Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where to draw the signal from for the sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM
SkylineEX-S

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to chime in on my first audio related post

Did you check the input voltage at the back of the 500/1 amp TomieG?
low/high?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TomieG
Hey guys i cut the wires 8 & 9 but now i dont know what to do. I have 2 rca wires. Do i wire the 8 & 9 to rca wire input for the amp? What do i do for the output? Also what did you guys use for the remote wire? Did your wiring kit come with it? I dont think mine did. Thanks guys.
U cut the 8 & 9 or tapped into it?
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
snaik69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought 8 & 9 carries a processed signal??? im confused
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The 8&9 does carry a high level signal, Tomie you have to either use a hi/low converter and go to the low input on your amp, or go into the high input if your amp has that.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:26 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iasskicker
Your wiring it series then. And you should have around 63 v of AC current, so I'm not sure what's up with that.
You can get a rough idea of the RMS being put out if you know the voltage your car runs at with the amp at full tilt, and to get that most efficiently, I suggest a stinger voltmeter.
But my best suggestion would be getting a monoblock amp if you want that sub to hit as hard as it can. Beacuse if you are running a class A/B Amplifier, you are losing a ton of power! For a 1000 watts @ 1 ohm or so I suggest this amp:Hifonics BXi1210D - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix Will do right around 1000 with efficiency and 13v (accounting for drops).

Thanks alot, thats a pretty good price.

Damn so many adjustments on the side of that amp im gonna be all lost again. lol
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
TTZ2G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a LOT of confusion in this thread now that it so long. Lots of good info though.

Anyway we can put this into one DIY or a schematic/how-to?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Haji

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
Thanks alot, thats a pretty good price.

Damn so many adjustments on the side of that amp im gonna be all lost again. lol
Nah there simple. Set the gain as usual, the phase shift leave at 0, adjust the bass eq however you like (not past 12 o'clock!), put the sub sonic on the lowest frequency you want through, the low pass on the highest frequency you want through. I have my sub sonic at about 25Hz and the low pass at around 80 Hz. I get the full ranges of bass played through the subwoofer, while not wasting energy on in audible ranges. And don't worry about the electrical in this car, I'm running the 2010, (2000 watts rms) and have no light dimming issues or anything.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Haji

Originally Posted by TTZ2G
There is a LOT of confusion in this thread now that it so long. Lots of good info though.

Let me make it simple for ya, I went through the same thing!
1. Locate the stock amplifier, which is under the plastic near the spare tire to the left side.
2. Tap into wires 23-26 with an RCA (cut one sides plugs off). What I did was is took some extra remote wire, soldered it onto the rca's 4 wires, then tapped that in so I had more slack to work with. I used quick connectors.
3. Tap in to wire 22, its the one right beside the sky blue rear speaker wire, with your remote wiring.
4. Put everything back in place and run the wires through and out on to the carpet.
*Note* If you want a fool proof 12v signal buy this PAC TR-4 (tr4) - Trigger Modules - Sonic Electronix
Connect the remote wire you just ran to the input. The rest go in the amp (ground, power, and the output goes in the remote on slot)
5. Now you need a ground. Pull up the rear seat cushion and look in the left corner for a bracket held down by 2 bolts. Remove both of them and pull the bracket up. Now attach the ring terminal UNDER the metal piece, to the bolt that is closest to the trunk. This gives you a fool proof ground, almost equivalent to a self tapping screw because you are making direct contact with the chassis.
6. Run this wire into the trunk and bam you now have a solid ground lead.
7. Now you need power, All you must do is remove the trim around the battery until the grommet is exposed. Take some scissors and cut a hole to run the power wire through, and feed it into the cabin. Seal this up with silicone.
8. Remove the trim piece inside, everything should pull right out. Theres one plastic bolt you can twist off with your hands to allow you to pull the carpet up, and from there run the wire to the trunk.
9. There hook everything up to the amp and enjoy!

Note due to confusion let me make all this clear:
1. The stock turn on voltage is 10v, thus the pac tr-4 provides a 12v out to power on any amp you want to install.
2. Wires 8&9 are high level and need to either be processed to low level by either a LOC or the amp itself. I would not recommend using these are they are processed signals that have the potential to sound distorted or even clip. Wires 23-26 are low level, and as long as you match up all the wires correctly (Left, right, positive, negative), you will be alright.

I think I've summed up all the possible problems, post back here if you have any problems or PM me!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
tfratzke

Thanks so much iasskicker, That cleared everything up for me! Much appreciated!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TTZ2G

there's been a DIY in the "DIY" section for over a year now....only differenc is that the DIY tapped into the 8&9 wires instead of the 23-26 wires
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Haji

Oh and you guys can run 2000 watts rms or so, I am with no light dimming/alt strain. Voltage drops to 13.2 at full tilt.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
snaik69

thanks iasskicker!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
snaik69

i was just at a install shop yesterday to check out their prices (for install) to see if it would be worth my aggrevation to do it myself....and one of the things the guy tried to upsell me on was a line level converter. I told him i dont need one...he insisted.
my setup: JL 250/1 and JL 10w3v3.

is he indeed trying to upsell me?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:18 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you do not need it. the JL amp has a line level converter (Hi/Low) built in. tell him this.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
snaik69

thats what i thought....i did tell the guy this but because im a noob i started doubting myself....thanks much!

Quick Reply: Where to draw the signal from for the sub?