Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius in 08 G37 Works.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM
bfranks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are from a G35. They aren't the best pictures, but they might give you a better idea of what to look for.

Edit: Just to clarify....the receiver picture is the Sirius receiver after it was installed.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius in 08 G37 Works.-receiver.jpg   Sirius in 08 G37 Works.-connector.jpg   Sirius in 08 G37 Works.-g37_sat_connector.jpg  

Last edited by bfranks; 03-04-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM
mcp202

I rec'd the parts from Grubbs and I have not been able to locate the receiver. Can anyone take a pic or post the exact location of where I can find the receiver? I don't wanna tear apart the entire trunk area if I do not have to.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:10 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by mcp202
I rec'd the parts from Grubbs and I have not been able to locate the receiver. Can anyone take a pic or post the exact location of where I can find the receiver? I don't wanna tear apart the entire trunk area if I do not have to.

Thanks.

If you have Nav, then there is no receiver. It's built into the main AV controller. What you are looking for is a loose connector somewhere around the camera control unit (right side trunk floor).

Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow this is great news, I've got my starmate hacked in my center console. Is this the correct unit?

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=2905
Old 03-04-2008, 04:16 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by COUPE-DADDY
Wow this is great news, I've got my starmate hacked in my center console. Is this the correct unit?

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=2905
That's the one I used.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
mcp202

Originally Posted by bfranks
If you have Nav, then there is no receiver. It's built into the main AV controller. What you are looking for is a loose connector somewhere around the camera control unit (right side trunk floor).

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I think I found it. Had to use a flash light and a mirror. Saw the tape w/ what looks like an extra connector. In the g37 it appears you have to remove the right side area of the donut assembly? Does not look like it will be difficult.

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as the receiver is built into the G37 with nav for XM and we're simply adding new hardware into a spare socket to get Sirius, does this mean XM still works?

Is it possible to have both at the same time and just switch between the inputs somehow?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 AM
bfranks

Originally Posted by marsb007
as the receiver is built into the G37 with nav for XM and we're simply adding new hardware into a spare socket to get Sirius, does this mean XM still works?

Is it possible to have both at the same time and just switch between the inputs somehow?
The XM traffic still works, so it's still seeing the signal. The external tuner is just over-riding the internal tuner. It should be a simple matter of killing the power to / or signal from the external receiver via toggle switch or such to allow the XM to play again. I thought about trying it, but to be honest I don't like XM enough to bother. I'll post a pin out of the connector if anyone is interested in trying.
Attached Thumbnails Sirius in 08 G37 Works.-sat_radio_pinout.jpg  

Last edited by bfranks; 03-05-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bfranks
The XM traffic still works, so it's still seeing the signal. The external tuner is just over-riding the internal tuner. It should be a simple matter of killing the power to / or signal from the external receiver via toggle switch or such to allow the XM to play again. I thought about trying it, but to be honest I don't like XM enough to bother. I'll post a pin out of the connector if anyone is interested in trying.
That's what I thought...

I really dont mind XM. For $77 for the first year you can't really beat it. I really don't listen to Howard or football on Sirius, so for me it's a wash as far as a preference... Chances are I'll stick to XM, just wanted to see whether the dual tuner was possible...
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by marsb007
That's what I thought...

I really dont mind XM. For $77 for the first year you can't really beat it. I really don't listen to Howard or football on Sirius, so for me it's a wash as far as a preference... Chances are I'll stick to XM, just wanted to see whether the dual tuner was possible...
Yeah....at $77 for a year I was tempted. Originally I had an external radio with Sirius hooked through the RCA inputs, and XM through the factory HU. But after a week running like that I noticed that I was listening to Sirius the majority of the time.

Let me know if it works though. My daughter liked XM better, so I might change my mind down the road.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

just bought a inv2 car kit from circuit city for $20!!That's 50% off original price. Includes the antenna. Much cheaper than grubbs $60 one
Old 03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
iko

So now that a few people have done this mod, any other comments on coverage. How frequent are dropouts?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

guys, I have installed the radio, but I am running into some problems. When I try to switch a channel, it does not respond, until I hit the button twice. Sometimes I need to hit it 3 times to switch a channel. Anybody esle has this issue?Radio is not activated yet, might that be the problem?And sometimes it responds when I hit up or down button once..weird, this bothers me a lot
Old 03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
iko

Originally Posted by delfin2003
guys, I have installed the radio, but I am running into some problems. When I try to switch a channel, it does not respond, until I hit the button twice. Sometimes I need to hit it 3 times to switch a channel. Anybody esle has this issue?Radio is not activated yet, might that be the problem?And sometimes it responds when I hit up or down button once..weird, this bothers me a lot
uh oh.

could your connection be loose, perhaps?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

I'll double check tomorrow, but the antenna works just fine, I tested it in my other vehicle, full bars. I'd like to get some feedback from users using this mod in their 37s with navs

Quick Reply: Sirius in 08 G37 Works.