Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius in 08 G37 Works.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:36 PM
akochman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank you for the info... do you think that in the future there will be any way to swap the XM for Sirius for those of us with Nav?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
TXG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the swap, does the Sirius info/text display on the screen? I was told my people at the Grubbs parts department that it does not and I was told by the good folks at Sirius that they do not have a converter for it.

So, PLEASE tell me if you were able to get the Sirius info to display on the screen.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:22 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by akochman
thank you for the info... do you think that in the future there will be any way to swap the XM for Sirius for those of us with Nav?
Seeing as it's built into the AV controller, I seriously doubt it.

Looks like I'll be mounting a radio on my windshield / console. If I can get it mounted in a decent location, and run it to the RCA inputs, it shouldn't be too bad......
Old 02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
kmare

well whats wierd is Bullit says that XM NavTraffic still works,which implies he has navigation and the 2 connectors (XM Navtraffic would only be relevant if you had Navigation no?)
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kmare
well whats wierd is Bullit says that XM NavTraffic still works,which implies he has navigation and the 2 connectors (XM Navtraffic would only be relevant if you had Navigation no?)
There can't be two connectors for Sat.. In fact, he said "as far as he can tell.." which doesn't guarantee it actually did work.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM
bfranks

It does imply that he has Nav and got this to work though. Just to be sure I checked the G37 service manual to make sure there weren't any differences between it and the G35, and there aren't. The sat radio antenna goes directly to the AV Control Unit, so there is no receiver to swap out. So quite a few things the OP said don't add up......
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by bfranks
It seems that for those with the navigation package, the sat receiver is built into the main AV control unit. There is no way to swap it out. I tore apart half my car trying to trace down the antenna cable after I couldn't find the receiver in the trunk. So today's tip: Read the service manual before starting any projects

It looks to be a fairly easy swap for those without the nav package. However it does only show one connection in the service manual, so you will lose XM traffic if you replace the receiver (confirmed by Grubbs).
Maybe I am retarded, but if this swap is feasible for people WITHOUT the nav package, how would they be losing XM traffic since they have no nav?!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 AM
bfranks

Originally Posted by dillyyo
Maybe I am retarded, but if this swap is feasible for people WITHOUT the nav package, how would they be losing XM traffic since they have no nav?!
No...that was me being retarded Was still confused by the fact that the original poster said he got it to work, and that there was a "spare" connector that he used so the nav traffic still worked......
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Bullitt

The XM traffic still does work.

This is really a simple mod. You remove the trunk trim to the right of the spare tire. The sattelite (XM) reciever is plugged in. About 8" away towards the rear of the car is another connector taped up. Untape it, plug in your sirius tuner from grubbs, and run the grubbs sirius antenna whereever you want it.

The onscreen display for the sirius stations does work. My car is a nav package car. I'll take pics for the non-believers.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by Bullitt
The onscreen display for the sirius stations does work. My car is a nav package car. I'll take pics for the non-believers.
Wow! The sirius stations DO display?! I was told by a Grubbs rep in November that it would not work. This is GREAT news!!

Bullitt, please tell me who you spoke to at Grubbs. Also, will you please take a picture of the display while playing Sirius.

THANKS!!
Old 02-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Bullitt

Originally Posted by TXG37S
Wow! The sirius stations DO display?! I was told by a Grubbs rep in November that it would not work. This is GREAT news!!

Bullitt, please tell me who you spoke to at Grubbs. Also, will you please take a picture of the display while playing Sirius.

THANKS!!
I didn't speak with anyone at grubbs. I just ordered the reciever and antenna and tried it.
I'll snap a pic when I get home.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
iko

With the exception of the separate antenna it sounds like a winner.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:08 PM
bfranks

This is really a simple mod. You remove the trunk trim to the right of the spare tire. The sattelite (XM) reciever is plugged in. About 8" away towards the rear of the car is another connector taped up. Untape it, plug in your sirius tuner from grubbs, and run the grubbs sirius antenna whereever you want it.

Please do take some pics. According to the service manual, the only thing on the right side of the trunk is the camera control unit. Are you sure you are seeing the XM receiver and not that?

On cars without navigation the sat receiver and TEL adapter unit are mounted in the same spot that the camera control unit is on the nav cars. I wonder if they didn't use the same wiring harness for both cars (which would explain the "extra" connector)?
Old 02-20-2008, 07:12 PM
TXG37S

I didn't speak with anyone at grubbs. I just ordered the reciever and antenna and tried it.
I'll snap a pic when I get home.
THANK YOU!! I can't wait to see the pictures.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by bfranks
Please do take some pics. According to the service manual, the only thing on the right side of the trunk is the camera control unit. Are you sure you are seeing the XM receiver and not that?
On my 2003 G35 coupe, the Sirius receiver was in the exact location that Bullitt describes.

Quick Reply: Sirius in 08 G37 Works.