Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

what car alarm do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what car alarm do you guys recommend?

like stated in the title. i am worry my car will be stolen one of these days from ricers around this area..also, is it a good idea to get a gps with it too? so i can locate it whenever it is stolen.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Dude are you serious?? Thats like saying well what bullet proof vest do you recommend I think I might get shot!

I can't recommend any alarms but if these are your feelings, I'd deffinately invest in that GPS. While an alarm might deter some thieves, anyone who wants your car is going to get it (however so they do) so better to just know where it is.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Dude are you serious?? Thats like saying well what bullet proof vest do you recommend I think I might get shot!

I can't recommend any alarms but if these are your feelings, I'd deffinately invest in that GPS. While an alarm might deter some thieves, anyone who wants your car is going to get it (however so they do) so better to just know where it is.
also, can you recommend a bullet proof vest too, im afraid whenever i drive through the ghetto, some fool is going to shoot me..what company is known for alarm systems? is viper a good company?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:59 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not get Lo-Jack instead?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
RF Tracking

In an RF vehicle tracking system such as VectorTrac or LoJack, a radio transceiver, usually called a Vehicle Locator Unit or VLU, is installed in the vehicle and remains inactive until the vehicle needs to be located. When this occurs, the VLU is activated, usually by means of a remote radio activation signal that is transmitted from local radio towers. Once activated, the VLU will transmit a radio signal which can then be received by receivers located throughout the coverage area, either installed on towers, roof tops, in police cars, or as with VectorTrac, a combination of all three. In the VectorTrac system, tower and rooftop receivers will analyze the VLU’s radio signal, calculating the angle of arrival and signal strength. These sites will then forward that information to a base station computer that will display the vehicle’s approximate location on a computerized map. Depending on the technology employed, the accuracy can be anywhere from several miles to a few hundred feet. Police or security cars equipped with Mobile Tracking Receivers are then directed to the area. When the tracking vehicles are within 2-3 miles of the stolen vehicle, they will begin to receive the signal and can then home in on its location. The tracking receivers will then pinpoint the exact location of the vehicle, even if it is hidden in a garage or cargo container.

GPS or RF Tracking -- Which one is better?
The answer to that depends entirely on what kind of vehicle tracking you want to do.

For fleet management purposes, GPS is the way to go. GPS is accurate, can track numerous vehicles simultaneously, the information gets to your computer within a minute showing you exactly where the vehicle is located, which direction it is traveling, how fast it is going, and so on. All of this is exactly what you would want in a fleet management system. However, the GPS device is rather expensive, time consuming to install, and the GPS antenna must be installed so that it can see the sky. Again, for fleet management purposes, these drawbacks can be justified by the cost benefits of having the system.

If, however, you want to recover stolen vehicles, RF tracking is the technology of choice. The reasons for this are many. Generally, only a very limited number of vehicles will be tracked at one time so tracking capacity is not an issue. Because the device remains in standby mode until the vehicle is stolen, both VectorTrac and LoJack can support virtually an unlimited number of vehicles. The RF tracking device is relatively inexpensive and easy to install, thus allowing widespread implementation and greater market penetration than would ever be possible with a more expensive GPS based system. In addition, the VLU can be hidden in any number of locations throughout the vehicle and there is no visible antenna. RF tracking systems also rely on their own infrastructure so revenue need not be shared with cell phone companies. Technically, RF tracking of stolen vehicles is very reliable as the radio signals are powerful and can penetrate obstructions such as buildings, garages and cargo containers, allowing vehicles to be recovered from places where a GPS system would be useless.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by Blackjack
RF Tracking

In an RF vehicle tracking system such as VectorTrac or LoJack, a radio transceiver, usually called a Vehicle Locator Unit or VLU, is installed in the vehicle and remains inactive until the vehicle needs to be located. When this occurs, the VLU is activated, usually by means of a remote radio activation signal that is transmitted from local radio towers. Once activated, the VLU will transmit a radio signal which can then be received by receivers located throughout the coverage area, either installed on towers, roof tops, in police cars, or as with VectorTrac, a combination of all three. In the VectorTrac system, tower and rooftop receivers will analyze the VLU’s radio signal, calculating the angle of arrival and signal strength. These sites will then forward that information to a base station computer that will display the vehicle’s approximate location on a computerized map. Depending on the technology employed, the accuracy can be anywhere from several miles to a few hundred feet. Police or security cars equipped with Mobile Tracking Receivers are then directed to the area. When the tracking vehicles are within 2-3 miles of the stolen vehicle, they will begin to receive the signal and can then home in on its location. The tracking receivers will then pinpoint the exact location of the vehicle, even if it is hidden in a garage or cargo container.

