Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

LoJack worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:56 AM
cartman13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teh slab
I don't follow. How do you lose out on tax if your bought car is stolen? Are you saying that your insurance doesn't cover real cost of replacement? Mine does.
I haven't owned in awhile (mostly leased lately as i never seem to keep a car for more than 3 years). But back when i did own i seem to remember my agent telling me that they would just pay out bluebook value.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:45 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm guessing it depends on your area/specific language of your insurance contract...
Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 PM
bfranks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teh slab
I don't follow. How do you lose out on tax if your bought car is stolen? Are you saying that your insurance doesn't cover real cost of replacement? Mine does.
Most don't. That's why most leases include GAP insurance.....to cover what the insurance company doesn't.

What insurance do you have....if you don't mind me asking. It would be very unusual for a company to cover the full price of a new car including taxes.

Allstate started doing it.....but you have to wreck your car within the first month or so....on a Tuesday...between the hours of 1:00 and 2:00.....gotta love the fine print
Old 02-23-2008, 07:14 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bfranks
Most don't. That's why most leases include GAP insurance.....to cover what the insurance company doesn't.

What insurance do you have....if you don't mind me asking. It would be very unusual for a company to cover the full price of a new car including taxes.

Allstate started doing it.....but you have to wreck your car within the first month or so....on a Tuesday...between the hours of 1:00 and 2:00.....gotta love the fine print
Gap insurance covers the difference between the fair market value of the vehicle (which your insurance covers) and the amount owed to the financing company.

Without GAP, you would be in a situation of totaling your vehicle while you still owe more than the car is worth, essentially still paying for something you dont have...

To the best of my knowledge, should you have financed taxes and everything as such, you'd be covered. If not, and decided to pay your taxes up front, then you'd be out of luck.

Once again, best to check with your insurance company on what is/isn't covered. And to be cautious, I'd also ask them to provide you with the actual section in your policy. I have encountered plenty of agents which say something is covered when it's specifically excluded in the fine print in the policy...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Chosen37

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have lojack on my car. But I have had my car stolen twice in my life.