Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

CarPC.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM
GeeeeOhhhh
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have the computer hooked up to a power inverter? or you have it hardwired?

does the computer turn on when you turn on the car and shut down when you turn off the car?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:18 PM
RPMsG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is hardwired using an M4-ATX. There are many other good DC-DC solutions too (including the cheaper M2-ATX). You could also use a laptop with either an inverter or a DC-DC lighter plug built for it. The problem with a laptop is getting it to power-on with the car (shutting down when unplugged is easy). I DO NOT recommend using an inverter with a desktop/ITX... get a 12V DC-DC like the M2-ATX.

Mine does auto-shutdown properly with the car off, and auto-boot with the car on/acc. I have a small power-switch mounted in the coin-holder too in case I want to keep it off with the car on, keep it on with the car off, or reboot/turn-on/off mid-drive.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
InfiniDrew

+1...Do not use an inverter. I was using a Carnetix power supply in my last car, but I will be using the same as RPMsG37 once it's in.

RPMsG37 - are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I just upgraded my PC and plan on using the 64bit version (since it's what I have around the house). But I've been reading at MP3car.com that Xport doesn't work well on the 64 bit version. Have you run into any problems?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:48 PM
RPMsG37

I'm running a P4 1.2GHz... so yeah, 32-bit. I run 64-bit on multiple other PCs (some used to test RR) with no issues. I don't know about XPort with 64-bit, but I'm not surprised there are driver-problems. I'm sure there are other alternative GPS-splitters that work under 64-bit (probably not free like XPort though).
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
InfiniDrew

I'm looking into it...I will let you know what I find.

Yeah my new PC is a bit overkill, but I didn't want to compromise like I did when I got the VIA. lol I got a ZOTAC H55-ITX with an i3. The BIOS startup time is phenomenally quicker that starting from a cold start is actually faster than from Hibernation.

Are you using still the stock screen up top? I already put the stock screen down where you have your main screen by the shifter so I can put the carPC screen in the stock location.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
thejumpoff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InfiniDrew
I'm looking into it...I will let you know what I find.

Yeah my new PC is a bit overkill, but I didn't want to compromise like I did when I got the VIA. lol I got a ZOTAC H55-ITX with an i3. The BIOS startup time is phenomenally quicker that starting from a cold start is actually faster than from Hibernation.

Are you using still the stock screen up top? I already put the stock screen down where you have your main screen by the shifter so I can put the carPC screen in the stock location.
Does the stock screen fit at the bottom with no modification to the spacing? (i.e. grinding down brackets, shaving metal, etc) What replacement screen do you plan on going with? I'm planning on doing my build as well and it looks like you went with a good mobo choice. What are your plans for the case btw?

I'm still torn between using the smaller M3-ATX or sticking with the M2-ATX.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM
thejumpoff

Also, I'm assuming since your moving the stock screen to the bottom, you won't be able to use any of the steering wheel functions/push button functions anymore, or are you using a Joycon with your setup?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:10 PM
InfiniDrew

I had to do some minor cutting to get the stock screen to fit...but I only did it so it would sit further back into the dash. I could have simply left it wedged in without cutting, but it sat a little too high for my likes. The little cutting I did won't be visible if I put it all the trim back to stock.

I have been using a Castronic C138, but the power supply won't support the new Zotac MB which is why I'll be going with the M4-ATX like RPMs is using. It'll be mounted under the right plastic trim in the trunk.

I ordered the new Joycon EX and will try it out (eventually). If I can get it to work, I might try to use a relay that will switch between the carputer and the stock stereo with the push of a button...but that'll be last on my list.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Haji

Do us a huge favor and write up a guide!
I want to hook up a mac mini!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
thejumpoff

Originally Posted by iasskicker
Do us a huge favor and write up a guide!
I want to hook up a mac mini!!!
Only problem with using a laptop is finding a means to turn it on/off with the car. The good thing about going with a PC is the ATX power supplies have a +/-/IGN line that allows the PC to power on/off with the car. Jumper settings dictate the timer on how long it stays on after you shut the car off.

Drew, any recommendations for a replacement screen that accepts VGA for the pc?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Haji

Originally Posted by thejumpoff
Only problem with using a laptop is finding a means to turn it on/off with the car. The good thing about going with a PC is the ATX power supplies have a +/-/IGN line that allows the PC to power on/off with the car. Jumper settings dictate the timer on how long it stays on after you shut the car off.

Drew, any recommendations for a replacement screen that accepts VGA for the pc?
It is a PC lol
Mac Mini = the tiny tower apple created
MacBook = the laptop
Old 05-06-2010, 09:26 PM
InfiniDrew

Lilliput or Xenarc both make some good touchscreens. I have a Xenarc which tends to be a bit more expensive because they used to be of much better quality compared to the Lilliput (back when I bought it). But now Lilliput is making some good stuff as well...and much cheaper. The store at MP3car.com sells both brands if you want to compare.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 AM
RPMsG37

I've never owned a Transflective, but that is definitely the way to go unless you have dark tint. I don't get direct sunlight on the screen often, but when you do you won't be able to see it at all without shading it with your hand. This is true with all back-lit touchscreens no matter how bright. Transference is the only was to get true daylight readability.

This one is solid metal and fit good in my old car.

This is the one is in my G37
Old 05-08-2010, 01:04 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
There's a guy on the G8 boards who has integrated an iPad into the console of his G8. He moved the stock screen down where you guys have the carPC screen, abd placed the iPad in the center. Plus his car makes like, 500 whp, lol.

Mmmm...Ipad is coming - Page 7 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 AM
fuzemagazine

Thanks for posting that pic!!! For some reason I can't visualize it fitting when I look at my own. lol! It looks CLEAN though.

Quick Reply: CarPC.