Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Voice Recognition Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:29 PM
SantiagoDraco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xdram
If you get an attitude it doesn't understand your command. When I first got the car I’d forget about that step and said in an annoyed voice DIAL! Nothing. I think it asks again after a while so once I repeated it nicely it accepted my command. The car’s got personality lol.
You just have to keep beating it into submission. Eventually it will stop fighting back!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
pdroth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new owner of a G37... found this forum and thread due to some frustration with the car/dealer.

So, I have a call into my service mgr and he's supposed to call me back Monday. Has anyone had any luck getting the "old" voice commands put back into the car?? I hate to say it, but this system sucks without all the goodies they took out. Totally not impressed.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
bdlhome

Having played (coded) with voice recognition software in the past I can only think they removed the commands to improve the reliability of the recognition. The most basic example would be a system that is only expecting a “Yes” or “No”, the chances of the software correctly identifying the response is very high because it doesn’t have to really recognize the response just decide whether it is closer to “Yes” or “No”. So basically the more commands that are valid at a given point the more unreliable the recognition gets. Many find voice recognition systems that fail to correctly interpret commands very frustrating and have given cars and navigation systems poor reviews because of it. So maybe Infiniti played safe and would rather the car get the commands correct more often albeit on a reduced commands set than have complaints from customers that their cars don't understand them. Of course this is coming from someone who collected their G37S MT6 on Friday so I will be interested to hear what others find out about loading the previous version of the software.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yeah but they dumbed it down waaay too much. They could have left a few more of the commands on it and still made it reliable- especially the temp commands, the radio tune and a couple more of the navi commands.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:01 PM
fkat
Registered Member

And if they coded to have a dual mode why did they reduce the command list in the alternate mode? In software you don't make things backward compatible. Otherwise there is hell to pay later.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
pdroth

I would think at this point that if anyone really wants the old feature set that it will take a lot of pressure placed on the individual dealerships to let Infiniti/Nissan know that this was unacceptable. Only then can I imagine them doing right by all of us and "downgrading" us back to the better software.

I already have my call in to the dealer and have told them I want what I paid for. We'll see what they can do.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Atlanta37

Originally Posted by mal_TX
What?!

The current G37 US-spec build doesn't support voicetag dialing ("Phonebook James")?

Wow. I'm shocked. That's ridiculous. If you have 30 people in your phonebook, how do you dial the 28th person? Do you say phonebook, then the voicetag, then dial? How does it work?

Yep, that's exactly what you do. Three steps. First say "Phonebook." Then smoke a cigarette, wait. Then, "My Momma." Then smoke another, wait. Then "Dial." It's a tad bit slower than using a rotary dial phone from the WWII era. Which, now that I think about it, might actually be a well-hidden jab at us from Tokyo. Notice the Canadian's didn't get the same treatment?

Pretty ridiculous. I can't see the benefit of that "upgrade" to the VRS.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

They can't re-install the old voice recognition commands. I have spent hours and hours arguing with ICA and my dealership about it. I am now filing a complaint with the BBB, since I ordered a car that I thought was coming with the full list of voice commands. Infiniti and the dealerships will do nothing for you.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 AM
mal_TX

Originally Posted by Atlanta37
Yep, that's exactly what you do. Three steps. First say "Phonebook." Then smoke a cigarette, wait. Then, "My Momma." Then smoke another, wait. Then "Dial." It's a tad bit slower than using a rotary dial phone from the WWII era. Which, now that I think about it, might actually be a well-hidden jab at us from Tokyo. Notice the Canadian's didn't get the same treatment?

Pretty ridiculous. I can't see the benefit of that "upgrade" to the VRS.

WTF? My 06 G35 Coupe and my wife's FX35 both had/have voicetag-based dailing. In my 06 coupe it was "Dial My Momma"..."Dialing, My Momma"..."ring." In the FX it is the same. In my G37 it is "Phonebook My Momma"... "Dialing My Momma"... "ring."

So you're saying it is now less functional than the previous generation bluetooth? Whew I'm glad I bought early! Oh well, at least I'm guessing you guys didn't get bullied into paying MSRP.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
pdroth

I've filed a case with Infiniti - told them I want the $$ back I paid for these options. Considering I have a lease and these options added over $150/ month to my payment I'm a little upset, especially because I pay for them in full over the 39 months - I pay the whole thing and not the 40% like the car.

I suggest everyone else who is upset calls in as well. Maybe, just maybe, they will fix this and make it right.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM
bdlhome

Originally Posted by pdroth
I've filed a case with Infiniti - told them I want the $$ back I paid for these options. Considering I have a lease and these options added over $150/ month to my payment I'm a little upset, especially because I pay for them in full over the 39 months - I pay the whole thing and not the 40% like the car.

I suggest everyone else who is upset calls in as well. Maybe, just maybe, they will fix this and make it right.
I not sure I understand the paying in full for these options on a lease. The Nav and premium packages are factory options and considered as part of the total MSRP costs that the residual is applied to. Was the car leased through Nissan finance or someone else? I know that some financial institutions are capping the total cost but that is not the case with Infiniti/Nissan.

The U01 Navigation Package has an MSRP of 2,200 and invoice of 1,896.
The P01 Premium Package has an MSRP of 3,200 and invoice of 2,757.

Using the Feb lease rates for 39 months (MF .00205 and 62% residual and NJ tax at 7%)
Nav package would have a lease costs of 30.75/month at MSRP and 21.75/month at Invoice.
The Premium package would have a lease costs of 44.73/month at MSRP and 31.61/month at Invoice

So $75/Month if you paid MSRP for the car and $53 if you negotiated invoice.

Don’t get me wrong I hope they offer some compensation or to reinstate the functionality but on my lease (24 months) I know those options only added $47/month to my lease and I would have actaully felt worse if I had purchased the car.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
pdroth

My total lease pmt is $491. I live in NYC (8.375% tax). The same car without the nav/prem pkg (can't get nav w/o premium) was I think $349 or so.

I didn't negotiate the price of the car. (I wanted it, I could afford it, so I bought it.) But I didn't pay MSRP though - the guy wanted my business because I work for a large hedge fund and told him that there were a few referrals coming his way if he did the right thing for me.

I honestly don't remember the details - I just wanted the car with all the toys in it. It seemed like a good deal, and I still think it is - EXCEPT for the change in the voice recognition. That makes these options pretty useless to me, unless I do everything while at a dead stop.

Not blaming the dealer - but he really should have told me about this prior to purchase.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM
3des

I have a case on file with both ICA and the BBB for this issue. Anyone who has been ripped off by this "upgrade" really needs to file a complaint. After talking to both organizations they make it sound like they've had a few complaints but not a ton. Complaints should be pouring in...
Old 02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Faxing in my paperwork to the BBB tomorrow- let the fun begin!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM
pdroth

I'm going to go the BBB route as well.

ICA called me back and offered me a $150 service credit towards future oil changes, etc. What an insult.

I called my dealership manager and told him the QX56 purchase is on hold indefinitely unless he can make things right.

Quick Reply: Voice Recognition Disappointment