Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

CarPC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 AM
RPMsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPC.

Ok guys... First I searched for non-sub amp (4-channel) info and found nothing, then I searched for CarPC and found nothing on this forum???

First, the sound:
I do not have NAV but I do have Premium Sound. I want max volume to be way louder. Am I going to have to replace the speakers (5 of them right?) or can I just power them with my own 5-channel amp (or preferably 4-channel amp)? Should I replace the stock amp, or use my 4-channel amps speaker-level inputs and just insert it between the stock amp and the speakers? (NOTE: I will have a sub + sub-amp too)

Now the PC:
No CarPC people here? I was thinking I could install a 7" touchscreen on the bottom of the console - over the ash-tray part, in front of the stick, over the pass-air bag light (non-Nav has no CF slot). I could then run a dual-monitor skin that showed PC-Nav on the stock LCDs video-input with PC Audio/Control on the lower touch screen.

I would also like to investigate having the PC emulate an iPOD so I could use the stock controls, and/or replacing the stock LCD with a VGA-input touch-screen while retaining the stock interface on the video-input.

Does anyone have more info on any of this, or will I be pioneering the effort?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No one has changes there speakers out yet... but I want to... so if you do... document the process well if you can...thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 PM
NicoDeLorenzo

Two things:

1. I don't know about the non-nav premium sound but with the nav we have 11 speakers. Three on each door, one on the dash, two on the rear deck and two by the rear seats.

2. With my QX4 and my friends Maxima each bose speaker has its own amp. So I had to run new wires from the amp to each speaker. I would be very surprised to hear that this was changed. It makes a big project out of adding after market speakers.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 PM
J.Oh

lol because bose is such a pain the the neck to add aftermarket speakers/subs/ we because of the wiring i stuck with non premium sound yay for me roflll
Old 03-15-2008, 04:34 AM
smoothieboy
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would love to have a carpc installed....there's ton of pplz on mp3car.com that has done many different projects
Old 03-15-2008, 04:54 AM
RPMsG37

I've given up on the speakers for now and will just worry about the Sub and a PC.

I am going to buy a new lower-part of the dash so I can modify it. The curved silver where the dash is recessed comes completely off with 2 screws. Then, I think I can just cut-in the extruding sides to make a slot for a 7" or maybe even an 8" LCD that will sit just in front of the gear shift.

That touch-screen will be for control of the CarPC and media browsing. The stock LCD's video-in will be configured as dual-screen on the PC and will be switchable from Navigation, MilkDrop, Movie File, or anything else I want it to .

The one thing I haven't figured out is this:

If you are using the A/V input (Aux) and you switch to, say, Fuel Economy on the LCD... Does the music from the A/V input keep playing?

I cannot test as my car is now being shipped cross country which takes 9 days. 8 days left till I get to drive it again

NOTE: I am a member of mp3Car. RoadRunner is the FrontEnd I use. I make my own skins. Once I have the hardware done I will make a skin that looks just like our stock UI (Hopefully, if I can find some hi-res screen shots of it).

Last edited by RPMsG37; 03-15-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
fuzemagazine

Originally Posted by RPMsG37
I've given up on the speakers for now and will just worry about the Sub and a PC.

I am going to buy a new lower-part of the dash so I can modify it. The curved silver where the dash is recessed comes completely off with 2 screws. Then, I think I can just cut-in the extruding sides to make a slot for a 7" or maybe even an 8" LCD that will sit just in front of the gear shift.

That touch-screen will be for control of the CarPC and media browsing. The stock LCD's video-in will be configured as dual-screen on the PC and will be switchable from Navigation, MilkDrop, Movie File, or anything else I want it to .

The one thing I haven't figured out is this:

If you are using the A/V input (Aux) and you switch to, say, Fuel Economy on the LCD... Does the music from the A/V input keep playing?

I cannot test as my car is now being shipped cross country which takes 9 days. 8 days left till I get to drive it again

NOTE: I am a member of mp3Car. RoadRunner is the FrontEnd I use. I make my own skins. Once I have the hardware done I will make a skin that looks just like our stock UI (Hopefully, if I can find some hi-res screen shots of it).
What was the outcome?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Mid-Life Crisis

Car PC

My son recently installed his own carputer in a MazdaSpeed and had a long DIY on their forums. I believe he called it a double DIN and I know it has a 7" screen and a 500 GB hard drive. I can provide the link if there is interest.

