Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
quart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars

Does anyone have good pictures of the oem door panels and the speaker house from the inside?

Although I am leasing my car, I have been restraining my desire to upgrade the audio system in my car. I have the Premium, non-Nav system in my car, but being an old IASCA competitor and stereo guy, am having a rough time not tearing into the car.

I have already built an add on subwoofer that replaced the sparetire, but am now wondering what I can do in the doors.

Does anyone have pictures of the OEM doors and the 10-inch "woofer" that is in it and its housing? I am wondering if one could do a 6.5", 4" and Tweeter 3way in it's place, or some other combination, maybe (2) 5.25" woofers a 3" or 4" mid and tweet. I obviously have the experience and capability to pull the doors myself, but am afraid once I do that I will loose all restraint. At this point I am just curious and enjoying designing a system.

Ideally, I'd like to do a system using a pair of Rockford 3Sixty.2's (one front, one rear), 3way seperates up front and 3ways in the rear and maybe a single channel of a 2way for the center and utilize the OEM sources. My only concern at this point is obviously wnat the inside of the doors look like, and second... where to put all that equipment and still have a usable trunk. Currently my spare tire well houses my sub system.

Updated:4/29/2008
To add to this thread more in general while discussing the OEM speakers. Does anyone know if the Bose 10inches are 1 ohm or 2 ohm? If I don't replace my speakers, I would like to build some sort of network to block out the low bass on the fronts, and let all the frequencies say below 40hz be handled by my subwoofer I added in the trunk.

All one would need to do was add capacitors to the door sub output of the amplifier in the following values.

for 1 ohm 40 hz highpass filter is 4000 uF
for 2 ohm 40 hz highpass filter is 2000 uF

Last edited by quart; 04-29-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
DO you know for sure what the speaker sizes are in out G37s? Can you list them?

I too am in the process of designing a lil something... no where near your capabilties but something nice and better louder quality.

anyinfo you get please share... cause crutchfield hasnt researched our car yet... so i dont know where to look for sizing and impedances....

thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
quart

Speaker sizes in G

I am not 100% on size but through various sources and conversation am guessing that what is in the car stock is as I list below. Impedence I can't say, but Bose usually uses either really low 1 or 2 ohm speakers, or really high 16-20 ohm speakers in their systems. WHich is why when people replace the Bose speakers with aftermarket ones and don't replace the elctronics, it sounds like A$$.

Center speaker (center of dash)
4" or 5" full range speaker

RH/LH Front (Doors) 3way seperates --
9-10" extended range woofer, 3" mid range (or squawker as Bose calls it) and a tweeter in the A-pilar

RH/LH Rear (side and back) 2Way
3-4" full range in side panels and a 6x8" or 6x9" woofer in rear deck

The cool thing I have found about our car is the mids/hi are on one amp and the subs or woofers (both front and back)have their own amps, so you could replace one without the other.

Attached is a page from the service manual with the locations, but it doesn't mention sizes. If anyone has pictures of the inside of the doors, most likely that means they have taken the car apart and can tell us for sure. I haven't had the time, nor the inclination to tear the car apart until I am ready to actually do a system. Which may or may not happen since I am leasing... unfortunatly I chose to lease in hopes to curtail this Stereo bug I have, but that doesn't seem to have work, b/c here I am....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AV 127.pdf (48.7 KB, 383 views)

Last edited by quart; 04-29-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 AM
leeladisky

I would like to do the same thing, but place a crossover in front of both amps... would this be possible??? Does the G37s have a seperate sub amp???? As we don't have a dedicated sub???

