Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cant find a Remote Tap for adding an amp!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HA... Ill tell ya...

I stripped a half of inch and wrapped the remote around the Grey Tight... It didnt work...
I used a clamp also that cut into a wire.... (wire tap) It didnt work...

I dont have a clue what the F**K is goin on... Im soo lost... DILLYYOOO WTF ARE YOU AT?????? lol....
Old 03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I am tapping out. I don't know man. Hopefully dillyyo can give you some other insight.

Good Luck
Sorry I couldn't help you.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Yea.... Thanks for your help... If you know of another spot i can get a remote tap please tell me... Ill even take something under the steering column if I have too...
Old 03-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Dieseldoug22

Since you tried a direct wire to wire connection I have one out of the box theory. I don't know if there is much stock in the my next statement but, the gray trigger wire might not have enough power to turn on the amp. Your amp is a strong one and there might be a chance that the relay in the amp isn't being triggered by the remote wire. An alternative is to hook up another relay that has its constant coming from your main power wire and is triggered by the remote wire. I wouldn't think that that would be the problem but it might be.
You can try this if you want or wait and see what dillyyo has to say.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Im not sure i understand 100% ?????
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Dieseldoug22

Well in order for a relay to be triggered it needs a certain amount of amperage to make the electromagnetic coil pull the switch closed.

There might be a possibility that the remote wire doesn't put out enough amperage to actually turn on the RF amp. And like you said it works okay using the yellow wire but not the gray one the yellow one may have more amperage available to it. Now like I said this is outside the box, but if you want to experiment, get an auto relay and hook the switch part of the relay to a constant power source. And hook the output into your remote input on the amp. Hook the electromagnet side of the relay to ground and the trigger wire (gray wire). That way you will have a good flow of power to the remote turn-on on the RF amp.
I now there is a little work involved but if all else fails, it is an option.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Where can I get this relay and What is it? You have crossed the line in what i understand.. lol...

If this fails... Where is another location I can tap from? Fuse box somewhere?

Oh btw... when I had it working... I never thought 1 10 could pound soo hard!
Old 03-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Dieseldoug22

Yeah one 10 really does wonders for this car. Mine is way more than I could use.

Unfortunately I don't think that there is really anywhere else to get the signal. Now this is just an idea but you could probably use an acc. wire to turn on the amp. You know something that is controlled by the ignition not the radio.

As for the relay. You can get one at radio shack, just ask for an automotive relay. Basically what you want to do is use (let's say) the main power wire to the RF amp and tap off of that. Just put a wire into the terminal on the RF amp where the connection is made. And hook that to one side of the switch connection of the relay. Use another wire and connect it from the output of the switch the the remote input on the amp.

Now connect your jumper from the sub amp to the positive side of the electromagnet (EM) part of the relay. And hook the negative side of the EM part of the relay to ground.

Now when you turn on your stereo it will activate the relay which will in turn make the connection in the relay and you will be getting a switched power supply to the remote input on the amp.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Ok i may try this... I am goin to rig and toggle switch for it tomorrow untill I can get this **** figured out...

I wouldnt say its more than I need as I am goin for 2 13s when the new JL comes out LOL

Hey another quick question... I have 0 gauge ran... Do I need a distrution block for my ground wire also? I know i need one for the power wire 0 to (2) 4gauges. But do I need it for the ground wire to?

basically i have 0 gauge ran and amp accepts 4gauge inputs only...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Dieseldoug22

If you are going to have multiple amps and other stuff than it makes a neater install. But if you are just going to have the one amp than no. Just put a nice big old eyelet on it and remember to scrape the paint off the car before you mount it to the chassis.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

What do you mean? mount what to the chasis?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Dieseldoug22

You mount the ground to the chassis of the car. You don't need to go all the way back to the battery. Just find a bolt that is holding something together and you can put the eyelet on there. Just scrape any paint so that you get a good metal to metal mounting place.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

yea i know that... I thought you were meaning the amp...
I actually grounded it to a bracket on the chasis of whatever processor or silver box is in front of the bose amps...

So what about those distrution block for the groung goin to 4 ga from 0? needed or no?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Dieseldoug22

I don't quite understand the question, but for the ground you don't need a distro block, just do the 4 gauge to the chassis. On the positive side you can do a distro block. If you are making a display of the amp you can add the distro block and it will look real nice.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Well I have always heard that your system is as good as its smallest wire... I have 0 grounded already... I just need a way to evening turn the 0 into 4 without being to ghetto....

i need to find a Stinger Distribution block that goes from 0 to )2( 4gauges... I cant seem to find one... any links?

Quick Reply: Cant find a Remote Tap for adding an amp!