Here are the specs:

Carputer
Intel D945GCLF2 /w Intel Atom 1.6 Dual Core CPU
Kingston ValueRAM KVR667D2N5/2G PC2-5300 2GB
Hitachi Deskstar 500GB 2.5IN SATA2 HDD
Lilliput EBY701 7" Touch Screen Monitor
OBD II USB ELM323 Code Reader Interface
Bluetooth Receiver
WiFi Network adapter
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme
Pharos iGPS-360 USB dongle
Andrea Super Beam Microphone

Audio
1x JL Audio 500/1 Monoblock Amp
1x JL Audio 300/4 4-Channel Amp
2x JL Audio 10w1v2-4 Sub
6.5" Front Components w/ Crossover & Independent tweeter (don't know which yet)
6" Rear Components w/ Integrated tweeter (don't know which yet)

Dampening
100 Sq./Ft. B-quiet Extreme Sound Dampening (Cabin, Doors, Trunk)
Carpet under liner in cabin
Old 05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
RPMsG37

Originally Posted by fuzemagazine
What was the outcome?
Awesomeness!

The top is video (all my music is ripped from YouTube video-grabber now) or Garmin MobilePC Navigation.
The bottom touch-screen is for browsing music/movies/tv/weather/internet or playing WinAmps MilkDrop Visualization.
Attached Thumbnails CarPC.-infinitipc.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
InfiniDrew

Originally Posted by fuzemagazine
What was the outcome?

I'm interested too since I am in the middle of doing this myself (Carputer, new amps, new speakers). My poor car is all over the garage as we speak. I've got another week or two worth of work left tho...
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RPMsG37
Awesomeness!

The top is video (all my music is ripped from YouTube video-grabber now) or Garmin MobilePC Navigation.
The bottom touch-screen is for browsing music/movies/tv/weather/internet or playing WinAmps MilkDrop Visualization.
woah! can you give us a shopping list and a step by step on how you did this?

good job!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
SpeedDemon1214

This is nice, what are the specs on the computer you used?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
RPMsG37

The list is pretty much just one part... a VGA touch-screen that can fit between those 2 pillers. I got this one off ebay for like $140 two years ago. You just need to measure and check the outer dimensions.

The ash-tray part can be easily removed and the wires to the lighter-plug can power the LCD.

I took the back plastic off my LCD so it would squeeze in to the hole better.

While the dash is open you need to do the video-while-driving mod (you cut the tachometer wire plus cut & ground the parking break wire).

Then you simply pop a PC in the trunk that has VGA output for the LCD, USB input (for the touch-screen), and video/audio output for the stock-screen/sound line-in at the center-console. I removed the iPOD jack (since I don't use it) and ran the 3-RCA's for A/V through that hole and under the carpet to the trunk where the PC is. I have a USB hub in the center-console too.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Here is a site for some interesting carputer parts:

Mobile Computing Solutions - Innovations in Mini ITX

The cpus get mounted right in the dash and aren't very expensive.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:50 PM
RPMsG37

You can use any PC that you want. It doesn't take much power.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate using Ride-Runner as my CarPC frontend and Garmin Mobile PC as my GPS Navigation.

The PC is a P4-1.2GHz with 1G RAM.
Built-in Video/Audio (with RCA-video-out)
USB-WiFi / USB-GPS / USB-DiNovo Mini Keyboard

32GB SSD drive (actually a CF Card that it can boot off of).
(I used to just use an old 20GB 2.5" 20GB laptop drive).

USB 64GB Flash Key (plugged in to hub in center console) for holding up to 4000 YouTube HQ Music Videos (free to download all you want).

System auto-connects to internet for live YouTube/Hulu/Pandora Streaming if I plug my phone in to the USB hub in the center console, or if I turn on my phones WiFi-router mode, or if I am within a block of my house/work WiFi. With internet it also does webbrowsing, e-mail, weather, traffic, gas-prices, skype, and navigation through Google Earth.

Quick Reply: CarPC.