Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why did my VDC and Slip Lights come on while at a stop light??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did my VDC and Slip Lights come on while at a stop light??

Tried the search, but did not see this anywhere. I have the G37s 6MT and am new to the manual transmission world. I learned about 10 years ago, but this is my first car that I own that is manual. Love the thing BTW. Anyway, I was at a stop light today and I was fiddling with the pedals and somehow the car dissabled(lights turned on) VDC, SLIP and something else(can't remember). I had this happen to me a few weeks back at a stop light and it was when I was fiddling with the pedals. Can't remember the exact combination. Anyway, is this normal, is this a means to disable those features if I were to be peeling out from a stop or street racing someone? Whats the deal?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what were u doing with the pedals exactly? maybe if you fidget to much it goes weird. never had it happen in mine though. you sure you didn't stall?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:52 PM
willizm

No, didn't stall. I have stalled before and this was definitely not stalling. It was almost like I put the car into a burnout setting or something as it disabled all of the things that would keep me from doing donuts. I didn't do any of that, but when I stopped the car in a parking lot a few minutes later i pulled the parking break, set in neutral, and turned off the vehicle. I started the car up an it kept those lights on. It is only until I turn off the vehicle, open the door, close the door, start the car is when it will be back to normal. Thats why I think it's some type of setting similar to how the new GT-R has the auto launch kinda thing. Not sure though.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 PM
xref

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think he's talking about the "limp" mode. if you push hard on the gas pedal when stopped (not rolling), the car does this. happened to me one time when i missed first gear and the engine rev'ed up to 7k. just turned off the car, waited a minute or two, then turned it back on.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 PM
willizm

no, this is different. I had the "limp" mode happen to me before were i reved to high and it would govern at 2500RPM
Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
odd i have never heard anything like this. Any idea exactly what you did with the pedals?
Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i havent either... especially with a 6MT.. it sounds like you stalled to me.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:48 AM
willizm

If i would have stalled then I would have to restart the car. I didn't do that. It wasn't like I was in the midst of stalling and hammered on the clutch or gas to save it either. I talked to my brother and he said that it sounded like some type of race mode to disable the electronics safety features. He said his z06 did a similar type of function, but not with the pedals.