Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Daylight Savings Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 AM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMichael
It says in the manual that time is synced from the GPS satellites not XM satellites (for the digital clock obviously).

"This clock will indicate the time almost exactly because it is always adjusted by the GPS system." 4-17

The reason you select time-zone etc is because the GPS satellites don't put out that information. Yeah it would probably be trivial to calculate it but the car doesn't so the time-zone is the offset for the time received from the satellites.
MrM, That makes sense. I missed that in the manual. So the time is goverened by satellite and that's why there is the offset setting. You'd think the GPS should be intelligent enough to know what timezone your car is in but that would be too sofisticated.

I'm in a state that observes DST so I set this to ON and the car should have the right time at all time.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fkat
I'm in a state that observes DST so I set this to ON and the car should have the right time at all time.
Nope. You'll have to set it to OFF when we go off DST in the Fall.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
^ The teensy tiny buttons on it
thanks
Originally Posted by gmlee86
Theres two buttons on the bottom left and right corners. The left button turns the clock back and the right button turns the clock forward. Just hold the right one til it gets close to an hour forward then press it to get it exact.
thanks