Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Door speakers in the Premium system...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:54 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quart
Someone asked this on another forum site and I gave my .02. While not an expert and I have yet to remove the door panels on my car, the 10-incher in the Premium systems doors is probably very thin. Similar to the 10-inch from the first generation M45 (photos below).

That was a very anemic sounding woofer. Also if you added an aftermarket sub to the doors, besides being thin mount like the Pioneer, EarthQuake, or other subs that are less than 3-inches deep. Another consideration is dampening the doors.... My doors rattle as it is with the stock system, add an aftermarket woofer, with aftermarket power and you are asking for trouble.
In my own car, I am planning on adding a sub in the spare-tire well and even placing capacitors on my door speakers to attenuate the bass there so to elimenate any rattle. (Capacitors on speakers are like bass blockers and cut out the lowest frequencies).
Although resistors, not capacitors have there place in car audio, it isn't in any hugh end car audio system. Not the basic bass blockers anyways. Invest in a good active or passive crossover and do away with those things. My mid basses will be crossovered with a proper bandpass range. I hope to hell these doors have 3in of depth as thats the depth on most 8 in midbasses. I was concerned about this since this is my first car I have decided that I will not change the stock locations.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 AM
MiniRX7

I have taken the door panels off.

I have the premium. YOU DO NOT HAVE MUCH MOUNTING DEPTH THERE!!!!

THe 10" subs look like a piece of crap. But i dont really care because i have 2 12's in the trunk...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
I have taken the door panels off.

I have the premium. YOU DO NOT HAVE MUCH MOUNTING DEPTH THERE!!!!

THe 10" subs look like a piece of crap. But i dont really care because i have 2 12's in the trunk...
Do you think there is about 2.9 inches there? What about space in front of the speaker till the door panel grill? Did the speakers look like 10 inches or are they exaggerating?

Also, were there any hidden clips that might get broken when taking off the panel?! Thats why I hate doing it, but might have to just break down and do it.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM
quart

Is this the speaker that you saw? This is what infiniti used in the M45 and I am curious as to whther it is the same thing in our cars.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM
SchoonerVanHlmt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if these will work as a direct "Drop In Replacement" for the low profile 10" Bose Subs in the doors, but I might consider changing to these Pioneer Subs with sound matting. Approximately 3" mounting depth, but not sure if they will fit until I pull my stock subs out of the door.

Pioneer TS-SW2541D 10" 4-OHM Shallow Component Subwoofer
Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by SchoonerVanHlmt
I don't know if these will work as a direct "Drop In Replacement" for the low profile 10" Bose Subs in the doors, but I might consider changing to these Pioneer Subs with sound matting. Approximately 3" mounting depth, but not sure if they will fit until I pull my stock subs out of the door.

Pioneer TS-SW2541D 10" 4-OHM Shallow Component Subwoofer
If you happen to engage in this stock removal, please measure clearance from mounting to window rolled down. Also, diameter of hole. Pictures would be great. If I end up doing it before you then I will also do this. Think I going to try and fit an MW 182 (9.5" diameter with 2.9" in clearance in the back).