Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where to draw the signal from for the sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:20 PM
tfratzke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downsc123
Good deal...did you order the 15 dollar CD from ebay?
No, i joined infinitihelp.com for $10/yr. Figured it would be worth it alone to get the full service manual.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Haji

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For your amp settings, I highly suggest picking up a voltmeter and setting with a test tone (50Hz is what I used). Use this guide here:SoundDomain.com: How to Set Your Amplifier's Gain Correctly

MAKE SURE you put the setting as high as you will ever use them and volume at 3/4. Max the bass **** and set the gains, this all ensure you do not clip and blow your new sub.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys i cut the wires 8 & 9 but now i dont know what to do. I have 2 rca wires. Do i wire the 8 & 9 to rca wire input for the amp? What do i do for the output? Also what did you guys use for the remote wire? Did your wiring kit come with it? I dont think mine did. Thanks guys.

Last edited by TomieG; 04-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iasskicker
MAKE SURE you put the setting as high as you will ever use them and volume at 3/4. Max the bass **** and set the gains, this all ensure you do not clip and blow your new sub.
Pretty sure its the opposite. You're supposed to turn everything down/off. You're correct about the 3/4 volume though.

Step 2...
JL Audio - Car Audio Systems
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Haji

Originally Posted by TomieG
Hey guys i cut the wires 8 & 9 but now i dont know what to do. I have 2 rca wires. Do i wire the 8 & 9 to rca wire input for the amp? What do i do for the output? Also what did you guys use for the remote wire? Did your wiring kit come with it? I dont think mine did. Thanks guys.
Wait what kind of RCA do you have?
And for the remote, I tapped the woofer turn on signal, wired it to a PAC TR-4 and then connected that to my amp. Prevents popping, and gives you a constant 12v no matter what.

Originally Posted by JLai
Pretty sure its the opposite. You're supposed to turn everything down/off. You're correct about the 3/4 volume though.

Step 2...
JL Audio - Car Audio Systems
Nah, think about it, once you turn the bass back up, or the treble and whatnot, the voltage will increase, past the point that you set it at with the DMM. This can cause clipping, especially if you are pushing a sub past rated RMS.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 PM
TomieG

Hey guys i have the amp powered up but i cant get the sub to work. I hooked up 12 gauge wire from 1 pos 1 neg from amp to sub but it doesnt work. anyone help please? i might just end up going to an audio shop
Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
did you hook up the RCAs correctly?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
STOOF

i watched that video on how to set gains and looked at the JL write up, and now im confused.

It says if youre running bridged you have to cut the ohms in half, so since im running a 2ch amp bridged with a 4ohm sub, does that mean my amp is running at 2ohms?

Cause according to the manual, my amp isnt stable below 4ohms when bridged.

And im not sure what to set my voltage to for 1000w rms.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:15 PM
Haji

TomieG: Is your sub single or dual voice coil?
Check and make sure you haven't hooked them up backwards and make sure you tapped the RCA's properly.

Stoof:
Alright so lemme start with:
Is your sub single/dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm? If dual, how do you plan on wiring it (series or parallel)?

What you should do to find the correct voltage is multiply the watts by the impedance and take the square root.
Ex. 1000 x 2 ohm then sqrt = 44.72 *this is a just an example*
And most high quality amps can take 2 ohms bridged, despite what the manual says. I would suggest for maximum efficiency to buy a monoblock amp (~80-90% D-block instead of the 50-60% from AB)
Old 04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
TomieG

Ok guys heres the breakdown:

Components: 1 JL 500/1v2 amp, 1 JL 10w6

Heres the wiring kit i used.

So i ran the power & negative and Bass **** to trunk. Grounded negative and had fuse in power cable. I tapped wires 8 & 9 before they go into the stock amp and wired them to an rca along with the wires going back into the stock harness. I wired (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) then plugged that into the "input" on the JL amp.

For the subs i had 12 gauge wire running from the JL amp to the subs.

Now my stock subs dont work and my JL sub wont work. Amp powers up though. HELP!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
JLai

Nah, think about it, once you turn the bass back up, or the treble and whatnot, the voltage will increase, past the point that you set it at with the DMM. This can cause clipping, especially if you are pushing a sub past rated RMS.
I'm pretty sure you want to set your gain devoid of other confounding factors and EQ. That's why you turn everything off. I did it JL Audio's recommended way and have no clipping, even at volume maxed out.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
JLai

Originally Posted by TomieG
So i ran the power & negative and Bass **** to trunk. Grounded negative and had fuse in power cable. I tapped wires 8 & 9 before they go into the stock amp and wired them to an rca along with the wires going back into the stock harness. I wired (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) then plugged that into the "input" on the JL amp.

For the subs i had 12 gauge wire running from the JL amp to the subs.

Now my stock subs dont work and my JL sub wont work. Amp powers up though. HELP!
Use a voltmeter to check for continuity for all your wiring. You'll find your problem in no time. Also, don't forget to turn EQ back on.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:17 AM
STOOF

TomieG: Is your sub single or dual voice coil?
Check and make sure you haven't hooked them up backwards and make sure you tapped the RCA's properly.

Stoof:
Alright so lemme start with:
Is your sub single/dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm? If dual, how do you plan on wiring it (series or parallel)?

What you should do to find the correct voltage is multiply the watts by the impedance and take the square root.
Ex. 1000 x 2 ohm then sqrt = 44.72 *this is a just an example*
And most high quality amps can take 2 ohms bridged, despite what the manual says. I would suggest for maximum efficiency to buy a monoblock amp (~80-90% D-block instead of the 50-60% from AB)
My sub is a dual voice coil 2 ohm, i wired it to make it 4 ohm, not sure if thats series or parallel i forget. lol

My amp puts out 1000w @ 4ohms bridged. With the bass boost off and gain 100% i only get like 39v. Also, thats with the HU bass 100%, bass **** 100%, and volume 75%.

IDK it sounds good but for 1000w RMS, it just doesnt seem like its hitting THAT hard.

Is there a way i can test how many watts my amp is really putting out?

haha i used to be really good at this stuff, i got an A+ in DC Electrical Circuits in college, i just forgot most of it hhaa
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Haji

Your wiring it series then. And you should have around 63 v of AC current, so I'm not sure what's up with that.
You can get a rough idea of the RMS being put out if you know the voltage your car runs at with the amp at full tilt, and to get that most efficiently, I suggest a stinger voltmeter.
But my best suggestion would be getting a monoblock amp if you want that sub to hit as hard as it can. Beacuse if you are running a class A/B Amplifier, you are losing a ton of power! For a 1000 watts @ 1 ohm or so I suggest this amp:Hifonics BXi1210D - Monoblock Car Amplifier, Power Amp - Sonic Electronix Will do right around 1000 with efficiency and 13v (accounting for drops).
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Haji

TomieG, did you set the signal at high input? You probably have it on low......

Quick Reply: Where to draw the signal from for the sub?