Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius in 08 G37 Works.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:20 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be really interested in seeing someone utilize the existing antenna. The antenna looks fine in the back window, but theres no way reception will be as good as a roof mounted antenna. Hopefully someone figures out a solution to tap into the existing antenna.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 AM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by bfranks
Several guys on the myg35 forums have done it with no issues. Not having Nav should actually make it easier for you since you are actually replacing an external receiver instead of using a legacy cable and having it over-ride the internal receiver.

One thing that will be interesting is to see if you can use the stock XM antenna. I've used XM antennas on Sirius before, but I've seen posts saying both yay and nay for the G's XM antenna.

Worst case scenario, the guys at Grubbs are really good about returns. When I originally wanted to return the unit, they were going to cover return shipping (sent me a prepaid FedEx label) and not charge me any restocking fee.
Thanks for the info. I actually purchase my car from Grubbs Infiniti and were told by the manager of the Parts Department that there is currently no way to have Sirius installed in the car. They said they had in fact that morning, spoke to a Sirius rep and it was also confirmed. But, it appears from this thread that isn't the case.

I installed a Sirius receiver in my G35 so I'm familiar with the process. I'm just concerned about how a Sirius receiver will work with the in-dash screen of the G37 (without Nav). If the Sirius station, artist, etc. info doesn't display on the screen, I'd rather not purchase it until there's a conversion kit.

I'm just looking for someone to confirm it works on a G37 without Nav.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
ohseedee
Registered Member

I've decided to wait and see what things look like in a post Sirius/XM merger world (assuming the merger goes through) before I convert to Sirius. Maybe we will get the good Sirius music on XM equipment, or maybe we will have new radios available that are capable of the new a-la-cart channel selection. The decision should be coming in a matter of weeks. If things don't work out I'll try this solution this summer...I just don't want to waste money on something when a better solution maybe around the corner.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
this merger has been mired in b.s. by members in congress who owe favors to clearchannel. i woudn't hold my breath on a quick decision on this matter.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:08 AM
bfranks

Originally Posted by ohseedee
I've decided to wait and see what things look like in a post Sirius/XM merger world (assuming the merger goes through) before I convert to Sirius. Maybe we will get the good Sirius music on XM equipment, or maybe we will have new radios available that are capable of the new a-la-cart channel selection. The decision should be coming in a matter of weeks. If things don't work out I'll try this solution this summer...I just don't want to waste money on something when a better solution maybe around the corner.

As stated on the siriusmerger.com and xmmerger.com websites, the CEOs announced that all current radios would continue to be able to pick up the service they were designed for (sirius will get sirius, and xm will get xm), but that to get the ala carte services (mixed Sirius and XM) you would have to buy new radios that won't even be designed until the merger is approved.

And FYI, both companies just recently announced that they were extending their merger agreement another 2 months in anticipation of further delays.

So if you want Sirius, sadly the only option is a receiver swap.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 AM
delfin2003
Registered Member

guys, so anybody has the signal blocked by Huper window tint?Please read my last post..I need a solution if anybody has any..Thanks all
Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
TXG37S

For those of you who don't have NAV... I spoke to someone in the parts department of Grubbs this morning. He confirmed that adding the Sirius receiver will work and the info will display on the screen. However, the CD player will no longer function.

He said that Grubbs has talked to Infiniti and Sirius and they both say that a Sirius receiver will not work in the G37 but clearly it has been proved otherwise.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by delfin2003
guys, so anybody has the signal blocked by Huper window tint?Please read my last post..I need a solution if anybody has any..Thanks all
I have the same type of material on the windows of my house (different brand, same concept), and I have all kinds of issues with not only Sirius reception, but cell phone too.

About the only options left are to mount the antenna on the dash (would not be my first choice), or to mount it on the roof. It's really not that hard to do. On my 05 G, I went through the rubber boot connected to the trunk lid, then run it under the weather striping along the side of the rear window, and up to the roof.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by TXG37S
For those of you who don't have NAV... I spoke to someone in the parts department of Grubbs this morning. He confirmed that adding the Sirius receiver will work and the info will display on the screen. However, the CD player will no longer function.

He said that Grubbs has talked to Infiniti and Sirius and they both say that a Sirius receiver will not work in the G37 but clearly it has been proved otherwise.
Ok.....seems they are still confused. I had sent all the info on how to do it to one of their parts reps (Buckly Shultz I believe?) after they told me it couldn't be done. The info I sent them was for a G35, which is why they are telling people the CD player will no longer work. On the G35 with Nav they use the wiring harness to connect to a 6 disk changer in the trunk. So when you use this harness, obviously you lose the use of the changer. In the G37 with Nav, there is no changer so the harness is just laying there. In both the G35 and G37 without nav, you just swap out the XM receiver for the Sirius receiver. An all cases, the indash cd player (1 disk or 6 disk) will continue to function.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by bfranks
Ok.....seems they are still confused. I had sent all the info on how to do it to one of their parts reps (Buckly Shultz I believe?) after they told me it couldn't be done. The info I sent them was for a G35, which is why they are telling people the CD player will no longer work. On the G35 with Nav they use the wiring harness to connect to a 6 disk changer in the trunk. So when you use this harness, obviously you lose the use of the changer. In the G37 with Nav, there is no changer so the harness is just laying there. In both the G35 and G37 without nav, you just swap out the XM receiver for the Sirius receiver. An all cases, the indash cd player (1 disk or 6 disk) will continue to function.
I spoke to the same parts guy! He did say that a person on one of the forums had emailed him with the results/info. I guess he read it wrong to me. Nice guy though. Thank you for the clarification!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

for those of you with NAV, what's that other box in the trunk that the wires go to?XM?Did anybody try disconnecting and pluggin in Sirius receiver?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:59 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by delfin2003
for those of you with NAV, what's that other box in the trunk that the wires go to?XM?Did anybody try disconnecting and pluggin in Sirius receiver?
If you are talking about the bottom of the trunk (right side), then it's the camera control unit. I wouldn't suggest trying to plug into that harness The XM receiver on Nav cars is built into the main AV Controller in the dash.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 AM
JohnAgan

I am so glad I found this thread! I've got a 2006 M35 (with sirius) and was about to turn it in for an 08' G35 (w/ nav), but when I found out I couldn't get sirius, I was on the fence. It's almost a deal killer for me.

Now I see that it's simply $200 and no disc-changer (I would never use this anyways), I'm going for it!

Thanks for all the info!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:25 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
this merger has been mired in b.s. by members in congress who owe favors to clearchannel. i woudn't hold my breath on a quick decision on this matter.
The Justice Department has approved a merger between Sirius Satellite Radio and rival XM Satellite Radio.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by TXG37S
The Justice Department has approved a merger between Sirius Satellite Radio and rival XM Satellite Radio.
FCC still has to sign off on the deal. Hopefully this will speed things up a bit though.

Quick Reply: Sirius in 08 G37 Works.