Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

JL W7 10" in a g37?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
nodsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL W7 10" in a g37?

so if i went through, it would be my first sub install. i have the bose SOW option on my g but it just doesn't cut it for the deeper bass. I want to be able to fill out the bass even more but still have room on my volume bar to push it to levels when ppl can say wow thats pretty f***in loud.

so far im hearing that a JL 10" W7 with a nice 1000 watt amp would do the trick... great. so i got to thinking, if i really wanted to do this, how am i ganna make this work? well, i was looking around to see if any1 was making boxes fit to the g37. Ive seen the ZEncosure and the 4080 which is just coming out this week. see, from what i understand, i think the w7 is going to need more airspace than those two offer.

so am i going to have to get a custom box made? is this sub too big for me? would the w6 10" cut it? in total, how much do you think i will be spending for either a w6 or a w7 all set up? any opinions on the difference from the w6 to the w7? are there any other subs you can recommend? amps?

much appreciated. so far the g is treating me like a king but i think the excitment is fading away and the minor details appear to be more radiant. its making me want to more sound, my nav/dvd thing unlocked, a remote start, and maybe fiddle with the lighting? leds? fogs?

thanks,
brandon
Old 03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The W7 is a HUGE sub, if you are planning on using your trunk for anything I would recommend a W6, plenty of bass in half the space! And neither will fit properly in the 4080 enclosure. Take a look at the W5's too.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
nodsky

i think the bose SOW includes 2 10" somewhere..? what if i replaced those with better subs?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
sumo8me

I just put 2 10w3's in the zenclosure box and its pretty loud. i would think a w6 would be reeeally loud, haha. zenclosure box only has .5 cu ft of air for each sub. i was a little worried on how it would sound and asked the guy if stuffing would help. he said with the subs i got it wouldnt help at all but because of the subs i got it would still sound good. it sounds awesome to me. i dont know what it woudl sound like with the proper amount of air... but right now im very satisfied. Everyone has their own option on how they like it. when i push my subs, they get to the point where the stock speakers arent loud enough and you mainly hear bass. Trunk rattles a lot... maybe dynamat would help (not sure theres a lot of bass, haha) I would think if you want a w7 pushed to the max you might want to invest in replacing all of the other speakers as well to make it sound clean. I am definately no expert on this subject, but just my option. I'm interested to what everyone else says.

I want to do all the little detail things too. Just waiting on my friend to get them in stock. Its definately exciting thinking about what you're cars going to look like when its done... if you're ever done with it, haha. It seems like theres always something you can do.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 PM
jedmonds
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
The W7 is a HUGE sub, if you are planning on using your trunk for anything I would recommend a W6, plenty of bass in half the space! And neither will fit properly in the 4080 enclosure. Take a look at the W5's too.
The W6 fits in the 4080 box....am I missing something?

Name:  DSCN2391.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  82.3 KB
Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It just depends what the OP thinks is enough bass... cause alot of you all are fine with 1 ten and I personally am fine with 5-10s or 3-12s or 2-13.5s...LOLOL

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 03-12-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:33 PM
DoubleParadoxx

Make sure you hear the W7 before you buy it. Its very "transparent" and does not sound like other subs.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM
sumo8me

Originally Posted by nodsky
i think the bose SOW includes 2 10" somewhere..? what if i replaced those with better subs?
it has them in the doors, but i believe they are free air subs so they wont hit has hard as normal boxed subs. anyone correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:08 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by jedmonds
The W6 fits in the 4080 box....am I missing something?

It fits, but I'm not too sure if it has the correct airspace for a W6, I don't know anything about those boxes but from what I've seen they are not made specifically for a W6. I always get custom boxes made for my W6's for a reason.. BUt anyways, the W7 is not a good choice for a sub in the G37.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM
serenitynow

sub options

The W6V2 was one of the subs the G37 4080 was designed around so yes it will perform excellent in the enclosure... and has been proven to perform excellent in the G35 4080 enclosure by many customers.

no worries...

If you are going to go crazy (basshead) and go the W7 route, do a 12W7 in a properly designed vented enclosure. You won't get much out of it above 55 HZ so you'll need some killer midbass spkrs. up front to keep up. The W7's tend to get a bad rep because of poor enclosure design and improper settings on the amp (crossover and gain) and head unit... The W7's need a great installer and system design to truly shine.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleParadoxx
Make sure you hear the W7 before you buy it. Its very "transparent" and does not sound like other subs.
Can you explain the what Transparent means?
I know car audio pretty well but I dont know the technicaly terms and stuff...
Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Can you explain the what Transparent means?
I know car audio pretty well but I dont know the technicaly terms and stuff...
Probably means it sounds a little distorted, its a huge woofer w/ some serious power.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
DoubleParadoxx

Car Audio Disclaimer: I am not an audiophile or an expert, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Others are welcome to disagree.

I mean there is less distortion than most subs. The W7 is a very low end (frequency wise) sub; so if tuned properly you're going to miss a lot off midbass unless you have extra midbass drivers. Think of it like setting your low pass filter very low on any other sub.

I went to Tweeter to listen to the W7 and while it sounded amazing on a sine sweep (low to high frequency test track) it sounded like something was missing when I played my different tracks. Now maybe their tune was off (and i was in a 10'x10'x10' room), but I heard the same thing I'm telling you now from other people before I went to check it out and I agree with what I was told.

Some people like it, some people do not. Its a high quality sub and its going to hit hard, I just recommend you hear it yourself before you you spend all the money on it because it definately sounds different than any other sub I've heard.

I also recommend you check out some videos of it on youtube because you'll see this thing lifting Escalades off the ground. It might be too much for a G. (That said I'm about to get 2 500w 10s for mine so hurray for excessive consumption)
Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 AM
C@ciQ

good news or bad news? i recently ordered one of dez sob w/ a 5001/v2 amp. But I cant find anybody around here to create what I got on mind. From wut I read here is wut I wun. So do I hve too change to component speakers? Which ones?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:39 AM
C@ciQ

If I decide to swap all my speakers for JL do I have to swap the head unit 2?

Quick Reply: JL W7 10" in a g37?