Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Valentine 1 Owners.....Clicky here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Carlitos_SS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shimmity_sham
I know the test you are referring to and high beams only worked on the first generation of lidar guns and those aren't in use anymore.

Is this the test you were talking about?

http://www.remotesystems.com/Do%20Jammers%20Work.pdf

You can see the first generation lidar guns under the "Out-of-Production Laser Guns" title.

http://guysoflidar.com/laser-guns.html
That's probably the one. Last time I did any real research on detectors was about 8 years ago when I got my V1. It still works great, so I haven't had to do any research since then.

I'm still wondering about the Intelligent Cruise Control laser. Does anyone know if the light emitted is the same wavelength / frequency as the police lidar? I bet a nice high quality lens would spread that beam across the whole road ahead and interfere with the lidar.

'Los
'Los
Old 04-26-2008, 05:14 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cruise control laser idea sounds reasonable to me. If the wavelength matches or is very close to the police laser it might be worth a try.

I did the software engineering for laser/infrared test equipment on the Kiowa warrior system a while back. I'm no expert but the idea sounds good.

Instead of diffusing the beam, and if there's a decent way to do it, you might be better off getting it to sweep the road in front back and forth. You need to be sitting down when you get the prices on custom laser lenses, too.

Diffusing the beam will reduce its power. An increase in power would be advised anyway.

I wonder how the V1 would tolerate a divice like that. You might have to disarm the V1's laser detection.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a little off topic but still has to do with my V1 and something on the infiniti's. Everytime i pass an infiniti FX or QX (those are the SUV's right?) they set off my V1's laser warning. Could it be because they have the adaptive cruise control and since they are higher up the beam is much higher and i am way down low in my G compared to them?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:30 PM
KahnQuistador

Nope, it's because certain high mounted brake lights are close to the police wavelength for lasers.

This ought to be a clue as to where the police laser wavelength is. I get the same thing with some GM SUVs and I found that, if I was close and their brake lights were on, the V1 would give a laser alert. When they got off the brakes, the warning went away.

Reminds me of when my project engineer on the test equipment program chewed my a$$ for not knowing the wavelegth of red in a pop quiz. I do software so I told to him to ask the hardware boys. It's an inside joke, I guess. Still can't remember what it is.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:34 PM
KahnQuistador

Looking at your post again, it just might be their laser.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
No its not from their brake lights, cause it's always when i am passing them head on. I've never had it go off from brake lights before, not that i've know of atleast.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:57 AM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
This is a little off topic but still has to do with my V1 and something on the infiniti's. Everytime i pass an infiniti FX or QX (those are the SUV's right?) they set off my V1's laser warning. Could it be because they have the adaptive cruise control and since they are higher up the beam is much higher and i am way down low in my G compared to them?
Taken from the V1 User Guide - pg. 13:
Laser False Alarms
1. Red neon, from stores and occasionally from brake lights of other cars (example: Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Olds Bravada and Buick Rainier), can imitate the characteristics of speed laser.
Solution: Move away from source.

2. The electrical systems of some cars generate electromagnetic interferences, triggering laser alerts.
How to test: Try V1 in a different car.
Possible solution: Try relocating detector within the
interfering car; also, your dealer may have a factory fix.

3. Adaptive cruise control systems using laser may cause laser alerts.
Solution: Switch to normal cruise control.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 PM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by bryan3d4
Taken from the V1 User Guide - pg. 13:
Laser False Alarms
1. Red neon, from stores and occasionally from brake lights of other cars (example: Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Olds Bravada and Buick Rainier), can imitate the characteristics of speed laser.
Solution: Move away from source.

2. The electrical systems of some cars generate electromagnetic interferences, triggering laser alerts.
How to test: Try V1 in a different car.
Possible solution: Try relocating detector within the
interfering car; also, your dealer may have a factory fix.

3. Adaptive cruise control systems using laser may cause laser alerts.
Solution: Switch to normal cruise control.

It looks like we have a good answer.

On answer three, is anyone having false alerts from your own adaptive cruise control or is it always somebody else's car? I don't have that option on mine.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Infinus

I love my V1, my first radar detector got stolen which gave me motivation to buy a new one. I tested out the 9500i and didn't like it too much due to lockout problems, so I bought a V1. The first day I used it I swore I'd throw it out the window =) A quick google search solved my problems and ever since I programed it I've been in love. The arrows are a lifesaver!