Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

LoJack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Keng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoJack worth it?

What's your opinion on LoJack?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if u live in the hood, yeahh..if not noo

also depends on garage n shytt
Old 02-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
My cost/benefit analysis said no. If you are at a significantly higher risk for theft than average though, it might be worth it to you. Base it on anywhere where you park it often. Your insurance company can give you detailed numbers on what vehicle theft and vandalism is like in you area.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:53 AM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it really depends on who lives in the area.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM
ten94skyline

i think the g comes with a vehicle immobilization system. kinda like onstar. thats what mine has anyway. look on your dealer sticker.
i showed it to the insurance company and they knocked a little off because of that feature
Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
marsb007

Do you really want your car to be found once it's stolen? If I had any say in it I'd have them chop it up or ship it to Mexico before anyone even knows its gone... this way I get a new car, but that's just me.

And yes, the vehicle comes with an immobilizer, but that's not onstar. Onstar is a completely separate system which is monitored via cell phone signals. Onstar/Lexus Link/BMW Assist, or whatever you want to call it does not immobilize your car. The operator could under certain circumstances kill the engine once the car is at a complete stop however (I think... haven't had this feature in at least a few years). The operator will also be able to find the position of the vehicle, by longitude/latitude, and send the police.

Immobilizers work with a rolling code. If the code sent by your key doesn't match the code the car has, then the switch stays off, and you don't get ignition. Works on RFID (Infiniti/Lexus/ BWM) or laser technology (a la Mercedes). Hope that clarifies it for you...

Last edited by marsb007; 02-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Immobilizers are great... unless the thief is rolling H-Town style where they just pull up to your ride with a flat bed wrecker and load it and leave within 2 minutes.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Keng

I live in decent neighborhood in SoCal, was just wondering if it's worth it if the car is stolen or for discount on the insurance.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
HER37S

I don't think I would want my car back, just strip it down and I'll get a new one
Old 02-17-2008, 08:55 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got lojack. I think it is a good thing to have plus they insure you to some extent on the amount of time it takes to get the car back and if they don't get it back. Plus you should get a decrease in your car insurance.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
LAZY TURBO

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
where do you live??
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^In Colorado Springs. There is little fear of my car being stolen where I live now but there is a good chance of me moving to Southern Cali or Arizona. The insurance deduction is nice and will add up over time though.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 AM
cartman13

Originally Posted by marsb007
Do you really want your car to be found once it's stolen? If I had any say in it I'd have them chop it up or ship it to Mexico before anyone even knows its gone... this way I get a new car, but that's just me.

And yes, the vehicle comes with an immobilizer, but that's not onstar. Onstar is a completely separate system which is monitored via cell phone signals. Onstar/Lexus Link/BMW Assist, or whatever you want to call it does not immobilize your car. The operator could under certain circumstances kill the engine once the car is at a complete stop however (I think... haven't had this feature in at least a few years). The operator will also be able to find the position of the vehicle, by longitude/latitude, and send the police.

Immobilizers work with a rolling code. If the code sent by your key doesn't match the code the car has, then the switch stays off, and you don't get ignition. Works on RFID (Infiniti/Lexus/ BWM) or laser technology (a la Mercedes). Hope that clarifies it for you...
If you lease, you are gonna get screwed out of your down. If you bought it, you will get screwed out of the tax you payed on the car. Both of them are a significant hit.

So getting your car back after it's being stolen isn't always bad.....

Also, nowadays, most car theives need to take a car and let it "cool off". Last thing you want to happen is have is the cops track lojack to your chop shop. So.... Lojack is not all that bad of a thing to have.

Find the right dealer, and they will put it on everyone of their cars anyways... i just bought an audi, refused the lowjack, but it came with it anyways, because the dealer puts it on every car they get.

Last edited by cartman13; 02-22-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 AM
marsb007

Originally Posted by cartman13
If you lease, you are gonna get screwed out of your down. If you bought it, you will get screwed out of the tax you payed on the car. Both of them are a significant hit.

So getting your car back after it's being stolen isn't always bad.....

Also, nowadays, most car theives need to take a car and let it "cool off". Last thing you want to happen is have is the cops track lojack to your chop shop. So.... Lojack is not all that bad of a thing to have.

Find the right dealer, and they will put it on everyone of their cars anyways... i just bought an audi, refused the lowjack, but it came with it anyways, because the dealer puts it on every car they get.
I didn't put any money down on the lease. No one should EVER put any money down on a lease, no matter what, for several reasons, both because of the risk of your car being stolen and also being totaled. Either way insurance will only pay for the amount you owe the bank. Any upfront costs are lost...

Hence, no matter what happens, one would lose inception costs. At a little over 1000 for inception costs, that's pretty much the price of the lojack... hence it's a wash in my eyes and I get a brand new (never stoled or screwed around with) car.

Once again, this is my take on it. Everyone is different, and if you think it's worth it, by all means go ahead and do it.

p.s. one example where it's a bad investment is having lojack on your vehicle and then trade it in or have it lemoned by the dealer after slightly under 1 year.... wasted money you can't get back!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
teh slab

Originally Posted by cartman13
I don't follow. How do you lose out on tax if your bought car is stolen? Are you saying that your insurance doesn't cover real cost of replacement? Mine does.

Quick Reply: LoJack worth it?