Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Aftermarket Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 AM
patel511

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Sound System

Instead of the Premium pkg, I was planning on getting a G without it, and I thought about going to an aftermarket head unit and speaker with amp. Has anyone done this to their G? What does it look like, is the screen that comes with the G gone?

I am confused....Or I can just get the Premium with Bose as a second choice...

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Just go premium w/ Bose. It'll sound great and look way better than any aftermarket setup in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
patel511

A lot of functionality would have to be compromised if I go aftermarket, right?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not sure. I think it depends on what you get and your budget. Companies make things that can integrate your steering controls to the new unit not sure who or what though just remember reading about it.

Just do a search first, I've seen lots of good threads about this that will probably give you all the info you need.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patel511
A lot of functionality would have to be compromised if I go aftermarket, right?
Yes for the most part because you will lose some functions such as the touch screen for A/V. If you like or don't mind the Bose sound then get the premium package, and if you want more base get a sub or set of subs. If you really hate Bose and don't care or want the other benefits of the premium package then don't get premium. Remember the premium package is more than the sterio system.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 AM
DoubleParadoxx

I did not get the premium system for just your reasoning. The Bose system sounds just as bad as the base audio. Anyone telling you the Bose system sounds good has not heard real aftermarket.

I have not had my stuff installed yet, but what you do is get a DSP processor that its between the stock headunit and your amps which gives you filtering and equalization. This is going to give you all the benefit of an aftermarket headunit without paying out your bum for a custom console replacement (drop ins dont exist yet).

I'm going to go with this one: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...item_id=106187

It gives you all your standard headunit goodies on your PC via Bluetooth.

The only downside that I've felt is you lose the powered rear-view (my parents are in a gated community and it would have been nice to have the gate entry in the car), but for $3200 that I can invest in real audio equipment and still have money left over I'll deal.

Oh yeah, and I got a $300 Garmin that does everything the $2000 Infiniti nav unit would have done.

Last edited by DoubleParadoxx; 03-21-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 AM
C@ciQ

BOSE is not what i expected. Im going with JL speakers and JL sub plus JL digital processor JL amps 500/1v2(sub) + 300/1v2(speakers). 4080 enclosure. Keeping Head unit.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The stock BOSE is definitely not for the audiophile, but it sounds pretty decent to me. Unless someone can come up with a way to integrate the HVAC and other displays into an aftermarket HU or screen, I think you would have to keep the stock HU. Should be interesting to see what people come up with.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
C@ciQ

Hvac?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

heating, ventilation, ac.

our stock screens show climate control info such as temp settings, fan speeds, fan position. there is also the trip computer and maintenance screens, car settings screen, nav (if equipped).

my question is, how will all of that be displayed on an aftermarket screen or HU?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Callaway
heating, ventilation, ac.

our stock screens show climate control info such as temp settings, fan speeds, fan position. there is also the trip computer and maintenance screens, car settings screen, nav (if equipped).

my question is, how will all of that be displayed on an aftermarket screen or HU?
It can't. Those who opt to pass on the premium package just because they intend to install an aftermarket head unit sacrifice a lot more than the stereo and nav. I've never been a Bose fan either, but the stock head unit and it's integrated functionality is something I'd never want to sacrifice. I'll just replace everything after the head unit and still have almost as great a sounding system as anyone with an aftermarket HU, but I'll also retain full control of everything and wont have to pay lots of cash to make the aftermarket HU and navigation look like they weren't an afterthought.

The HU controls :
Rear view camera
HVAC
Navigation
AM/FM/XM/CD/iPOD/HD/CF sound system functions
Computer functions (Fuel economy, etc.)
Phone/Bluetooth
Settings
Well, you get the picture
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleParadoxx

I'm going to go with this one: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...item_id=106187

It gives you all your standard headunit goodies on your PC via Bluetooth.
Nice unit. It's on the top of my list right now as well as far as aftermarket DSP, pending something better coming out soon. Keeping the premium package HU though.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:08 PM
patel511

Big noob question: I am coming out if a 2007 Camry which had its own premium sound pkg from JBL so I took it, but in my 1995 Camry I did a aftermarket headunit, infinity 6X9's and 6-1/2's with two twelve inch kicker comp vr's, then i totaled it and everything was messed up, so I really didn't get to do everything to the car. My question is what is a DSP?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

digital signal processor.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is one more bit of technology making itself heard in current models. Appearing first in car audio about 10 years ago, DSP has gone through some changes and now finds itself in factory sound systems. For a listen, get hold of a 2003 Ford Explorer or Expedition equipped with the premium sound system. DSP works by manipulating and delaying the audio signal to create a psycho-acoustic effect (yes, that's a real word) and "fool" the listener into hearing something that isn't there. In layman's terms, the delay creates a series of echoes that have been preprogrammed to give a certain effect. In most systems, there are several settings, such as "Concert Hall," "Jazz Club" or "Stadium."

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/aud...5/article.html

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sound System