Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Adding aftermarket components to STOCK headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 AM
Volant007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Adding aftermarket components to STOCK headunit?

Hey everyone , tried doing a search but couldnt really come up with anything. I like the stock headunit but I want more bass. A friend of mine is selling his sony xplosion subs and amp and I was wondering if I could intergrate it into the Bose system. After he found out I had a Bose system he decided that it would not be a good idea to sell me his system because he said that I shouldn't "mess" with the Bose system or use aftermarket components that aren't Bose as well. Is this true, basically I want to add more bass with the help of an amp and a sub or 2. Is it possible to use another brand to achieve this or must I use Bose components, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:43 AM
jedmonds
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes you can, a lot of us are running single or multiple subs with the bose system.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Volant007
Hey everyone , tried doing a search but couldnt really come up with anything. I like the stock headunit but I want more bass. A friend of mine is selling his sony xplosion subs and amp and I was wondering if I could intergrate it into the Bose system. After he found out I had a Bose system he decided that it would not be a good idea to sell me his system because he said that I shouldn't "mess" with the Bose system or use aftermarket components that aren't Bose as well. Is this true, basically I want to add more bass with the help of an amp and a sub or 2. Is it possible to use another brand to achieve this or must I use Bose components, any help would be greatly appreciated!
very very possible.......
Old 04-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Volant007

good to know that i can add aftermarket stuff. Ok so I just want to add more bass! The tweets and mid range are fine to me but I need a little more thump, what do I need to get?! I know that I need an amp and subs + enclosure and cables, but do I need a crossover, etc... I don't know a great deal about car audio so any help would be appreciated. I think I will need a cap (not sure if that this the correct term) as I do not want to drain the battery. I think 500 to 1000 watts should be fine as far as a sub is concerned. Everyone speaks highly of JL audio, but I do not consider myself an audiophile and am not looking for anything high end, I got this car because it was the most "bang for the buck" (btw I do think this car is worth more than the price tag!) and I am happy with Sony components or anything comparable, can anyone make any suggestions? Also has anyone actually made a DIY for the wiring and such or should I just buy the components and take it to get pro installed?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
kiddmaff5646

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is my set-up nice and simple..

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/176860-g37-custom-box-installed.html
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Volant007

Originally Posted by jedmonds
yes you can, a lot of us are running single or multiple subs with the bose system.
Did you have to add an amp or did u just run it from the bose amp. Also does anyone have the specs (watts and such) of the factory bose system incl the amps and speakers? I did a search and found the diagrams of where everything is, but nothing on the component watts, ohms, etc. Thanks!