Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sirius in 08 G37 Works.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:02 PM
3des

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot damn this is great news!!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:02 AM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by bfranks
Wow...took you long enough . J/K Glad it worked for you
Yeah...I know.

We've been busy working on our 1967 Nova on the weekends and it's just been flat out HOT outside. I'm having a stereo system installed in the G37 so, we figured we'd try to FINALLY install the Sirius receiver ourselves instead of paying the installer to do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by 3des
Hot damn this is great news!!
I noticed that you Navigation listed in your signature. Unfortunately, the swap won't be so simple for you from what I understand. Please read the rest of this thread to learn more.

I don't have Navigation.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:08 AM
3des

damn... It's been so long I'd forgotten.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 AM
gassedracing

Originally Posted by TXG37S
I noticed that you Navigation listed in your signature. Unfortunately, the swap won't be so simple for you from what I understand. Please read the rest of this thread to learn more.

I don't have Navigation.
I just installed Sirius (from Grubbs) into my G last weekend. It took 2 hours start to finish and MOST of the time was spent routing the antenna to a "hidden" location.

I have the Nav, and there was a nice simple plug right next to the spare tire that plugged right into the Sirius unit. I am still in shock at how simple it was to do.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
TXG37S

Originally Posted by gassedracing
I just installed Sirius (from Grubbs) into my G last weekend. It took 2 hours start to finish and MOST of the time was spent routing the antenna to a "hidden" location.

I have the Nav, and there was a nice simple plug right next to the spare tire that plugged right into the Sirius unit. I am still in shock at how simple it was to do.
That's great! I also purchased my Sirius receiver from Grubbs. For those of you without Nav, it will take less than 30 minutes to install.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
SJKelley98

I am newbie here. So if I read through all of these right, if I don't have Nav, it is really a simple process of taking out the XM receiver and putting in the Sirius one in the same spot? And the Sirius receiver I put in there works using the XM antenna mounted on the roof?

My only worry is that, according to the Infinity website, the only way my crackberry will work with the bluetooth is if I have Nav installed (Sprint 8830).

Last edited by SJKelley98; 07-03-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by SJKelley98
I am newbie here. So if I read through all of these right, if I don't have Nav, it is really a simple process of taking out the XM receiver and putting in the Sirius one in the same spot? And the Sirius receiver I put in there works using the XM antenna mounted on the roof?.
Should be the case. The only thing I'm not sure about is the antenna connection. There was a guy on g35driver that used the OEM shark fin XM antenna, but he had to solder a new connection on the end.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
SJKelley98

Thank you so much for the reply. There is a local custom car audio place here in the Tampa area I will take it to. I know NOTHING about this kinda thing. I would rather pay them a few hundred bucks to do it rather than me hose it up.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by SJKelley98
Thank you so much for the reply. There is a local custom car audio place here in the Tampa area I will take it to. I know NOTHING about this kinda thing. I would rather pay them a few hundred bucks to do it rather than me hose it up.
I can understand not wanting to do it yourself, but if they quote you a few hundred dollars please take it somewhere else. It shouldn't take them more then 30 minutes tops to install it.

And just to clarify my previous post a bit. The guy that used the factory OEM antenna had to change the connector at the antenna since he ran a new cable from the receiver to the antenna. You just need to worry about the connector at the tuner side which should either be SMB (round) or the older FAKRA style connector (square shroud over SMB connector). Either way you should be able to make it work.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
kmassey

Sirius unit overheating

Guys, I successfully installed the Nissan unit from Grubbs. I is all registered with Sirius and I am listening to Howard Stern. But here is the rub. After about 15 minutes the unit reports "No Signal" even if I mount it outside the car. I have noticed that the unit seems hot to the touch. Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM
gassedracing

My Nissan unit from Grubbs heats up as well. It must be antenna based. I lose signal if I pull into the garage, or sometimes under a bridge. But, I have my antenna tucked down behind the package shelf in the back and I would expect poor reception based on tint and location. However, when it was outside the car, all was well. My signal if fine if driving anywhere and strong except in garage and under bridges.

I would go after trying a different antenna...and making sure your connection to the unit is secure.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM
kmassey

Thanks for the peace of mind about the heat. I will get the antenna referred to earlier in this thread.

Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:55 AM

I think the lost signal has to do with the technology Sirius uses. XM uses terrestrial repeaters to eliminate most dead spots. Sirius only uses satellite broadcasts. That is why bridges/garages/covered areas interfere with Sirius but not XM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:14 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by 31337
I think the lost signal has to do with the technology Sirius uses. XM uses terrestrial repeaters to eliminate most dead spots. Sirius only uses satellite broadcasts. That is why bridges/garages/covered areas interfere with Sirius but not XM.
Sirius uses terrestrial repeaters also. And having used both, I can say (for my area at least) both XM and Sirius have issues with bridges/garages/ etc. Sirius also has the advantage of having it's sats in polar orbit instead of geostationary like XM (gives better coverage in the northern US).

Signal issues in this situation are almost certainly an equipment problem. Normally I would say to try a new antenna (and still would if you have one laying around), but if it's consistently cutting out after 15 minutes it sounds like the receiver. Grubbs was real easy to deal with when I was talking to their parts guy, so they shouldn't give you any hassle if you want to exchange it.

Quick Reply: Sirius in 08 G37 Works.