Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Invisible Mobile Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:11 PM
ukoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible Mobile Radio Installation

I am an Amateur Radio operator (Ham). Living in the Yukon where cell coverage is only available in 11 communities and within 5 minutes of driving outside of any of them it no longer works, having an alternative communication system is very important.

When I purchased my G37 I wanted to install a radio system in the car, but I didn't want to 'mess' with the style or lines of the car - you can imagine the look a 6' whip would add! Through some research I came across an interesting antenna design by US Communications. They custom make invisible bumper and license plate antennas for various applications - including the dual band (2m/70cm) version that I ordered from them (http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/). On hand already was an Icom IC-208H dual band radio whose key feature for this application is an exceptionally small remote face plate.

The antenna when ordered can be specified for a front and rear license plate attachment, front or rear only, or just wires in the bumper (no attachment to the license plate). In my case, it was configured with a rear license plate attachment (there are no front plates in the Yukon) and a wire only for the front. The wires for the front as well as the ground plane wire for the rear is installed on top of the energy absorbing material (usually some form of Styrofoam) and underneath the skin on the bumper.

Through reading several threads on this site, and having downloaded the service manual, I was ready to dive in. The install was done in three steps - the front bumper antenna install, the rear license plate antenna install, the interior radio install. A seperate post for each step follows...

Here's a picture of the car.

Last edited by ukoner; 04-21-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:13 PM
ukoner

Front Bumper Antenna Installation

Picture 01 - the front of the car with the bumper skin removed

Picture 02 - the antenna installed

Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
ukoner

Rear Bumper License Plate Antenna Installation

Picture 03 - the rear bumper skin removed - have to take the tail lights off to access all the clips.

Picture 04 - I ran the antenna wire through the grommet into the trunk - from there around the side of the trunk, behind the armrest/side panel in the back seat, then along under the sill trim to the radio location.

Picture 05 - Ground plane for the antenna - I had to dremmel a notch for the line so that the bumper skin would sit correctly.

Picture 06 - Antenna lead attached to the license plate.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:23 PM
ukoner

Interior and Radio Installation

Picture 07 - I removed the ash tray and cut out the lighter plug in there to make room for the remote face of the radio inside.

Picture 08 - Connector for the microphone was mounted in the arm rest.

Picture 09 - Radio is mounted on it's edge behind the glove box.

Picture 10 - Overview of the radio mount and wiring.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
ukoner

Finished Product

Picture 11 - The door on the ash tray still operates like before - completely hiding the radio control face.

Picture 12 - Everything back together.

Further time and experimentation is required to understand the performance of the antenna. So far, I have had no problem working the repeaters in our area – ones that I would not be able to work using the handheld inside or outside of the car. For any Ham's out there - SWR on the antenna is better than 3:1 on all the frequencies that I use – it’s 1.5:1 on the main repeater input for Whitehorse that I use the most (146.88-).

For the next project, I will look at installing a Bluetooth microphone interface to connect to the integrated Bluetooth system in the car. Then the system will be both hands and sight free!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM
bfranks

I have absolutely no use for a HAM setup like that. But I'll give you props for a nice clean install Much nicer then a whip antenna.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
vINCe_Inc

WOW. congrats on your purchase. i though there was waaaaay too much snow up there to even drive a sports car.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by ukoner
Finished Product

Picture 11 - The door on the ash tray still operates like before - completely hiding the radio control face.

Picture 12 - Everything back together.

Further time and experimentation is required to understand the performance of the antenna. So far, I have had no problem working the repeaters in our area – ones that I would not be able to work using the handheld inside or outside of the car. For any Ham's out there - SWR on the antenna is better than 3:1 on all the frequencies that I use – it’s 1.5:1 on the main repeater input for Whitehorse that I use the most (146.88-).

For the next project, I will look at installing a Bluetooth microphone interface to connect to the integrated Bluetooth system in the car. Then the system will be both hands and sight free!
Good clean stealth install! Didn't even know they had Infiniti dealers up there! I'm sure it's quite gorgeous though. If you don't mind, how do you connect on the net? What about a satellite phone for communication?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice job!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats
Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nice job and nice winter rims I like them better than mine. Did you get your car from Erickson infinity?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 AM
ukoner

Originally Posted by shumby
nice job and nice winter rims I like them better than mine. Did you get your car from Erickson infinity?
Yes, I had them ship it to me from Edmonton. I am quite happy with the winter rim look as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 AM
ukoner

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Good clean stealth install! Didn't even know they had Infiniti dealers up there! I'm sure it's quite gorgeous though. If you don't mind, how do you connect on the net? What about a satellite phone for communication?
Both DSL and cable available in Whitehorse for net connection - though they both end up on the same pipe out of the territory. Satellite phone is good for emergencies, but you would have to stop and get out to use it. The satellite radio service is spotty because any geostationary satellites are quite low on the horizon.

I have been a 'ham' for many years. My wife also recently got her license (it's her call sign that's on the plates - my call is on our truck) so having the radio in the car is quite handy for day to day quick communications (like "I'm just arriving outside your office to pick you up...")

There is no local Infiniti dealer, but the Nissan dealer can look after any warranty issues (there are a handfull of Infiniti's around - a few G35's, and a FX that I have seen).

Not everyone would appreciate living up here, but I love it. There is something special about having more area than California but with only about 30,000 people total.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 AM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by ukoner
Both DSL and cable available in Whitehorse for net connection - though they both end up on the same pipe out of the territory. Satellite phone is good for emergencies, but you would have to stop and get out to use it. The satellite radio service is spotty because any geostationary satellites are quite low on the horizon.

I have been a 'ham' for many years. My wife also recently got her license (it's her call sign that's on the plates - my call is on our truck) so having the radio in the car is quite handy for day to day quick communications (like "I'm just arriving outside your office to pick you up...")

There is no local Infiniti dealer, but the Nissan dealer can look after any warranty issues (there are a handfull of Infiniti's around - a few G35's, and a FX that I have seen).

Not everyone would appreciate living up here, but I love it. There is something special about having more area than California but with only about 30,000 people total.
Are you an Eskimo?! J/K Well, more power too you. I have grown up in NJ and I HATE the cold! I get down to south Florida any chance I can! Trying to lure my wife and kids permanently down there, but difficult as she is a native Romanian and loves the cold! Brrrrrr
Old 02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Het ukoner you was it you that got the splash guards ordered from erickson and shi pped up to you? Because they are telling me they are not available.

Quick Reply: Invisible Mobile Radio Installation