Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where to draw the signal from for the sub?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 AM
Dieseldoug22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have an amp with a built in hi/lo converter like a JL audio 500/1 use connector B43 (going into the woofer amp) and use wires 8 and 9. 8 is Sky Blue and is your positive and 9 is Violet and is your negative.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldoug22
If you have an amp with a built in hi/lo converter like a JL audio 500/1 use connector B43 (going into the woofer amp) and use wires 8 and 9. 8 is Sky Blue and is your positive and 9 is Violet and is your negative.
dats what i have...JL 500/1 v2

so i only have to splice 2 wires?
i thought it was 4? right pos and neg...and left pos and neg
Old 05-03-2009, 09:15 PM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this thread I've come to two conclusions.

1. If your amp has a HI-LO converter in it you need to tap in to wires 8 and 9 on connector b43. You can do this by soldering on a couple of RCA jacks and running them to your amp. And this is the signal coming straight from the headunit before the amp so it's the cleanest signal possible.

2. If you don't have an amp with a built in HI-LO converter you need to install that in to the RIGHT-REAR and LEFT-REAR speakers and then run all 4 RCA's in to your amp.

Am I missing something here? This will be the first time I've dealt with a car with a factory installed system. Everything else I've worked on has had the base model system so it was pretty dang easy to hook everything up.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Kitman

hi!
i just got my 09 g37coupe with premium and nav package last friday.
i have two jl w3v3 and a 500/1 jl amp that i would like to install this weekend and i'm wondering if the file attached earlier in the thread applies to the 09 or is it just for the 08?
if anyone has any pics it will be awesome!!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
cullan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuickSilver08
After reading this thread I've come to two conclusions.

1. If your amp has a HI-LO converter in it you need to tap in to wires 8 and 9 on connector b43. You can do this by soldering on a couple of RCA jacks and running them to your amp. And this is the signal coming straight from the headunit before the amp so it's the cleanest signal possible.

2. If you don't have an amp with a built in HI-LO converter you need to install that in to the RIGHT-REAR and LEFT-REAR speakers and then run all 4 RCA's in to your amp.

Am I missing something here? This will be the first time I've dealt with a car with a factory installed system. Everything else I've worked on has had the base model system so it was pretty dang easy to hook everything up.

You do not need a high to low convertor at all.

The signal coming from the head unit is a low level signal. This is what most amps are looking for.

A high to low convertor would be necessary if you did not have the low level singal from the head unit. We are lucky that ours has that.... because that would be the end result of converting from high to low.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by Kitman
hi!
i just got my 09 g37coupe with premium and nav package last friday.
i have two jl w3v3 and a 500/1 jl amp that i would like to install this weekend and i'm wondering if the file attached earlier in the thread applies to the 09 or is it just for the 08?
if anyone has any pics it will be awesome!!
My assumption is that it hasn't changed at all. Not positive, but it wouldn't make sense that it be any different.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cullan
My assumption is that it hasn't changed at all. Not positive, but it wouldn't make sense that it be any different.
be careful. the G35 Coupe's wiring colors changed from 04 to 05 or 05 to 06, i can't remember which.

being this early in the model years for the 37, however, would lead me to believe that the signals will be identical.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by finagle69
be careful. the G35 Coupe's wiring colors changed from 04 to 05 or 05 to 06, i can't remember which.

being this early in the model years for the 37, however, would lead me to believe that the signals will be identical.
Good point. The wire colors could change, but I would imagine the pin configuration on the amp plug should stay the same.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Kitman

hi guys!i couldn't wait until this weekend so i started my install today, but i can't find the remote, I'm trying connector b43 wire 3 but i just can't get the amp to turn on

any ideas!!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
that's the correct connector and correct wire. and the JL doesn't require a large voltage from that wire to turn on. double check all your connections.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Kitman

i got it!!!!!
thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Sorry to bump back an old thread, but I have a question after researching these threads. I have a Solobaric sub and Alpine mono amp which accepts both RCA and speaker level inputs. Which should I use, is there a difference in sound quality?

If I use the speaker level inputs, do I splice from wires 8 and 9 than run between the factory Bose and Sub amp?

If I use the RCA input, do I need to splice wires before the Bose amp?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
cullan

I would use the line level (RCA) input. I would take the signal before it gets to the Bose amp.

Not sure if you are planning on having a remote level adjustment or not... I would. The JL Audio CL-RLC is a quality component for the price.

If not then I would say to use the rear set of line level so that you could fade from center to front in order to cut the bass if you desired.

Using the speaker level inputs would mean that you are taking the signal after the Bose amp has done some filtering to it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R & L RCAs = 4 wires total. Bose wires #8 & #9 = 2 wires.

Is it ok to double tap/splice into the Bose #8 & #9 wires?

I.E.:
Right RCA Pos to Bose Pos
Left RCA Pos to Bose Pos
Right RCA Neg to Bose Neg
Left RCA Neg to Bose Neg

Will this distort the sound at all or is this perfectly fine? Thanks ahead.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
cullan

Originally Posted by JLai
R & L RCAs = 4 wires total. Bose wires #8 & #9 = 2 wires.

Is it ok to double tap/splice into the Bose #8 & #9 wires?

I.E.:
Right RCA Pos to Bose Pos
Left RCA Pos to Bose Pos
Right RCA Neg to Bose Neg
Left RCA Neg to Bose Neg

Will this distort the sound at all or is this perfectly fine? Thanks ahead.

I would highly recommend using the head unit output for an input into a subwoofer amp. I believe these are wires 23,24,25,26. In the audio video section there is a Bose Wiring breakdown thread. I assume your amp has a crossover on it which will do a better job of filtering the clean signal from the head unit.

You really should be able to put the left and right into you amp and have it do the summing for you.

Quick Reply: Where to draw the signal from for the sub?