Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

adding navi

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
dont do an aftermarket!!!

call up your dealer tommrow and ask them how much they would do it got. If under 3k i say do it.. or dont do anything..

DO NOT DO AFTERMARKET
What's wrong with aftermarket, less the integration? I also did an aftermarket Nav install in my G35 and it was much better than the Nav, had DVD ability, Play Station, Carputer, for less than $2000!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i dont like them its my opinion. mess with speakers n sound, if not cut right etc.. all prob def wont be as good as the g37s nav IMO
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
i dont like them its my opinion. mess with speakers n sound, if not cut right etc.. all prob def wont be as good as the g37s nav IMO
LOL
Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM
ten94skyline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think you will be able to have the stock nav installed, they couldnt on every car ive ever heard of having this problem. they couldnt on my friends 350z because cars with and without nav are wired completely different. the nav isnt just a nav system it also controls a thousand different aspects of the car...however the G does come with the screen and such and i had a 2007 g35 sedan wit nav and now have the g37 without nav and there is very little difference.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:41 PM
bfranks

It's not that it CAN'T be done.....it's that it's no longer a $2000 option at that point. And to be honest, if I didn't have Nav I wouldn't even consider spending that kind of money to add it after the fact. Just spend $200-$300 and get a Garmin. It's a fraction of the cost, and for purely navigating, will work better.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
i cannot see any aftermarket unit coming out any time soon for the reasons callaway gave. unless aftermarket nav makers can come up with a plug and play unit that can interface climate control and radio, trip computer etc., it is not a viable option.

also, i can almost guarantee that a dealership would not touch a factory nav swap with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by ten94skyline
i dont think you will be able to have the stock nav installed, they couldnt on every car ive ever heard of having this problem. they couldnt on my friends 350z because cars with and without nav are wired completely different. the nav isnt just a nav system it also controls a thousand different aspects of the car...however the G does come with the screen and such and i had a 2007 g35 sedan wit nav and now have the g37 without nav and there is very little difference.
The screen has to be changed too, non-Nav vehicles do not have a 'touch' screen.

Originally Posted by speedracerg35
i cannot see any aftermarket unit coming out any time soon for the reasons callaway gave. unless aftermarket nav makers can come up with a plug and play unit that can interface climate control and radio, trip computer etc., it is not a viable option.

also, i can almost guarantee that a dealership would not touch a factory nav swap with a ten foot pole.
For $100/hour they'll touch it all night long!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:50 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I talked to a customer at the dealership who wanted to do the same thing and he said they told him around $6K to do it. They told him the harness in the back is different between the navi and non-navi units (i thought it would be the same). Plus you'd have to get work done on your steering wheel to accomodate the bluetooth and voice buttons. Plus it'd be a ****load of labor costs. It's just too much work for something that should've just been purchased in the first place. You're much better off going aftermarket at this point.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 PM
raptorius

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
I talked to a customer at the dealership who wanted to do the same thing and he said they told him around $6K to do it. They told him the harness in the back is different between the navi and non-navi units (i thought it would be the same). Plus you'd have to get work done on your steering wheel to accomodate the bluetooth and voice buttons. Plus it'd be a ****load of labor costs. It's just too much work for something that should've just been purchased in the first place. You're much better off going aftermarket at this point.
Not to mention all the buttons and the area underneath the screen, that would have to be all redone as its diff. between nav and non-nav cars. At this point, if you just need a navigation for navigating, get a portable one. Cheapest and easiest solution out there. That or just taking a hit on your car's value and buying/lease another G with nav
Old 03-02-2008, 02:34 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea i think if your gonna add... do the OEM nav..
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
the only reason i didnt get nav is because i want a 6 disc changer and a dvd/ tv tuner based system.... id rather have that than climate control buttons, to each his own though.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Umm, regardless of whether you get nav or not, the temp control buttons are the same. The temp info and status is still displayed in the main screen. So regardless of whether you have factory nav or not, my question still stands. How do you integrate an aftermarket screen to show the temp displays?