Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tech Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
nwryuber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech Package

Technology Package

- Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC)[5] with Preview Braking[6]
- Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS)
- Pre-Crash Seat Belts

For $1,150

Ok, the question that I have is.... what are pre-crash seatbelts, and of what importance are they?

From the information on the Infiniti website, the intelligent cruise control doesnt do anything... its just another way for them to make extra $$.

But, most interestingly to me, because I have found no information, what is the Adaptive Front lighting system?

Also, do you think that the 4-wheel active steer is very necessary? thats another $1300.

I'm just worried that I'll buy a G that doesnt have the tech package, and doesnt have 4 wheel active steer, and I'll feel like I've got the cheap version and I'm missing out on some excitement! I do know taht I definately want the premium and navigation package though... wouldnt buy one without it.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't think ICC will be useful to you, than I wouldn't get the tech package. AFS swivels the lights in the direction you are turning. This is actually a very cool feature. Pre-crash belts allows the car to prepare for an iminent crash based on feedback from the ICC laser (beam is constantly on). I don't have any feedback on the 4WAS as I don't have that feature. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
- ICC is useful is you like to cruise on the highways. I for one would never use that feature so I don't mind not having it.

-To me having the AFS and 4WAS is something you should consider having based upon where you live. I live in South Florida so these features are not neccessary where I live. If you don't feel they will benefit you, do not get them.

As far as having a 'cheap' version, spend the money on the Premium and Navigation packages and if you desire a more responsive feel and aggresive look go with the Sport Package too. The Tech and 4WAS should be the last things most people will consider. Unless you live up North on whinding roads etc.. You should be good without those packages.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Degenerazn

You probably won't even be able to tell the different w/ 4 wheel active steer. Save the money on tech package and go out and get a nice clear bra for your car.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM
PainProphet

Those are the two packages I did without, got everything else and I'm very happy with my G.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have them on mine... I love the headlights... ICC can be nice depending road... and 4WAS... well ive not gotta a chance to test it yet...but anything that can help with handling curves is a + in my book...

But when it came down to buying... I couldve done without both... The car I wanted just happen to have them so I said oh well and bought a Fully Loaded - spoiler.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Sivle

I have the tech package and recently went on a trip to the coast...man...that is one useful feature...never had to adjust the speed whenever they was a car in front of me when on the highway...but I could have without that package as well...

for the AFS...its a cool feature but I hate it that the left doesn't work when you're at a standstill unlike the right. For the people who have the tech package...you know what i mean. Not sure why they did that.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 2 cents on 4WAS....

GET IT if you are a suburban driver that wants to just feel more in control on exit/on ramps, lane changes, spirited city/highway driving...I rarely will go to the track

DO NOT get it if you plan on tracking your G and if you are planning extensive tuning to make it a track performer because the 1 degree it gives you will hinder your car's natural personality on the track when cornering, drifting, etc...

P.S. As far as the clear bra a real good one installed will cost $700+, so why bother getting that to put something on your car when you can even repaint your car to OEM paint code at a shop your dealership goes to a few years down the road for the same price or even less actually (I had a 2000 Lexus GS400 Bumper repainted to OEM for about $400) and get it new again????...me personally I dont like crap on my car...It makes me feel like one of those poindexters that keep the clear film on their cell phone screens and with my luck on the highway a rock will hit my G just inches past the edge of the bra or the windshield haha....to each his own yo...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-11-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have the Technology package and use it every single day and would never want to not have it. I consider it money well spent.

ICC - The intelligent cruise uses the sensor in the front lower grill to detect objects/vehicles in front of you and adapt your speed to slow down before you collide with them without you breaking your cruise. It also adds the minor feature of showing you a digital speed readout in the information panel when you have your cruise set. If you are set at 70 and the car ahead is at 55 you'll automatically slow to 55 and maintatin one of 3 user set following distances. When you change lanes to pass your ICC will automatically resume 70 mph. I personally love it. Con - the rectangular opening in the lower grille is ugly.

Preview Braking is a safety feature that pretensions the seatbelts and applies panic braking if the car detects an imminent collision. It activates probably a split second before your reaction time would allow you to brake. If it senses that you're braking to avoid collision but that you're not braking hard enough, it applies additional braking force.

AFS - Allows the headlights to swivel several degrees into the direction in which you are making a sharp turn. it helps greatly when maiking a shapr turn in the dark because you can see the upcoming turn much better. They don't swivel left unless vehicle speed is > 16 MPH and they don't swivel as far as they do to the right to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. It is defeatable. I like this but it's not extremely useful for me, but it is extremely cool and people love to see the lights turn when you turn the wheel.

Personally, I think it's more than worth the $1150.

I opted against the 4WAS.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
go4gr8

I never even considered the Tech package. I was even debating on the Nav package - which I did not get. I prefer to be attentive to my driving and not let too many computer nannies intrude on my fun.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Gday
Banned

Actually, there is a huge difference. Try driving one with one and one w/o one. The difference is night and day. There is a video on youtube regarding the 4WAS and it shows you how it works.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
only option i like out of that package is the adaptive headlights...other than that i wouldn't care for it

if u go on road trips and use CC then it might be useful...i for one rather drive my car than let the car drive me
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imo, the tech package is a waste of money.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tech -I got the tech package use ICC daily on my beltway to work, nice feature every lux coupe should have. It's also handy for navigating IPOD for the brief seconds your not looking at the road ahead.. robocar always is. It's also handy for slowing wreakless drivers down since the Laser uses the same frequency the police use and it will trip laser detectors. If your a track driver though I'd skip tech due to the auto pre-pressurizing of the breaks.

Sport package- the best bang for the buck, getting a G without it... we'll only if it's for Mom, oh hell I'd still get it.

Nav -There are better Nav systems, have a Garmin Nuvi 680 and wish I had the same amount and class of POI the Nuvi has, however the Nuvi doesn't have voice navigation which makes entering addresses a breeze, I do it on the go now.

Spoiler -I'd get the spoiler with the car, adding it afterwards while possible leaves the light in the window which I'd imagine most won't find appealing even if it's rewired to the spoiler and disconnected.

Illuminated Kickplates, nice touch and can be added afterwards on Journey and sport packages, it's not as plug and play as they say apparently though.

4WAS - still questionable if suspension mods will be possible/hindered with this option. Passed on it myself.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:01 AM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC

Nav -There are better Nav systems,......
i hope u know that the G37's navi is ranked #1

Quick Reply: Tech Package