get the bloody thing to scroll.
lmao... I feel your pain.

I still think it's ironic that they lock out the nav in the name of safety, but allow me to scroll through hundreds of artists on my iPod because they can't come up with a better interface.

bfranks, are you following me... or are we just tried of the same mess??

Last edited by bboysteele; 05-10-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by bryan3d4
bfranks, are you following me... or are we just tried of the same mess??

I think most of us are frustrated with the same issues. I'm just glad most of them are minor (for me at least).

Edit: Interesting.....it merged my post into yours

Last edited by bfranks; 05-10-2008 at 10:10 PM.