Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ipod Equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:19 PM
chinua

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ipod Equalizer

I was trying to test the Ipod equalizer settings (which I set in itunes) in the car by playing the same tune with different equalizations but I could not tell the diffrence. My Ipod's equalizer setting is on "flat," as it works on any other system.

I've been told that I'm going deaf so with that being said...

Do you know if the head unit fails to recognize the equalization setting from the Ipod?

Last edited by chinua; 04-13-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:52 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you set your iPod to Flat, all songs will have "Flat" equalization regardless of your settings in iTunes. You want it set to "Off" instead to have each song have their own EQ that's set in iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

See "Turn off EQ:" from the page above for Apple's explanation.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I set the equalization on my IPod it makes a difference when I play music. So if I change it to "bass boost" then it gives the some more bass etc. Not sure if this is what you are talking about though.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:44 PM
leeladisky

But depending upon the songs volume level and volume boost setting in iTunes for the song, it is very easy to clip the song and overdrive the headunit causing distortion. Its best to turn it to flat or off (if you don't have settings in the songs) and control via the headunit.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
chinua

Originally Posted by likwidfuzion

See "Turn off EQ:" from the page above for Apple's explanation.
Thanks, I had it backwards... I feel kinda stupid but that's okay I will test it again with the "EQ off" on the Ipod

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Not sure if this is what you are talking about though.
Yes, this was my assumption. So I guess you did this by setting the Ipod EQ to off... Thanks

Originally Posted by leeladisky
But depending upon the songs volume level and volume boost setting in iTunes for the song, it is very easy to clip the song and overdrive the headunit causing distortion. Its best to turn it to flat or off (if you don't have settings in the songs) and control via the headunit.
You are correct, but if you set it up right, I think that you can achieve a better sound with our "premium" system. I will test it to double check.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:48 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I have put my IPod eq to bass boost on certain songs that the system couldn't get the bass to hit without turning the sound up very load. One of them was a White Zombie song but I don't remember the name. I was like this song is suppose to have a hard hitting bass track that sounds dope. Let me try putting my IPod on bass boost. It sounded so much better when I put the IPod on bass boost...
Old 04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
chinua

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I was like this song is suppose to have a hard hitting bass track that sounds dope.
I have my Zombie set on "rock" but I will try it on "bass." I like the "rock" EQ because it adds depth to the bass line and also to the riffing guitars
Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

I might need to try that "rock" setting. All I know is I played "More Human Than Human" (that was the song) and was like WTF. This sounds flat and like crap. Set the IPod to Bass Boost and it sounded great. Then of course JayZ came on afterwords and the bass boost made that sound like crap so had to turn it off.