GPS or RF Tracking -- Which one is better?
The answer to that depends entirely on what kind of vehicle tracking you want to do.

For fleet management purposes, GPS is the way to go. GPS is accurate, can track numerous vehicles simultaneously, the information gets to your computer within a minute showing you exactly where the vehicle is located, which direction it is traveling, how fast it is going, and so on. All of this is exactly what you would want in a fleet management system. However, the GPS device is rather expensive, time consuming to install, and the GPS antenna must be installed so that it can see the sky. Again, for fleet management purposes, these drawbacks can be justified by the cost benefits of having the system.

If, however, you want to recover stolen vehicles, RF tracking is the technology of choice. The reasons for this are many. Generally, only a very limited number of vehicles will be tracked at one time so tracking capacity is not an issue. Because the device remains in standby mode until the vehicle is stolen, both VectorTrac and LoJack can support virtually an unlimited number of vehicles. The RF tracking device is relatively inexpensive and easy to install, thus allowing widespread implementation and greater market penetration than would ever be possible with a more expensive GPS based system. In addition, the VLU can be hidden in any number of locations throughout the vehicle and there is no visible antenna. RF tracking systems also rely on their own infrastructure so revenue need not be shared with cell phone companies. Technically, RF tracking of stolen vehicles is very reliable as the radio signals are powerful and can penetrate obstructions such as buildings, garages and cargo containers, allowing vehicles to be recovered from places where a GPS system would be useless.
thanks for the information, where can i get one? also, what car alarm system is recommended?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

You should be good with the stock alarm, it might not be as sensitive as other alarms but it will make noise and disable the engine from being started.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
You should be good with the stock alarm, it might not be as sensitive as other alarms but it will make noise and disable the engine from being started.
but it does not help me if someone is trying to steal my car...i want something more sensitive. also, how much should a lo-jack cost?

Last edited by GiGGaplease; 01-15-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
but it does not help me if someone is trying to steal my car...i want something more sensitive. also, how much should a lo-jack cost?
I got Low-Jack on my car through the dealer. I think I paid $600 dollars for that and the early warning system. You can probably get it cheaper by going to a Low-Jack installer though.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
Google? You probably could have answered all your own questions less recommendations.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:03 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by bboysteele
I got Low-Jack on my car through the dealer. I think I paid $600 dollars for that and the early warning system. You can probably get it cheaper by going to a Low-Jack installer though.
i went and look on the lo-jack website and it shows up that an infiniti dealership in new orleans is the only lo-jack installer within the 100 mile radius of baton rouge...
Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 PM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats weird because when I had Lo-Jack added on when I bought the car, I had to call up Lo-Jack a couple days later to setup an appointment and they came to my house to install it. It took the guy about 20 min too.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM
SteveG37

lo-jack is a waste, not all police forces have the tracking for it, and if your local force does by the time you find out your car is stolen the "ricers" will already have that baby stripped down to the frame. Put the "Club" on that G and along with the stock alarm and you will be fine!!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
lo-jack is a waste, not all police forces have the tracking for it, and if your local force does by the time you find out your car is stolen the "ricers" will already have that baby stripped down to the frame. Put the "Club" on that G and along with the stock alarm and you will be fine!!
That is why you get the early warning system...Lo-Jack is activated in my car (unlike what the other person posted) when the car is moved from its original location without one of the sensors they gave me. When it it moved more than 5 feet without the sensor in the car then Lo-Jack notifies me through different means that I setup on their website such as text message, phone call on number(s) you provide, or email. You rank each choose and they go down the list until they get a hold of them or you drive the car with the sensor in the car for 5-15 minutes. So what was posted earlier is not 100% correct. You still need to contact Lo-Jack and the police to have them track your car But I was also told that Lo-Jack will contact the police as well if they don't hear from you (not sure if this is true since I have heard they don't and they do). Just get the early warning system with the Lo-Jack.

Originally Posted by gmlee86
Thats weird because when I had Lo-Jack added on when I bought the car, I had to call up Lo-Jack a couple days later to setup an appointment and they came to my house to install it. It took the guy about 20 min too.
On this, the dealership might be the only place you can buy the system from but I would call Lo-Jack directly to see if you can buy it through them. I don't know a dealership that installs these though. It is usually a third party that is contracted through Lo-Jack.

Last edited by bboysteele; 01-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by gmlee86
oh i do not know...i probably selected the wrong option then.

Quick Reply: what car alarm do you guys recommend?