Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Where can i get this ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
rathauneek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plan is to create a harness with a male and female connector on the ends that plugs in between the factory wiring run and the device. All wires are straight pass through except the two that go to the switch.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
IMHO going through all of that is really unnecessary and a waste of time.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
netmag

It's really just extending the factory harness and then working on the extension piece instead of working directly on the factory wiring.

It's probably the more prudent approach if you think you'll ever need to put things back to factory (i.e. you mess something up and have to take it to the dealer or maybe you have an unrelated head unit or nav issue arise that could be fixed under warranty and you don't want to risk getting a hassle about it)

Depends on how much the pass thru harness cost. If it wasn't too expensive it might be worth it. I know I would never cut any factory wiring on a new car at least not in that area of the vehicle. The repairs for any of the stuff in that area would just be too expensive if not covered by warranty. Also, a dealer would be well within their rights if they decided not to be cool about it and refused to fix an issue related to that area under warranty (even if the issue didn't appear to be directly related to the changes you made).
Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
rathauneek

Originally Posted by netmag
It's really just extending the factory harness and then working on the extension piece instead of working directly on the factory wiring.

It's probably the more prudent approach if you think you'll ever need to put things back to factory (i.e. you mess something up and have to take it to the dealer or maybe you have an unrelated head unit or nav issue arise that could be fixed under warranty and you don't want to risk getting a hassle about it)

Depends on how much the pass thru harness cost. If it wasn't too expensive it might be worth it. I know I would never cut any factory wiring on a new car at least not in that area of the vehicle. The repairs for any of the stuff in that area would just be too expensive if not covered by warranty. Also, a dealer would be well within their rights if they decided not to be cool about it and refused to fix an issue related to that area under warranty (even if the issue didn't appear to be directly related to the changes you made).
I couldn't have said it any better. I just don't feel comfortable cutting wires on a $50,000 car (M35).