L
Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

yes it had a seperate sub amp... we have 2 10in subs
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 AM
dillyyo

Front doors lower equals ~10 in
front doors upper are 3.25 in
tweeter in sails
center is 3.25 full range
rear sides are 3.25 full range
rear deck is I think 5x7 or 6X9 lower frequencies

Info from Bose and I forget exactly with the rear deck
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

dillyyo to the rescue again... are you any closer to desiding or buying your stuff?
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

And that means we have 3.25 at 4 locations... I looked on crutchfield and they have only 3.5s ... is that going to be a problem finding replacements? I see crutchfield only has 5-6 different 3.5 options...

dillyyo?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
And that means we have 3.25 at 4 locations... I looked on crutchfield and they have only 3.5s ... is that going to be a problem finding replacements? I see crutchfield only has 5-6 different 3.5 options...

dillyyo?
There are zilllions of 3" drivers out there available in places other than Crutchfield. They will be an easy fit.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Well I was looking brand specific... my brand only makes 3.5... will they fit?

and for the 3 in drivers.... wonder why bose makes 3.25 ? maybe its 3 or 3.5 and not 3.25...

geez this car is very stubborn when it comes to audio modding....
Old 04-30-2008, 06:37 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Front doors lower equals ~10 in
front doors upper are 3.25 in
tweeter in sails
center is 3.25 full range
rear sides are 3.25 full range
rear deck is I think 5x7 or 6X9 lower frequencies

Info from Bose and I forget exactly with the rear deck
Visited my G at the install shop today.

Front doors lower equals ~10 in - yup, large diameter hole, very shallow depth. The Dyn mid bass just fit using a template to mount it.

front doors upper are 3.25 in - about that size, very small speaker mounted in the door panel, not the door. Think 3" when you shop. I'm having the Dyn mids mounted in the kick panels because of their size.

tweeter in sails - didn't have those opened today. It'll be tight with the Dyn tweeters and if they don't fit, they'll go where the mids were.

center is 3.25 full range - sound right. I'm leaving mine stock using the Bose amp.

rear sides are 3.25 full range - I'm not using them.

rear deck is I think 5x7 or 6X9 lower frequencies - they are 6x9.

All appear to be "cheap" paper speakers with very small magnets. Not very impressive and much like the ones in my G35. I didn't think to get the impedance on any of them. Sorry.

My install should be done by Friday or Saturday and I think they're taking incremental pictures since this is the first G37 they've done. If so, I'll see about posting them.

Off topic. The rest of my engine parts will be installed Tuesday. I'll be running all Stillen - long intakes, headers, HFC and cat back. Believe it or not, the Infiniti dealer says they might see about a dyno run to see what the combination gets at the wheels. On their nickel. Who da thunk it?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

sweet... get as much info as you can and let us know...
Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 PM
DGCIALP
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
the Infiniti dealer says they might see about a dyno run to see what the combination gets at the wheels. On their nickel. Who da thunk it?
Swweeeet!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:50 PM
KahnQuistador

Here's a start; the factory speakers. On second look, the speakers are better than I thought but not great. Looks like they're not paper. The subs are interesting, eh? Check out that tiny factory mid. I left the OEM tweeters in the original locations so no pictures.

The Dyn tweets were too big for the factory locations so they're installed where the mids were. They're working on the mids today. Probably won't be finished until Saturday.

I talked to the installer about where to tap the signals. He said they had trouble getting the signal quality straight from the head unit on some Bose units. Said they would try before and after the amp. I got the 3sixty.2 so he said they'd experiment a little with the wiring looking for the best sound quality.

The impedance of the OEM speakers:

door sub 1 ohms

door mid 4 ohms, since mids and tweeters are usually wired together, maybe 2 ohms as a set.

rear deck 2 ohms

There are no markings so we measured with a multimeter.
Attached Thumbnails Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars-speakers-33b.jpg   Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars-speakers-34b.jpg   Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars-speakers-38b.jpg   Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars-speakers-36b.jpg   Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars-speakers-37b.jpg  

Last edited by KahnQuistador; 05-01-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 PM
quart

So it looks to me a correct me if I am wrong, we have 10-inch in the doors and 6x9 in rear deck, with a 2-3inch mid and tweeter up front (mid in door also)?

Am I correct to guess Dyn, is Dyn-Audio you are putting in? WOuld love to hear more about your set-up and wiring once it gets done. Sounds similar to what I want to do.

Quick Reply: Inside door pics of Premium Audio cars